Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brand new Toyota Tundra with 160 miles on it has a check engine light problem. I brought it to the dealer and the dealer thinks it may be a metal shaving problem. I bought this over the Silverado because I have had good experience with Toyota but perhaps I made a mistake. Toyota seems to be having serious quality issues!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check your VIN against the VVTi TSB. Dealer should have done that.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
1 post and no reply, sounds like it may be a troll.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the delayed response. I am not a troll but play one on TV. My Tundra has a 4.6 L engine for fuel economy. The dealer has been very responsive and frendly. This is their second attempt at solving the problem. They put me in a rental while they troubleshoot the issue. They said that the metal shavings sometimes come from the manufacturing process. They think that the metal shaving causes a false reading on the transmission sensor. They have removed the sensor and replaced it. The next thing they are going to do is drain the transmission fluid to see if it fixes the problem. I told them that they have three shots at fixing the problem and then I am going to enforce the Lemon Law statutes in my state and ask for another vehicle. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The VVTi issue on the 4.6 is a known problem. All it takes is an oil change to fix it permanently.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.