Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just bought an 06 Tundra and I'm looking at weight distribution hitches so I can two a car trailer. I know nothing about the hitches so I've looking at the different options. Can anyone tell me the difference, (or just point me in the direction of some info), between thte trunion and round bar types?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
No real difference in performance as a pure WDH. Both work equally well. But, if you want to add the Reese type dual cam sway control, you should use the trunion type bars. I am a BIG fan of the Reese dual cam system. I would recommend getting a Reese trunion WDH or the Equal-i-zer as recommended earlier. The Equal-i-zer can be ordered from RVWholesalers.com for $399 shipped. Might be more than just a WDH, but you will be one happy tower with it.

Does the trailer have brakes? If not, get them installed.

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks for the reply, I will look at the hitches you have recommended. The trailer has brakes on all four wheels.

How about length; I wanted the 24' trailer but would a 21' handle better?

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
No real difference in performance as a pure WDH. Both work equally well. But, if you want to add the Reese type dual cam sway control, you should use the trunion type bars.
<snip>
Tom
Adding a bit to what Tom has said...for those who want a few more details. There are three potentially important differences between the trunnion and and round bar WDH.

1. Max load rating: Slight advantage to the trunnion ...Round bars are typically available with 550, 750, and 1000 lb spring bars. Trunnion hitches are available with 600, 800, and 1200 lb spring bars.

2. Ease of use with dual cam anti-sway: Definite advantage to the trunnion. IF the truck is perfectly aligned with the trailer, no real difference. However, if the truck and trailer are at an angle, then it's much, much easier to hookup with a trunnion because the trunnion can be inserted into the hitch after the cams are attached. The round bar must be inserted into the hitch first. Note: this is not a factor unless the dual cam anti-sway is used.

3. Cost: Possible advantage to the round bar. Although Reese (and sister company Draw-Tite) appear to be pricing both hitch types the same, you can find lower cost round bar off-brand hitches that perform just as well as Reese brand round bars.

If you are fortunate enough to be towing a trailer that needs a WDH but doesn't need much if any anti-sway because it is inheritently sway resistant (such as the TrailManor travel trailer I tow), then a round bar (with perhaps friction sway control) is the better choice. OTOH, if you're towing a trailer that's highly prone to sway and needs very good anti-sway, then a trunnion hitch in combination with a dual-cam is strongly recommended.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
Until two weeks ago, I was using a Draw-Tite friction anti-sway bar. What a piece of junk. My main hitch is a Draw-Tite WD, with round bars (1,000 lbs). About two months ago, I bought the Reese HP dual cam and FINALLY replaced the friction bar. We camped at the coast two weekends ago and on the drive over we encountered 20+ mph winds. What an improvement! I tow a 5,600 lb (actual scale weight), 26 ft Outback travel trailer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts