Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using the Superlift Truspeed calibrator, have you had any problems with it? Recently my speedo would not move until the truck was warmed up, then it would work fine. A couple days ago, I noticed the odometer was racking up .1 mile every 3 sec. even when stopped with the engine off. I bypassed the truspeed and speedo works fine now. Any similar experiences?

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That is pretty weird. Is it a new unit? maybe true speed can fix or replace it if it is. That sucks, I hope you can have it corrected.

I never bothered recalibrating mine, I just do the math. According to my gps which is hardly ever used and not exactly accurate, I am approximately 10% above what the speedo says(on 285/75/16's) and I have verified this calculation with the annoying electronic "YOUR SPEED" signs in my area. For those who don't know, the signs I am referring to have a radar built in and blink at you as you pass, letting you know how fast you are going.
I also calculate the mileage is 10% over, since I put the tires on at 76k, I have to add 10% from that point on to arrive at the current miles. Sounds like a pita huh!
Your tires are bigger so I'm not sure what your % over would be. Good luck.

·
The Tire Guy
261 Posts
I had similar issues when I installed mine, it was a bad connection. I had to tear it down and check everything again, once I found it and fixed hadn't had a problem since. Did you tap into the tranny or behind the gauge cluster?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty weird. Is it a new unit? maybe true speed can fix or replace it if it is. That sucks, I hope you can have it corrected.

I never bothered recalibrating mine, I just do the math. According to my gps which is hardly ever used and not exactly accurate, I am approximately 10% above what the speedo says(on 285/75/16's) and I have verified this calculation with the annoying electronic "YOUR SPEED" signs in my area. For those who don't know, the signs I am referring to have a radar built in and blink at you as you pass, letting you know how fast you are going.
I also calculate the mileage is 10% over, since I put the tires on at 76k, I have to add 10% from that point on to arrive at the current miles. Sounds like a pita huh!
Your tires are bigger so I'm not sure what your % over would be. Good luck.
I've had it less than a year. I just figured it out this was causing the problem this afternoon so I haven't had a chance to call Superlift yet. Hopefully they will do something. The speedo is off about 15%. I have a GPS, so the Truspeed was more of a convenience then a necessity.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had similar issues when I installed mine, it was a bad connection. I had to tear it down and check everything again, once I found it and fixed hadn't had a problem since. Did you tap into the tranny or behind the gauge cluster?
I wired it behind the gauge cluster. I took everything apart and checked the connections. Everything is crimped, soldered, and heat shrank. I installed it about 9 months ago, and it has worked perfectly until recently. When I flip the switch to the other setting, the speedo needle goes to 90 mph and stays there.

·
Forum Admin
8,260 Posts
You're using the 33002? Has the unit rattled around where ever you have it placed? Or do you have it mounted in a stationary position away from interference?

If that switching problem you described happens when you switch the unit's from 1--->2, then it's the unit malfunctioning. Because you don't connect the unit with extra wires to use the two settings, just need the one wiring pathway setup. I just use the one switch for mine, and have it mounted in the glove box with velcro up on one side so it doesn't get knocked.

Here's something to try, reset the Truspeed unit by turning the dial counterclockwise 15 full turns. Then recalibrate it using your GPS. Then try and recreate the errors you saw before. If you have checked the B+, Grnd, Green & Yellow wires for connectivity, then there's not much else you can do. The Truspeed works by intercepting the speed sensor pulses and changing the speed sensor signal to the speedometer by clamping the signal. So there has to be either an electrical interference in the line or a physical disturbance causing an electrical interference (ie., it was dropped and something internal is jacked up, or a wire is getting gnarled behind your dash somewhere).

Try the reset and double check your wires from end-2-end. If that doesn't work, call or email Superlift. I'm gonna bet they tell you to check your wires and reset it too.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't think to try resetting it. I cut the green and yellow wires near the Truspeed module and spliced them together. The speedo works, so I know the connections behind the dash and the wires to that point are good. I have power and a good ground to the module. I have it solidly mounted under the center console where the rear heating ducts, etc. are routed, so it's in a safe location. I just tried switching from 1-2 hoping the problem was only in one circuit. I'll reset it tomorrow and hope it works. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts