Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

I've got a Tundra '01 V8 4.7L, 230k miles. (I got it around 4 months ago)
On one of my regular checks the truck started to be low on coolant and it started to get worse and worse.
When I start the car in the morning it smokes noticeable for about the first mile, I would guess cold temperatures and humidity collecting in the engine and exhaust?
I noticed little traces under the radiator so I changed it but the problem keeps continuing, now I have to refill every 50 miles.
There are not really any signs of leaks under the pump or radiator. When I look at the dipstick I see nice amber colored oil, nothing under the filler cap.

Any ideas where the coolant might be going?
Could it be the intake gasket leaking?
Does it make sense to do a pressure test, would that tell me where the leak is?

I appreciate any help,
Chris

IMG_1024.jpeg
IMG_1025.jpeg
IMG_1026.jpeg

·
Registered
260 Posts
When you start it and it’s smoking, get out and smell for antifreeze. If you get get any moisture in the tail pipe get a little of that on your finger and smell it as well. I guess it’s possible that it’s burning it but not getting in the oil, but it seems kind of unlikely. It’s definitely going somewhere, so if there’s no leaks, it’s gotta be getting into the cylinders and and evaporating out the exhaust. I don’t know where else it could be. Sounds like intake gaskets could be your culprit, but someone else might have another idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
You would hope its a leak and not a head gasket because thats the easier ones to fix, and cheaper, but it does seem like a lot of coolant to be going through and not seeing come out anywhere. That being said anythings possible and some leaks come out in the weirdest places. Here's an example of one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i found it.
The top hose to the radiator was replaced before but the engine side connection point was not cleaned and had light corrosion and dirt on. It seems that it was not sealing and creeping out underneath the hose. Then the fan blew it back. I went to get an uv die to see where it was coming from and there was nothing I could see from top even with the blacklight, but from under the left side it was just everywhere. It took me a while to trace it down even with the uv.

I took the hose off and cleaned it really good, now it's stable since 3 days...
I guess the morning smoke is normal when it's really cold. (I'm not used to engines bigger than 2L..)

Thank you for all help!

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Thanks for the update. I had something similar happen to me with a hair line crack in a plastic radiator top tank.
Took me forever to trace down that very slow coolant leak.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I slowly but surely lost coolant...not huge amounts, but the overflow tank would go down, down, down over a couple of months. Turned out to simply be a slightly leaky radiator cap...replaced at 105K, still good coolant levels at 120K.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts