Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new 2010 Tundra. My question is regarding that video that is going around where the wheel of least resistance is spinning and the tundra can't make it up the gizmo with rollers on it. I wonder if the new Tundras have auto differentials or selectable ones? Thanks much!! and I tried searching, so apologies if this was covered.

·
Registered
916 Posts
What video? I assume you mean a limited slip or locking differential? In either case, no, the Tundra has a automated limited slip. It applies brake pressure to the slipping wheel to transfer more power to the other wheel. Its not the best system, but it has been pretty effective in the 3 feet.... well now 4 feet of snow we have got in the DC area this past week.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Hello brother. They have an electronic mechanism that emulates an LSD by sensing wheelspin and applying the brake to the spinning wheel. I find it works quite well at the dragstrip, curbing wheelspin very well, but off road dudes may have a different opinion.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No, the differential is still the same. The program Toyota uses to simulate LSD function is largely ineffective compared to a proper LSD or locker. It is, however, good enough for most things. The solution is to buy a 4x4.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZz3xly3HUA

This is the video in question. At 43 seconds mark.

What options do I need to order my Tundra with so I do not have this problem?

Where I will be working, we have uphils with patches of ice.

·
Registered
146 Posts
^^ that would make a world of a differnece, but for most of us with our nice quiet stock michelins lol get friggin stuck in a dusting unless in hoodride mode.. the traction control setup is the ONLY thing i hate about my tundra. we just got 2 inches of snow and its such a pain a arse to pull out into traffic or even get going from a traffic light. i put it in hood ride mode all the time which bothers me even more because then my dash is lit up like a xmas tree lol..

·
Registered
124 Posts
My stock tires do ok in 2 wheel drive in snow on my Rock Warrior but, I also have the option of just putting it into 4 wheel drive. I think your best bet is to just get a 4x4 and be done with it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got stuck a couple times in my driveway, pretty steep and slick with all the snow on it. I noticed that if I gave it a little more gas, it got both rear wheels spinning and got me out of being stuck every time. Granted, I have the Rock Warrior with MUCH better tires than they put on the other models. The cost difference from a regular or TRD Offroad was more than made up for with the much better tires and I kinda like the 17" rims.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I got stuck a couple times in my driveway, pretty steep and slick with all the snow on it. I noticed that if I gave it a little more gas, it got both rear wheels spinning and got me out of being stuck every time.
Also, by spinning more, you probably burned off / chewed through the snow pack down to drier surfaces below, which helped get you going as well.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
I got stuck a couple times in my driveway, pretty steep and slick with all the snow on it. I noticed that if I gave it a little more gas, it got both rear wheels spinning and got me out of being stuck every time. Granted, I have the Rock Warrior with MUCH better tires than they put on the other models. The cost difference from a regular or TRD Offroad was more than made up for with the much better tires and I kinda like the 17" rims.
My driveway is the same as yours and the tires work good on it. I love the wheels on my Rock Warrior. They are the first thing that attracted me to my RW.

·
Registered
456 Posts
No problems here... I've had mine at our farm on some steep hills, the truck kind of rev's up a little bit and takes off. I've got 4x4 but I only use it on wet boat ramps.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
You should watch the traction control test on pickuptrucks.com of the tundra, this test was done by a third party, unlike the youtube one that was done by Government Motor Corp in which all the tundra's traction control and VSC off. In the film the F-150 and the Tundra were the only vehicals to make it up the grade, this is a real world test on GM's proving grounds. The Sierra, Silverado and Nissan failed to make it up the hill. Even though the GM's had "Lockers" they couldnt do it. I love how when GM's trucks go to a third party they cant even pass their own test! HAHAHA!

HERE YOU GO....click on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFJI0tLMVpI&feature=player_embedded

And if it looks like they stopped the sierra, its because they did, it only made forward progress once both the rear wheels had slipped off the wet surface.

I do regualar off roading for work and play, if the LSD in engadged both rear tires spin, but nothing compares to 4x4 trust me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Love my truck HATE that stupid computer contolled lsd - those engineers must have been on lsd. almost got stuck on my own very flat driveway leaving out for a jobsite with 5000lbs steel on a tandem trailer. one wheel got off the cement and there I sat spinning and the lsd going "BRRRRRRRRRRR" with me eating up my dam Bremuda grass. if I cant get a real lsd in there from Jowlett I will put in a 9" ford unilt with a true trac or gm with the eaton posi; this computer crap is crap. Just my disappointed $.02

·
Registered
401 Posts
You should watch the traction control test on pickuptrucks.com of the tundra, this test was done by a third party, unlike the youtube one that was done by Government Motor Corp in which all the tundra's traction control and VSC off. In the film the F-150 and the Tundra were the only vehicals to make it up the grade, this is a real world test on GM's proving grounds. The Sierra, Silverado and Nissan failed to make it up the hill. Even though the GM's had "Lockers" they couldnt do it. I love how when GM's trucks go to a third party they cant even pass their own test! HAHAHA!

HERE YOU GO....click on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFJI0tLMVpI&feature=player_embedded

I do regualar off roading for work and play, if the LSD in engadged both rear tires spin, but nothing compares to 4x4 trust me.

:amen::clap: You summed it up perfectly.

I know there are times where a lsd and the traction control would be nice but i would rather have A trac/ auto LSD and an open diff . Then gm's diff lock and no traction control.

That video shows this to a T. It also shows that there is some failers with the toyota traction control system, like it cuts the power way to fast. It seems Ford has done a far better job of the programing there system. I believe if the Tundra was programmed more like the ford there would be far less guys thinking a locker is better.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
:amen::clap: You summed it up perfectly.

I know there are times where a lsd and the traction control would be nice but i would rather have A trac/ auto LSD and an open diff . Then gm's diff lock and no traction control.

That video shows this to a T. It also shows that there is some failers with the toyota traction control system, like it cuts the power way to fast. It seems Ford has done a far better job of the programing there system. I believe if the Tundra was programmed more like the ford there would be far less guys thinking a locker is better.
I just dont think GM can compare any way, i mean in the pickuptrucks.com test, they gave them the LTZ (top grade) with a 6.2L V8 which must run 93 octane to do what GM says it can. That engine still cant out-preform a 5.7L in a Tundra, drag strip, towing, hauling i mean come on, the tundra lost out by less than a second. A loss so narrow it could have been driver reaction time. Not to mention the tundra is heavier! A 6.2L should blow a 5.7L outa the water but, NOPE! This is the best GM can do?...why im driving a tundra :D

-Keep in mind the only reason the Silverado scored higher on the overall list and got the #2 spot was becase it got points for having a better interior, well no Duhhh! Its a top of the line LTZ against a mid grade SR5 tunda! Haha :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
My only other issue with the test pickup truck.com did was they where docking point off from tundra that had running boards on them becuse they had lower ground clearance?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts