Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Well I have a 08 Tundra crewmax 2wd w/ 5.7 that is blown, they are saying currently it dropped a valve, they showed me. I am trying to get Toyota to help and pay possibly. Any known issues or avenues to persue to have some leverage to get them to help? The local dealership is giving great support in helping and is going to bat for me where they can, but $10K for a new motor is a bit much. The truck has 129K miles, serviced since day one at Toyota, only commuter not harsh use or towing. Had extended warranty that just ran out. I mean the 5.7 is one of their flagship engines, they even show it towing the space shuttle :)

Anyhow thanks for any input.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That doesn't sound good. I've got 100547 miles on my Tundra. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me. Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress with Toyota.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
If Toyota does not help you, I would find a good, low milage used 5.7 and put that in the truck.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 2000 Tundra 4.7L listed a valve inspection on the 120k mile recommended service. The dealership did not perform the inspection when I had the service done. When I asked why, they shrugged there shoulders and said it wasn't on the standard one size fits all menu I agreed to pay for. My 2013 Tundra 5.7L 3ur-fbe does not list a valve inspection anywhere in the service guide that I can find. But an inspection will be done around 100k for me this time around. Finding a cracked valve retainer before it gives way is cheap insurance IMO.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
That is just the law of averages sometimes. Nobody want to be "that guy" in your situation but it just happens sometimes. Toyota has met their legal obligation and anything they do will be out of the kindness of their heart but is not a guarantee.

If Toyota comes back and says it is on your dime, do what the others recommend and just find a lower mileage used engine and a independent shop to put it in.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
My 2000 Tundra 4.7L listed a valve inspection on the 120k mile recommended service. The dealership did not perform the inspection when I had the service done. When I asked why, they shrugged there shoulders and said it wasn't on the standard one size fits all menu I agreed to pay for. My 2013 Tundra 5.7L 3ur-fbe does not list a valve inspection anywhere in the service guide that I can find. But an inspection will be done around 100k for me this time around. Finding a cracked valve retainer before it gives way is cheap insurance IMO.
The older 4.7 had a valve inspection/adjustment interval because they were not self adjusting. The newer 5.7/4.6 are self adjusting and do not require an scheduled inspection.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
Thats really too much, and replacing the engine would be a pain too
I hope toyota or
Get you a big block engine with some NOS and you good to go :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
I was told by the dealer that the 2uz-fe valves were hydraulically self adjusting. Do you have documentation that they aren't? I don't think self adjusting valves will keep a valve from dropping if a retainer is cracked and failing though. They need to be inspected at some point to avoid this type of catastrophy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to hear of the blown engine. What happened when it went? what were you doing?

Was it the retainer that broke or did it come out? or did the end of the valve break?

I've have witnessed a 2007 (One of the early ones) snap a camshaft. I have also witnessed a Rocker that came out of its perch (suspect customer was over revving). I've also fixed a lot of oil leaks from the camshaft mounts but I've never heard of the 5.7 dropping a valve. That doesn't mean it can't/wont happen, after all nothings perfect.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Used motor. I'd personally get one with over 100K miles on it if you planned to sell the truck soon. Probably get it cheaper.

I'd check the water pump for leaks.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Your 4.7 did not list a "valve inspection" it listed a "valve clearance inspection"...really big difference there.

There is no way that they are going to pull your valvetrain apart to inspect the components as they would need to remove the heads to do so. Sure you can pull the valve springs off and look at the springs and keepers with the heads still on the vehicle but this is EXTREMELY labor intensive at 18 hours.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your 4.7 did not list a "valve inspection" it listed a "valve clearance inspection"...really big difference there.

There is no way that they are going to pull your valvetrain apart to inspect the components as they would need to remove the heads to do so. Sure you can pull the valve springs off and look at the springs and keepers with the heads still on the vehicle but this is EXTREMELY labor intensive at 18 hours.
Seems to me it would be less labor intensive to inspect retainers and springs than replace the engine. I could be wrong though. I'm pretty sure the owner's manual recommended valve inspection at 120k. I no longer have the vehicle to verify though. Maybe another 2000 Tundra owner can check what it says.

Page 44 and 45 explain cam valve set-up http://www.mr2.com/files/mr2/techinfo/Random FSM Data/2uz-History.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
What is this "over revving" people talk about? The ECM on this bird is highly complex and will not allow for such a thing.

Stuff breaks. Start saving up for some machine work and new parts. Have the work done and drive it for another 100K. OR keep an eye open for a used engine like the others have said. I have seen several for sale through the years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well all, word to wise, don't buy used unless every oil change etc is documented at Toyota. Even though I purchased mine from Toyota with service history and major maintenance done, Toyota turned down any assistance because the previous owner had two service gaps of 15K or so miles. So now its on to engine shopping or sell the truck as she sits.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Well all, word to wise, don't buy used unless every oil change etc is documented at Toyota. Even though I purchased mine from Toyota with service history and major maintenance done, Toyota turned down any assistance because the previous owner had two service gaps of 15K or so miles. So now its on to engine shopping or sell the truck as she sits.
So let's see.............

2nd owner

Past mileage for any warranty

Gaps in service

I do not blame Toyota. There is risks in anything but I fail to see Toyota not honoring anything they should have.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Only the second time I have heard of this happening on a tundra he was under warranty and they gave him a used engine even though they didn't do all the maintanance on his truck. There is a thread on it on tundra talk

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 25 Posts