Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Tundra seems to have a pessimistic fuel gage.
When the gage reads a little past 1/4 there is still at
least 1/2 of a tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Tundra 07 fuel gage

I noticed the first 1/2 of the tank seems to go REALLY fast on mine also.... But when I fill it up it is not bad at all

·
Registered
251 Posts

My 2007 Tundra seems to have a pessimistic fuel gage.
When the gage reads a little past 1/4 there is still at
least 1/2 of a tank.
I wonder if thats on purpose...On page 373 of the users manual, it talks about possible damage to the catalytic converters if the vehicle is ran with an extremely low fuel tank. Just a thought!

·
Registered
146 Posts

I wonder if thats on purpose...On page 373 of the users manual, it talks about possible damage to the catalytic converters if the vehicle is ran with an extremely low fuel tank. Just a thought!

Why would it damage the catalytic converterters to run the tank low. I can see a fuel pump of pluging a fuel filter but the cats :confused: .

My truck does the same thing. I am sitting at just under 1/4 gonna try to run it low this time. I have yet to put over 20 gal in the tank.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Why would it damage the catalytic converterters to run the tank low. I can see a fuel pump of pluging a fuel filter but the cats :confused: .

My truck does the same thing. I am sitting at just under 1/4 gonna try to run it low this time. I have yet to put over 20 gal in the tank.
I have no idea why it would damage it, I'm just quoting the Ops manual.

·
Registered
49 Posts

When I filled up right when the gas light came on, it took 20 gallons. I drove until the computer said "0 miles to empty" and actually a few miles more and it still only took a little over 21 gallons. I didn't have any problems with fuel pickup at those fuel levels even at full throttle.

·
Registered
528 Posts

I noticed this as well. When the gas light came on in my Dodge Quad Cab it meant that there was only 8% gas left.

What ever happened to E meaning empty???

·
Registered
55 Posts

most people on some other forums, including myself are only getting 20 or a tiny bit over 20 gallons in after driving a while after the light comes on, i noticed on my tacoma also that the gauge moved fast throught the first half and slower through the second, probably has a lot to do with the shape of the tank and position of the sensor/pump assembly. supposed to be a 26 gallon tank so that means you ahve 6 more gallons after the light comes on which translates to about 60-80 miles.. but im not go to drive it till it dies to find out.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Because when you run your tank very low, the fuel pump maybe unable to pick up fuel which causes fuel pressure dropouts. That causes the fuel mixture to run lean which then causes the exhaust temps to skyrocket. The higher than normal exhaust heat will kill your cats. As it is, most manufacturers set their mixture to rich when you go wide open throttle, this not only improves overall power but also keeps the exhaust temps cooler. The EPA doesn't test at WOT so the mfr's could care less of all the extra HC going out the exhaust pipe.

I still think you're more likely to cause damage to your pump than you are to the cats. The cats have to be warrantied for 10 years so maybe they're being extra careful but I'm sure the manufacturer would love to sell you a new pump.

·
Registered
45 Posts

first fill up today, gas guage indicated 1/4 tank filled with 16.4 gallons ??? From reading the post seems like everyone is experiencing the same.

oh...mileage/gallon went up 9.6 to 9.8 :eek: ........

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

first fill up today, gas guage indicated 1/4 tank filled with 16.4 gallons ??? From reading the post seems like everyone is experiencing the same.

Wow, i thought my 13.8 mpg was low for the first tank. Is your foot a little heavy or something? Pretty easy & fun to do though isn't it?

13.8 was virtually all city driving BTW.

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts

Because when you run your tank very low, the fuel pump maybe unable to pick up fuel which causes fuel pressure dropouts. That causes the fuel mixture to run lean which then causes the exhaust temps to skyrocket. The higher than normal exhaust heat will kill your cats. As it is, most manufacturers set their mixture to rich when you go wide open throttle, this not only improves overall power but also keeps the exhaust temps cooler. The EPA doesn't test at WOT so the mfr's could care less of all the extra HC going out the exhaust pipe.

I still think you're more likely to cause damage to your pump than you are to the cats. The cats have to be warrantied for 10 years so maybe they're being extra careful but I'm sure the manufacturer would love to sell you a new pump.
I could see this happening in an older vehicle but not a brand new one where virtually all aspects of the combustion process are controlled by a computer. Although I do not know for sure, I'd have to think that low fuel pressure would throw a code and at the very least change the ECU's fuel maps to compensate for less fuel. But then again, if it did, why would the manual warn otherwise.

As far as dumping in more fuel at WOT, this is generally true in newer vehicles for that very reason, killing the cats with too hot EGT's. However, in most cases, this robs the engine of power if the mixture of air-to-fuel is too rich (which it generally is for safety). A safe leaner mix (say 12-13:1 air-fuel ratio) is ideal and I think you'll find that alot of vehicles today tend to approach the 10:1 mark at WOT near redline, fairly fuel rich. I leaned out my 4Runner to 13:1 (down from 10.5:1) at redline and saw significant peak power increases as well as better throttle response and more torque at lower rpms from tuning the air-fuel ratio.

·
Registered
81 Posts

On my 5.7 L I too have seen the "pessimistic" fuel gauge. I have filled the tank twice and it was never really came close to being actually empty. I am getting 15 mpg per the computer in driving that is 2/3 around town driving with hills and 1/3 flat freeway. I am pretty pleased with that.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Just for fun I ran mine till the light was on and the computer read 0 miles left. I then drove another 20 miles before filling up. I put 22 gallons in. I could have gone another 50 or so miles. Diffirent from what I am use to but once I get it figgured out it will all be good.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Just for fun I ran mine till the light was on and the computer read 0 miles left. I then drove another 20 miles before filling up. I put 22 gallons in. I could have gone another 50 or so miles. Diffirent from what I am use to but once I get it figgured out it will all be good.

·
Registered
7 Posts

So go ahead - have a laugh:mad:

I also have a new 07 LTD Tundra and I just hate things that don't work right. My fuel gauge and computer in my mind are not working right. I brought this to the service managers attention and was asked to drop it off so they could check out my complaint. I'm in Canada, so everything is metric so here goes.
Our 07 tanks are 100 liter and with the fuel gauge on empty the computer telling me I have only 15 kilometers of driving left I head for the gas station. I have been filling up with between 78 - 80 liters of fuel which is about 80% of the fuel tank capacity. In other words we have a 20% reserve which I find very stupid, the last thing I want to be doing is quessing how much fuel I have left when I'm in the bush!
The dealership has only sold two Tundras this year and have very little product knowledge, so he asks me if have run it past the indicated computer readings and run out of gas. So being the smart *** that I can be when I'm not happy I ask him if he would like to step off the side of a highrise so he could test the law of gravity for me! Okay, we will check it out, also had a few outher things done while it was in for service (3500K).
When I came back to pick it up he had no answers for me so we measure up the tank (61cu/in per liter) and it checks out for 100 liter size. So there's only one thing to do right - run out of gas - lets see how far we can get.
The following Saturday I grab my 10liter spare fuel can off my quad and talk the wife into a lovely ride up the valley to check out the raging rivers for the day. Off we go coffe in hand and it's a beutyfull day. Just before hope I'm on empty and still driving, 20, 50 80 kilometers past emty my stomach and the scaks tell me it's time for lunch so we pull over and have a wonderfull lunch. Still beaming about how far we have come on empty I'm say lets continue up the canyon. At just over -120K and on my way up a hill in the slow lane she starts to cough and I have just enough momentum to get past the concrete barriers and pull slightly off the hiway. So here we are, brand new Toyota Tundra out of fuel on a busy hiway with two lanes of traffic trying to merge into the fast lane so as not take my rearend off. ( not talking about the truck here) I'm feel a bit embarrased grabbing for the fuel can as a Dodge coming up the hill is laughing and then boots it right beside me. Oh boy! Oh Boy!
I proceed to the gas tank flip open the lid and fish for my keys, I go through my keys not once, not twice but several more times to find that my gas key for the fuel lock is not there. I have this alfull funny feeling in my stomach, I look around at the traffic with this sickaning feeling that they must know whats just happened. I put the gas can back into the cargo hold and jump into the cab. I scramble through my storage cases thinking the dealer may have left the key in one, but nothing is found. I decide to take a small screw driver out to see if I could maybe pry it off - not a chance. I jump back into the cab and call the dealer from my cell and ask them if they might perhaps have my fuel tank key since I took their suggestion to run out of gas to find out just how big my tank is. The service manager, in a nervious voice said no sir - I'm sure I handed it back to you. I reminded him that I had returned the ignition key while he was standing in front of me.
I ask him how I could remove the gas cap easily and thinking the worse because I did not want to damage my new truck - but it was easy, thats if you have one, you use a plumbers pliers and squeeze the top and pop off the locking part the just unscrew the remainder of the cap. Grat know where do I get a plumbers pliers!.
Then I remember, the 1-888 number. Toyota to the rescue. I call the Toyota service and get someone in who knows what city or country on the phone. Sir Can we be of service. I say yes, I'm out of fuel about 20k North of Hope,BC on the #1 Hiway. Are you parked safely sir, No I reply I'm parked in the slow lane on a hill. Thank you sir. Is there a Toyota dealer ship near you. Thats when I lost it. !!!!!!!!!!!!! Please sir don't use that type of language with me. Then listen to what I'm saying and get that##%@^&&!!! towing truck on its way out here now!
At that point my wife looks at me and says boy you sure get excited easaly.About 1 kilometer ahead of us is a small road side picnic area beside a small lake I make a polite suggestion that she should perhaps take the dog for a nice walk!
Approximatley 45minuets later a tow truck shows up and the driver asks with a smile on his face Did your fuel gauge not say empty! Yes I say, and attempt to tell him the story even showing him the service invoice to really prove that I purposely ran out of gas. I ask if he might have a plumbers pliers with him and he leans over into his cab and pulls one out. He hands it to me and said you do the honours, so I grab the pliers open them up and with as much force as I could ripped the top of the locking gas cap off. It was almost delightfull to here the cracking of plastic against pure hard steal and the ripping sound as the cap gave loose. I could feel the pressure release in me as the 10 liter gas can slowly empted into the tank. The tow truck driver mosied up to my window as I'm resetting the gauges and computer. As I'm signing the form he suggest that I should perhaps turn around and head back into town to fillup my fuel tank. I think that was adding insult to injury but I drive forward just to pick up my wife and then headed back to town.

So, here is what I learnt
-Tank is 100 liters
-Gauge and computer only register 80 liters because Toyota dosn't think we are smart enough to know empty signals like E, a empty gaslight, low fuel message and you only have 10k of fuel left.
-Yes, if you step off a high rise you will immediately confirm the Law of Gravity, why not E = empty
-resetting the gauges and computer did not work
-Service managers don't know every thing about the vehicles they service and he still dosn't
-Yes, they did pay for a new gas cap and no solutions
-My wife still loves me even if I didn't check for a gas key before we left-Like I always check your my gas lock key.
-I stll don't understand why there is a 20% reserve, could it be a faulty float in our tanks and Toyoa just hasn't owned up to it yet.?
-this stunt was completed by a non-plumber, if you try this on your own take a plumber with you-Toyota would expect nothing less to be safe.
-I will go to any length to discover the truth - even if it's embarassing

Thanks for reading my story on Tundra fuel tanks!

RSK:cool::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts

I had a long road trip planned and didn't want to stop for gas along the way. Gauge was at 1/2 tank. Put a total of 9 gallons in to top it off. The gauge is definetly off.

Avg. 17.5 on the road trip. Only 2k miles on the truck.

B~

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
There is one good thing about the large reserve of the tank.

If you're low on gas and you get stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway. With the large-ish reserve of the Tundra's tank, you most likely will make it to the next gas station.

I was in this situation once a few years ago. The low gas light came on and I just made it into the gas station on fumes. But with the Tundra, if the gas light comes on, at least you know you can go for a while before you actually run out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wouldn't mind if the low fuel light came on with the reserve, but I would like the actual miles left to be more accurate... that way I would "really" know what my options are.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts