Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a Lance Truck Camper (goes in the bed). Dry weight alone is 1775lb. With water and gear going to top a ton.

Lance said it can be done in a 2010 tundra 4.6liter 4X4 with 78" bed. But toyota says 1500 is max (I think that includes people too) At least GVWR that is.

Anyone else do it?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I did some searching on the web and there are folks that haul a Lance 825 on a Tundra. They don't post any actual weights though. I found that interesting. But math is your friend here. Go to the scales and weigh your truck. Get the weights on each axle. Then do some simple math. I put the math below based on my 2008 DC 4x4 SR5. You will need to substitute the numbers for your truck.

GVWR

7100 lbs GVWR of my truck
-5580 lbs (empty weight of my truck, no driver, 3/4 tank of gas)
-1775 lbs (dry weight of Lance 825)
= - 255 lbs

As you can see, I would be over my GVWR with no one in the truck and nothing loaded in the camper. I know Lance dry weights do not include options or any gear / liquids. Your 2,000 lbs estimate is probably close but low. So, it only gets more overweight. Depending on what you load in the truck, it could be way overweight.

RAWR

4150 lbs RAWR of my truck
-2280 lbs (empty weight on rear axle, no driver, 3/4 tank of gas)
-1775 lbs dry weight of Lance 825
= 95 lbs

So, a dry Lance 825 with nothing else in the truck will just make the RAWR. If the actual Lance weighs 2,000 lbs and you put anything else in the truck, you are way over the RAWR. I do not think exceeding the RAWR is a good idea. Add a driver and kit to the Lance and you're going to be over the RAWR. Adding airbags, shocks, helper springs, etc... won't change that rating.

So, Lance says a Tundra can handle the Lance 825. Good for them. I don't see the math supporting it.

Ok, so you want to do it anyway because the guy on here says the real RAWR is 5,000 lbs (according to Hino). I think you will be unhappy, but if you do buy the Lance, some steps will help mitigate the risk:

1. E rated tires
2. Airbags. Get the kind that have independent pressure adjustment for each side. That way they will not cross talk in a turn.
3. Rear sway bar
4. Good luck

Search outside these fora for additional info. I found a lot via google; good and bad. Watch out for RV.net. No one can haul a truck camper on a 1/2 ton according to those fora. There are TC's that will fit comfortably on a Tundra. The Lance 825 is not one of them.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I am thinking the same thing. I can't get any dealer to show me numbers that make sense. They do this hand waiving and say put some air bladders under the axles, and you will be fine.

Thats alot of weight going around a curve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Exactly. I don't think I would want to drive that, even with the right tires, airbags, etc. Then drive it in a windy day on a narrow road. I'm not saying it can't be done, I just don't think I would.

·
Registered
136 Posts
[QUOTE

Search outside these fora for additional info. I found a lot via google; good and bad. Watch out for RV.net. No one can haul a truck camper on a 1/2 ton according to those fora.
Tom[/QUOTE]

oh you popped my bubble, I thought those rv.net guys knew everything!:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Some of them are know it all's thats for sure. You can get a lot of great info over there but don't ask what can I tow. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I was looking at a Lance 705, which was listed dry weight at 1,110 pounds. Seems that might be more doable than the heavier model you were talking about. Any feedback on that?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts