Toyota Tundra Forums banner

TSS Edition 4.6L exhaust... difference I never really noticed

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Tundra-TSS 
#1 ·
I knew that my 2013 CrewMax 4.6L SR5 TSS had 3" exhaust front-to-back. It's got a 2-in-1-out muffler. So dual 3" exhaust from the headers to the muffler then single 3" exhaust out of the muffler. Cool. I knew that. What I didn't know was that regular (non-TSS) 4.6L Tundras don't have 3" exhaust. Maybe 2" or 2 1/2"? My next door neighbor just got a Double Cab with the 4.6L SR5 and he definitely does not have the same exhaust system as the TSS. Surely having 3" exhaust has to effect power output/delivery and gas mileage (and of course sound). Does anyone know how much power is gained with the TSS 3" exhaust? I'm not thinking a ton of difference, but maybe 10-15 hp??? So I'm guessing instead of 310 hp I might be looking at 320-325 hp. Just guessing. Could just be 312 hahaha... who knows. Any differences in torque? I know that some freer flowing exhaust systems can actually lower the torque output. All this time I thought the TSS package was purely cosmetic (side steps/running boards, grill insert, wheels), but turns out there might be something on the side of added performance (maybe a little). So does anyone else know of any other "performance" upgrades that come as part of the TSS package?
Thanks,
Tony

#3 ·
From what I could find when shopping for my truck, the TSS is a DISTRIBUTOR package that takes the place of the TRD versions. What they do is use the TRD packages as a guide and make their own package so that the cost of the package goes to the distributor instead of Toyota. It's similar to stores selling their own brand of cereal instead of the regular brands. The difference might also be because you got a CM and your buddy got a DC. The two have a few different base features and maybe the exhaust set up is one of them.

#4 ·
I noticed when I went to put a polished stainless steel tip on my 5.7 exhaust, it is 3" at the end, but only 2.75 from the muffler to where it gets larger at the tip. I cut off the 3" part with a sawzall to make the tip fit. It looks like it came from the factory this way. I already had the stainless tip from a previous truck laying around.

#7 ·
not comparable to the trd exhaust and i am not buying that it is not the same system as any other tundra from 2010 or 2011 and newer. would love to see pictures.
I'll try to get some pictures. I'm not trying to say that other Tundra's don't have this exhaust. I'm just noticing that a lot of Tundras around here have smaller diameter exhaust systems. I noticed an older 5.7 CrewMax today that had smaller diameter exhaust. Just an observation. I'm not trying to sell that my exhaust is special or superior, just wondering if it is a TSS specific item. Maybe I can get some video. Depends on what the wife has planned for me after work LOL.

#11 ·
I Love my TRD duals. I feel that I have more torque and upper end HP. I can spin the tires from a stop with the nannies off, couldn't do that before. Also, it gets really good milage when I am a good boy in control of my right foot.
It is a larger diameter than the old stock exhaust, I think.

As a side note: My dad and I were looking at a new Honda Accord for him and they sell a sport version of the 2.4L engine which gets dual exhaust as an upgrade for that package. The specs do mention an increase in both HP and TQ. Using extrapolation for a V8 motor twice that size. My guess is 8-12 HP, and 3-7 ft/pounds torque on the 4.6L. Purely a guess.
Anyhow I really like the way it runs and sounds.
Sorry in advance, if you guys feel this is not relevant to this discussion but I'm just so freakin happy with this truck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.