Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I'm sure there has been several people looking at the lite built 5rs out there and wondered if it is a better choice than a bumper pull TT for our lovely tundras. I myself invested time into the whole decision between them both! I am just now getting into the forums and reading what most people have been concerned with. All great things to keep in mind until you have the opportunity to be behind the wheel. I myself and my dear wife have been enjoying our first tundra and fifth wheel since 2015. Both are 2015's and I hope anyone considering a 5r has at least towed to understand the importance of the whole picture. Here is part of the picture;

1. Maintenance of your rig.
2. The other person in front of you texting.
3. Weather conditions.
4. Distance for maneuvering.
5. Speed.
6. Plan your routes in advance if your going to new places.

My experience has been;

1. 1975 c10 single cab Chevy Hawaiian blue with a 1963 16' oasis travel trailer.
2. 1997 30' Winnebago Warrior class A motor home no slide, 454 vortec V8 pulling a 1968 vw beetle
3. 2000 33' Thor residency double slide class A motor home, ford 460 V10.
4. 2001 34' Pace Arrow Vision class A motor home single slide, 454 vortex V8.
5. 1998 40' Holiday Rambler class A diesel pusher galley slide, 330 isc Cummins, pulling a 25' featherlite open aluminum trailer with a 2006 motorcycle and a 2004 crew cab 4x4 Nissan Titan. "Miss this rig the most"!
6. 2012 Jeep SRT 8 pulling a 2012 21' center console sundeck hurricane boat.

Finances changed and my DW and I got out of the camping experiences to live in a house. We missed it so we got back into it about two years ago.

Currently;
1. 2015 tundra 5.7 crew max towing a 2015 Forrest river wildwood heritage glen 337Bar 39'7". 10060lbs empty 1990 pin weight. Reese 16k pro series slider.. don't like this hitch as I really don't need the slider due to the front cap being short bed super friendly. Pullrites autoglide is where I'm headed.

This tundra is definitely well built. I actually am very impressed as my only negative experience was forgetting to plug my 7 way in after leaving the house for a trip. Why I did have it unplugged was simply because I didn't know if the tundra would have back feed issues while the 5r was plugged into the house..
I noticed it when it started getting dark and I flipped my lights on, the 5r was dark! I pulled off the interstate and surprisingly the brakes on the tundra performed very well all on their own. I evened pressed a little hard as if I was checking an emergency type of stopping. I just didn't want to knock everything over in the 5r when not necessary but if needed to the truck definitely would have had everything on the floor or shifted forward.

GOOD JOB TOYOTA!

Another happy customer!

·
Registered
81 Posts
2008 5.7 Crewmax and a 28.5' eagle ht. I have been pulling a 32' boat since the truck was new and now a fifth wheel . Tundra's will surprise non Toyota owners.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts