Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Returned from a trip up to Big Bear to find fluid dripping from the steering gear on my 4x4 Tundra. I traced the leak to a pair of approximately 1/4" OD hoses mounted to the frame just behind where the upper suspension arm connects on the driver's side of the engine bay. These hoses have plastic caps that do not seal tightly - very odd. You can also see these hoses peeking above the suspension when looking in through the wheel well. The hoses drop down just a foot or so before joining narrow fixed metal lines that appear to disappear under or into the bottom of the engine block - I cannot tell for sure without pulling parts or getting a mirror. I have the factory manual for the truck, and have gone through the diagrams page by page trying to identify these two lines with no luck. Any ideas? The leak seemed to quit after just one day without causing any problems, although I think I can now detect just the slightest bit of a rough idle. I can take a picture of the lines if that would help - but these lines are pretty obvious and should be easily identified based on my description. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,534 Posts
Sounds like your talking about the front differential breather tubes. If you recently serviced the front diff, you might have slightly overfilled it. When the fluid heats up, it expands and can/will blow by through these breathers. It's normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't fill the diff, but it was the first time it's been run in 4wd in a while. Combined with going from sea level to 10,000 feet and back, this sounds correct. Thanks much Remmy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts