Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 tundra with 110,000 miles. Recently the brake light comes on periodically with the pedal being pushed or not. The parking brake is not pushed and the fluid was braking system was flushed over the summer. To be honest the brake pedal has never really felt right since I bought it but this being my first tundra and not having driven any others I thought this is just the way they are. Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
Make sure your fluid is VERY full, IE nearly spilling out of the master cylinder reservoir.

Also, make sure your rear shoes are practically touching the drums, IE like 1mm away or so.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Check brake fluid level & fill to "full" line with fresh fluid (do not over fill).

Here's an easy to try adjustment:
Toyota Tundra Brake FAQ - Maintenance and Adjustment

If the above ebrake/reverse method doesn't work:
Check & adjust rear brakes (if needed). Round inspection plug is either at the 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock position (depending on driver or passenger side) & oval adjustment slot is at the 12 o'clock position.

With the ebrake off, peek in the inspection hole with a flashlight & adjust shoe to drum gap to within the thickness of a sheet of paper . A wide blade flathead screwdriver will work, but a proper brake tool works even better.

http://s.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00999779000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bleed the brake system also.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well since brake fluid does not evaporate or get burned off. By the time the fluid is low enough to make the light come on your brakes are just about gone. I would check your pads and shoes you maybe ready for some brakes.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Bleed the brake system also.

you will need 2 people. pump the pedal and hold, do not let up, hold it & even have the person push it to the floor if neccessary. than tighten the bleed valve. do it 1 by 1. until all 4 are done. but each time, make sure you have fluid in the res. otherwise you will be putting air back in, making it alot worse.
i would check you front & rear for any leakage.
you can't miss it. you will see it wet.
if there is any wet spot's, you most likely found the wheel you have the problem with.
if you don't know how, you can always pay your dealership for a oil change & they will check it out for free, & tell you whats wrong. just tip the mechanic that takes you car, & tell him, & only him. unless you want that on your adviser sheet.
either way they will let you know.
some shop's give out free estimates. than you will know what it is.
i highly doubt it's your brakes.
but today anything is possible on the new cars.
gorilla

1 - 7 of 7 Posts