Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I am a die hard Toyota owner of vans (85-89 models) and the original owner of an 85 4wd PU. The reputation of the 3y,4y and 22R engines speak for themselves with many going in between 300K-almost 600K before requiring a rebuild. Buying a used van or truck with 120K-150K miles is often considered hardly beyond the broken in stage. On an american rig, especially anything in the V-8 category if you get 180K mechanics often consider you lucky.

I've recently been looking at searching for a used 2wd v8 Tundra, perhaps around a 2000-2002 model, as a reliable vehicle to haul a horse trailer. What I'm seeing advertised in the price range I'm looking (7-10K) are vehicles with in between 125k-190k miles on them.

My question is, how does the 2UZ-FE engine in the Tundra stack up compared to the 3y,4y or 22R in terms of longevity and reliability, or are these V8's similar in life expectancy to the standard American V8's.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi it's a hard1. depending on how you drive. i have had mine since 05, tricking it out, and playing. no off road. but there limitors are in place to keep the engine running long.
it's a toyota.
gorilla

·
Registered
868 Posts
Maintenance and how the vehicle was used will play a big part. I know a lot of folks that drive tons of highway miles and perform outstanding maintenance on their domestic iron and get very long life. My uncle has nearly 400k on his Dodge 360 with no engine work. My only gripe about the 4.7L is it takes a timing belt which adds maintenance cost. I've not seen any characteristic engine problems with these so I'd say with good maintenance and easy use they should go a long time. My MIL has an '04 GX470 with 150k miles and the engine runs like a top. It's had a new transmission and transfer case though.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Ditto what the others said. Hopefully you can get one where the person/dealer selling it has records of the maintenance performed on it. That will tell a better story. Either way, whatever you decide you may buy you should bring to a mechanic you know and have him do a thorough check of the vehicle for any problems there may be with the engine or other components.

I have a little over 95,000 miles on my 2002 and the thing sounds and runs like the day I bought it. At that mileage I consider it just broken in.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I have heard of some with 250k-400k. Reg maint is Key.

Mine Has 154k and runs Awesome. Goes like it has 10!!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The engine is solid. It's the transmissions you should really worry about. I believe the 2000-2004 has had reports of failures though the circumstances could vary widely. The 2005-2006 was updated with a different transmission and very few people have complained about it from what I recall. My 06 was top notch when I had it.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I bought my truck with 184K miles and still drives strong!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Never seen or heard of one rebuilt due to mileage alone....my guess is that by the time the engine is used up, the rest of the truck will be too. If I were buying a high mileage unit, I would be more concerned with proper upkeep than straight mileage alone. Mileage doesn't wear out engines....abuse and neglect does.

·
Registered
910 Posts
The engine is solid. It's the transmissions you should really worry about. I believe the 2000-2004 has had reports of failures though the circumstances could vary widely. The 2005-2006 was updated with a different transmission and very few people have complained about it from what I recall. My 06 was top notch when I had it.
Avoid the 2000-2002 years as they did have a weak transmission...they are prone to breaking especially under heavy loads. 2003-2004 have upgraded units. 2005-2006 have 5-speed units.

·
Registered
125 Posts
engines and drivetrain are good for at least 300K, except maybe tranny. Use syn oil, imo.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I have 196K on my '04, engine is great. I've had JBA headers on for over 150K and it's still nice and quiet. LSD quit working recently and I had to get the rear end replaced, and the tranny doesn't shift like it's new anymore, so those are the areas I would be more concerned about than the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
183k on mine and it still runs like it has 30k. I do all of the recommended maintenance regularly and the truck has been babied for most of its life, truly an amazing truck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I know lots of guys who faithfully service their rigs who get 200-300k out of their CHEVYS. They are domestic trucks with reliable V-8 engines. Older 5.7 and newer 5.3 both have great track record. As for the Tundra, i have a 2000 V-8 and expect to get upwards of 300k before i get rid of it. Has been very smooth and problem free for me. I do keep my truck well maintained. Does not leak or use any oil between fill ups. Now ford and Dodge engines are another story.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2007 Toyota Tundra limited Double cab. I have purchased it new and have NO engine, transmission or any other issues and I now have 350,000K on the truck. I have owned Dodge and Ford pickups before the Tundra and this Toyota is hands down the most problem free truck I have ever owned. I honestly can say it still rides and is tight like the day I purchased it. I have driven it in salted roads and now the truck is 9 years old and not any rust on any body panels or the frame. If I want to get a part time job babysitting a vehicle at the dealership then I would have to go back to owing one of the big three truck manufactures. I might add more thing the tundra is one of a few that is actually manufactured and assembled in U.S.A ! The Dodge and GMC/CHEV trucks are assembled in Mexico. Ford and Toyota have the highest percentage of U.S.A into them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
180k on mine without any parts replaced, other than regular maintenance stuff.
I've seen others with 300+ and still running great. Like others have said, maintenance is key.

Also, like it was mentioned before. 00-02 had trans problems. First gear sprag was weak if I remember right.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts