Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 3rd Tundra this past weekend (an 04 DC, I have previously had an 00 and an 02 all 4x4 V-8's) and really dont like the way the engine sounds on a cold start. My dad had an 01 that he bought new and had the same complaint with this sound the day he picked it up. When you start the truck on a cold day, it idles fine, but as soon as you put it in gear, the engine gets real noisy. You would sware this thing was a diesel if you didnt know any better!! Has anyone else noticed this terrible sound? It sounds like a rattle in the engine, but does it only while in gear, not in 'park' or 'neutral'.

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
I notice a ticking noise when I first start the truck, like the oil from the top end has gone down into the pan overnight, but after a while it goes away.

I'm not sure that is the same as your problem, it certainly doesn't sound like a diesel, if you are still under warranty you might want to have it checked.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the ticking noise you are talking about, that is a valve tap. It isnt that noise, it sounds more like something rattling. It goes away after about 30 seconds and only does it while in gear. My dad tried taking his 01 back for that when he got it and they said it was just normal cold engine noise. My 04 is just over 60k, so I am out of warrenty.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought my 3rd Tundra this past weekend (an 04 DC, I have previously had an 00 and an 02 all 4x4 V-8's) and really dont like the way the engine sounds on a cold start. My dad had an 01 that he bought new and had the same complaint with this sound the day he picked it up. When you start the truck on a cold day, it idles fine, but as soon as you put it in gear, the engine gets real noisy. You would sware this thing was a diesel if you didnt know any better!! Has anyone else noticed this terrible sound? It sounds like a rattle in the engine, but does it only while in gear, not in 'park' or 'neutral'.
I've heard this happens on purpose for the first few minutes when its cold in order to prevent the engine from damaging itself while its still cold. Its toyota trying to do their best to extend the life of your engine. My 4.7L 4runner does the same thing so I looked it up.. i think on the T4R website and I found this info. The sound itself seems to be coming from a fan in the engine which you'll notice zaps some power at first.

It makes the exact same sound as when the belt driven fan is going when the engine gets too hot so I think the sound you're hearing is this fan (which you'll notice also makes your truck feel sluggish until the sound goes away)

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is piston SLAP. Seems Toyota has joined the ranks with GM as far as sloppy engine assembly goes.
My '04 does it too sometimes, really sounds like chit.
Piston slap is caused by too much clearance between the piston and cylinder when cold causing the piston to slap or rock in the cylinders.
Do a Google on piston slap.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If its piston slap, it has nothing to do with the assembly. It would be a design issue. American workers are as capable as anyone in the world in making quality products. These engines are very well made by American workers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
my 01 tundra does this as well. My 99 silverado was much worse and my 02 silverado does it too. Yeah, the noise sucks.....but it is a machine that relies on tight tolerances to preform it's best...... .001 of an inch makes every difference in the world. Also consider the thickness of the engine oil at winter temps....when the oil thins down and the metal warms up everything gets quieter right?

I really am interested in how a japanese assembler will machine a motor tighter than an american assembler though.........maybe I'm too proud to be an American

·
Registered
120 Posts
If its piston slap, it has nothing to do with the assembly. It would be a design issue. American workers are as capable as anyone in the world in making quality products. These engines are very well made by American workers.
It has EVERYTHING to do with the assembly....used to be pistons were fitted to each cylinder, called selective fitting now to save time it is one size fits all.

American labor isn't the issue here, penny pinching by Toyota is the issue.

Octane has nothing to do with it.

There also seems to be a definite nose dive in QA with the '05 and '06 Tundras.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I run 87 octane fuel. So this sound seems to be a common thing and not a wear thing, correct? (I would think it couldnt be since my dad's 01 did it since the day it was new) Could this piston slap lead to long term reliabilty/durability problems? Should I worry about it (ex: sell the truck.....) Or just say screw it and try not to listen to it? This noise drives me nuts!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
...American labor isn't the issue here, penny pinching by Toyota is the issue...
Glad we agree on that. I'm no expert here, but my understanding is that a couple of things have contributed to the piston slap issue, both having to do with emissions requirements. First is that the piston rings were moved to as close to the top of the piston as they could be, which necessarily moves it away from the connecting rod, making for a larger moment arm between the two. The second is that they have done away with oil squirters on the piston skirts. This was done back in mid '90s. Nowadays mfrs. use coatings on the piston skirts for a dry film lubrication. I have heard other things as well about piston materials and such, but I don't know how much of that to believe.

·
Supportive Supporter
1,136 Posts
:eek: The COLDER the outside temp is......the LOUDER the slap noise is....(it is pretty loud...)
I don't think your going to get anything from Toyota outta this....excesssive piston slap does decrease the life span of the engine overall, but I think if approached properly....it won't be an issue. In other words......I don't gun my engine at all when cold.....and I let it warm up a little b4 taking off.
Ignore it. Short skirt pistons are going to do this. I'll let ya know if I'm right on this in a couple hundred thousand miles or so!:clown:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know the ticking noise you are talking about, that is a valve tap. It isnt that noise, it sounds more like something rattling. It goes away after about 30 seconds and only does it while in gear. My dad tried taking his 01 back for that when he got it and they said it was just normal cold engine noise. My 04 is just over 60k, so I am out of warrenty.......

Do u use synthetic motor oil? If not, you may want to try it. I have an 02 V6 that I only start up and drive every couple of weeks or so. I do live in Florida so it's not as cold as it is where u are.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Do u use synthetic motor oil? If not, you may want to try it. I have an 02 V6 that I only start up and drive every couple of weeks or so. I do live in Florida so it's not as cold as it is where u are. I dont have any rattling or tapping noises when I start my truck.

·
Registered
114 Posts
:eek: The COLDER the outside temp is......the LOUDER the slap noise is....(it is pretty loud...)
I don't think your going to get anything from Toyota outta this....excesssive piston slap does decrease the life span of the engine overall, but I think if approached properly....it won't be an issue. In other words......I don't gun my engine at all when cold.....and I let it warm up a little b4 taking off.
Ignore it. Short skirt pistons are going to do this. I'll let ya know if I'm right on this in a couple hundred thousand miles or so!:clown:

what weight oil do u use? I run a 5w-30 synthetic and I live in Florida. The only noise I hear when I crank mine up (even after a few weeks of sitting) is the fan spinning and the typical high rev issue

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I do not use synthetic oil, but it is 5w30. I have 67k on my truck, and it has not had synthetic in it yet. Everything I have ever read has said not to switch on a higher mileage vehicle. I have used synthetic in vehicles I bought with fewer mileage on them, but still am not sold on the issue. (It is much more prone to leaks) My dads 01 (which he sold to a friend of mine) has had synthetic 5-30 in it since he hit 2500 miles. That truck still makes the same noise and has about 40k on it now.

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I know for a fact that synthetic oil is 'thinner' than conventional motor oil. Yes, the viscosity is the same, but the chemicals in the synthetic and not as stongly bonded together as conventional. Take notice when you pour synthetic it splashes in the funnel and appears to be much thinner than pouring conventional oil. (I did a major project on motor oil viscosity in a chemistry class i took in college)

Back to my truck, the wierd part is that you dont hear it until you put the truck in gear. If I let it sit and warm up for 30 seconds or so before I take it out of 'Park', it doesnt do it, or I just cant hear it inside the truck.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
If I let it sit and warm up for 30 seconds or so before I take it out of 'Park', it doesnt do it, or I just cant hear it inside the truck.

There is your answer. Just do that. The engine will enjoy being treated like that anyway, regardless of whether you are slapping pistons or not.

The problem is a result of the short piston skirts used on these higher revving engines. It is much worse on GM V8s, see GM Piston Slap -- Like a Knock to hear those guys complain.

My 06 revs high on startup and I don't like it. I'm going to synthetic at 10,000 miles with 5K oil changes thereafter. I make a habit of dropping it into gear directly after it starts to slow the engine when it is still "oil starved". But with today's oils, especially synthetic, start up wear is not as bad as it once was.

I think the synthetics causing oil leaks was a problem with the first synthetic oils, shouldn't happen today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The way I see it Toyota must know about this issue yet they havent made changes necessary to get rid of it even on later years.So I have to believe they arent worried about it.So I wont either.My knock starts when weather gets below 40degF.The knock does not go away until the temperature guage moves which is alot longer than 30 sec after warm it runs like a watch.I have been running Mobil 1 and even tried a switch to Amsoil with no effect at all.55,000 and counting.Hope to make 100,000 then will get something else.Will be buying in winter though.In meantime I take it easy till motor is fully warm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
Jstoyo
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing