Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,513 Posts
Also, like it was mentioned before. 00-02 had trans problems. First gear sprag was weak if I remember right.
Actually, it was a metallurgical issue with certain runs of needle bearing cages used in the Aisin-Warner A340 overdrive planetary gearset. They usually let go while under heavy load (towing, etc) with the OD on and spit the bearings out which grenaded the rest of the internals. It was fixed by the supplier starting with the 2003 model year Tundra.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Actually, it was a metallurgical issue with certain runs of needle bearing cages used in the Aisin-Warner A340 overdrive planetary gearset. They usually let go while under heavy load (towing, etc) with the OD on and spit the bearings out which grenaded the rest of the internals. It was fixed by the supplier starting with the 2003 model year Tundra.
Or it was that... :laugh2:
Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I called a local Toyota dealership and talked to the service manager to ask how many miles a Tundra 5.7 can last. He said he regularly sees them with well over 300k. And with that I bought a 2007 with 187.5k miles and if you asked me and if I didn't know any better I'd swear the truck was brand new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,
I am a die hard Toyota owner of vans (85-89 models) and the original owner of an 85 4wd PU. The reputation of the 3y,4y and 22R engines speak for themselves with many going in between 300K-almost 600K before requiring a rebuild. Buying a used van or truck with 120K-150K miles is often considered hardly beyond the broken in stage. On an american rig, especially anything in the V-8 category if you get 180K mechanics often consider you lucky.

I've recently been looking at searching for a used 2wd v8 Tundra, perhaps around a 2000-2002 model, as a reliable vehicle to haul a horse trailer. What I'm seeing advertised in the price range I'm looking (7-10K) are vehicles with in between 125k-190k miles on them.

My question is, how does the 2UZ-FE engine in the Tundra stack up compared to the 3y,4y or 22R in terms of longevity and reliability, or are these V8's similar in life expectancy to the standard American V8's.

Thanks for any help.

Jim
My 02 Tundra 2WD has 270k, runs flawlessly! Most are highway miles, pulled a ski boat on occasion. I started to sell her after purchasing a Ridgeline recently (I expect to shrink in my advancing years), but couldn't! I have been widowed since way before I bought her new, and she has been completely, totally reliable! Regular oil changes, STP hi mileage fuel/carburetor cleaner, 88+ octane and a K&N air filter are beneficial. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2002 has 180,000. Running great. I did do a timing belt when I bought it at 170K just cuz I didn't know if it has ever been done.
It's like the guy who is just told by his doctor that he will live another 80 years. When he is leaving the doctors office he gets ran over by a bus... Did the doctor lie? Can he be sued? Chap

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 4.7 from a 2000 sitting on stands with 355,000 miles on it, no oil burning, and no leaks......I don't have the heart to junk such a great engine. If I don't sell it, it might go into a Datsun 260z. There is alot of American engines I like, the chevy 350, ford 302 and 351 W,C,M the 360 and 390 Cry. but this is much more reliable and better on gas. So what it has a timing belt, sure beets a timing chain on plastic gear teeth. I'm a car guy and I do appreciate just engines, so hash me. I also tore apart just about every engine out there working at a machine shop. It's a million mile engine if maintained. The Toyota block has a high nickel count in the material, domestics do not. You may get 400k out of a domestic, but it will have a huge ridge line at the top of the bore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have an '04 3.4 with 200k and a '06 4.7 with 214k, both running like new. Maintenance is key.
Treat them right and 1/2 mil is no problem.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts