Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Thought I would start my own thread on this..

I have a 04 Sequoia that has always been maintained by my local Toyota Dealer. A few months ago I started noticing an oil leak on my driveway. Finally got to crawl under the truck and saw some oil, so I thought I'd wait and take it to the dealer first chance I got..while in for a regular tune-up.

Drop off truck and the friendly service rep says he will look into the leak, and advise. Got a call around closing saying truck was ready and there was no leak...Heck , they even ran "dye" through the engine and found no leak..leak might be air conditioning condensation.
Told him it was oil and I'd be glad to point it out to him..Sorry, but all the techs have gone home, so I can point it out the next day.

Next AM I drive down there, meet the service rep. and walk back to where my Sequoia is on a lift. There is a radial sling pattern of oil, just about where the transmission connects to the drive shaft( U Joint). The U joint itself is dry. There is also a fair amount of red oil on the entire heat shield area as well as the threaded studs. The rep looks at the transmission pan and says it is dry..( it is).. He said thats the only place where ATF can leak from.. It can't be from this engine..I must have run over something and it " got up in there" and is now working its way out. I roll my eyes, what can I do? Its like talking to a wall, says sorry I don't believe him, but if there were a leak he'd fix it, but there is not.

My truck has 41,000 miles on it and is still covered under the 6yr /60,000 powertrain warranty.
The dealer said he will have the mechanic clean off the bottom for no charge. I get it home, and they did not clean anything..so I took some pictures.
A few weeks later I get the VSC/ Trac off light and take it back in. ( see appropriate thread). Now the same service rep says they went ahead and cleaned the previous area really well. ( probably to cover their butts)
Thanks to this website I just found the TSB TC007-006.
This talks about a small transmission fluid leak at the driveshaft slip yoke, and calls for replacing the yoke.

What should I do?

Thanks
Tony

p.s.. The service rep still says there is no leak.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I'd say if the rep is not performing to your liking, (sorry to say it like this, but) assuming you are indeed correct, take it up with the next person up the ladder.
A fluid leak from a vehicle under warranty is absolutely unacceptable.

Repeat as necessary higher up the ladder until they resolve the issue.

That's their job.

It may be hard, but do your best to be as polite as possible for a reasonable time. Give them every opportunity to do what is right before you turn up the heat ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I just struggled with this same dealership, re: VSC / Trac Off light problem. They need to replace the Anti Skid ECU at a cost of $1800. I was able to mention that there were some "TSB"'s re: this issue ( THank You TundraSolutions!) The Service manager phoned me back and said , even though it is 5,000 out of the bumper to bumper warranty...they will pick up 1/3..Toyota will pick up 1/3 and I can pick up one third. That is better than the whole amount, but I still think this is a problem that should have been fixed for free. I still have to deal with them on this transmission leak, but now that they have wiped everything clean..I have to wait. I'm just hoping that I will be able to see the leak, before the 6/60K powertrain warranty is up. I think perhaps, that is what they are waiting for.

I think its kinda funny how I asked the service rep, what color ATF fluid is an he said it is not red....more like a "Plum" color. ( rolling eyes)

Tony

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Ok Thought I would start my own thread on this..

I have a 04 Sequoia that has always been maintained by my local Toyota Dealer. A few months ago I started noticing an oil leak on my driveway. Finally got to crawl under the truck and saw some oil, so I thought I'd wait and take it to the dealer first chance I got..while in for a regular tune-up.

Drop off truck and the friendly service rep says he will look into the leak, and advise. Got a call around closing saying truck was ready and there was no leak...Heck , they even ran "dye" through the engine and found no leak..leak might be air conditioning condensation.
Told him it was oil and I'd be glad to point it out to him..Sorry, but all the techs have gone home, so I can point it out the next day.

Next AM I drive down there, meet the service rep. and walk back to where my Sequoia is on a lift. There is a radial sling pattern of oil, just about where the transmission connects to the drive shaft( U Joint). The U joint itself is dry. There is also a fair amount of red oil on the entire heat shield area as well as the threaded studs. The rep looks at the transmission pan and says it is dry..( it is).. He said thats the only place where ATF can leak from.. It can't be from this engine..I must have run over something and it " got up in there" and is now working its way out. I roll my eyes, what can I do? Its like talking to a wall, says sorry I don't believe him, but if there were a leak he'd fix it, but there is not.

My truck has 41,000 miles on it and is still covered under the 6yr /60,000 powertrain warranty.
The dealer said he will have the mechanic clean off the bottom for no charge. I get it home, and they did not clean anything..so I took some pictures.
A few weeks later I get the VSC/ Trac off light and take it back in. ( see appropriate thread). Now the same service rep says they went ahead and cleaned the previous area really well. ( probably to cover their butts)
Thanks to this website I just found the TSB TC007-006.
This talks about a small transmission fluid leak at the driveshaft slip yoke, and calls for replacing the yoke.

What should I do?

Thanks
Tony

p.s.. The service rep still says there is no leak.

Time to go to your next closest Toyota dealer. Johnnnny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts