Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
No, I do not use synthetic oil, but it is 5w30. I have 67k on my truck, and it has not had synthetic in it yet. Everything I have ever read has said not to switch on a higher mileage vehicle. I have used synthetic in vehicles I bought with fewer mileage on them, but still am not sold on the issue. (It is much more prone to leaks) My dads 01 (which he sold to a friend of mine) has had synthetic 5-30 in it since he hit 2500 miles. That truck still makes the same noise and has about 40k on it now.

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but I know for a fact that synthetic oil is 'thinner' than conventional motor oil. Yes, the viscosity is the same, but the chemicals in the synthetic and not as stongly bonded together as conventional. Take notice when you pour synthetic it splashes in the funnel and appears to be much thinner than pouring conventional oil. (I did a major project on motor oil viscosity in a chemistry class i took in college)

Back to my truck, the wierd part is that you dont hear it until you put the truck in gear. If I let it sit and warm up for 30 seconds or so before I take it out of 'Park', it doesnt do it, or I just cant hear it inside the truck.

huh, thats weird. Dont know what it could be then. I have used synthetic in mine since 2800 miles and so far *knock on wood* I dont have any leaks or other problems. Has anyone ever said just how many miles is too many to switch to a synthetic oil? I use to have a 93 chevy s10 that had 89,000 on it when I bought it and I swictched to synthetic and never had any probs. I sold it 3 years later with 143k.

Anywayz, good luck with ur truck and I hope u find that noise. Maybe it just likes to warm up before u take off. I let mine run for approx 5 mins regardless of the weather (hot or cold)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine also doesnt knock until it is put into gear.I assume reason for that is because there is no load on the motor and pistons until it is in gear.

·
Registered
568 Posts
what weight oil do u use? I run a 5w-30 synthetic and I live in Florida. The only noise I hear when I crank mine up (even after a few weeks of sitting) is the fan spinning and the typical high rev issue
From my casual browsing, piston slap has been reported to get worse as the weather gets colder. I doubt that Florida weather would make it show up. I don't experience it in Houston either.

The problem also seems to be more prevalent with later models, say '04 and newer. I don't see many '00-'03 owners reporting the problem. Also, seems as though synthetic vs. conventional makes no difference with this issue. In fact, I have seen people report that synthetic may have made it worse.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I usually wait 15 seconds or so before I put it in gear, but I guess that isnt long enough. I'll have to start waiting a little longer. This noise just really doesnt sound good. You'd think Toyota would try to correct this problem, since it doesnt make their product sound very good.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Click and Clack have covered engine warm up numerous times. They generally say to give it less than a minute, then drive it easily until the engine is warm. They were kind of against waiting 10-15 minutes like some people do, saying the engine will warm up faster with a light load on it. Not sure if they would say the same thing if engine slap was a factor.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Click and Clack have covered engine warm up numerous times. They generally say to give it less than a minute, then drive it easily until the engine is warm. They were kind of against waiting 10-15 minutes like some people do, saying the engine will warm up faster with a light load on it. Not sure if they would say the same thing if engine slap was a factor.
I usually wait till my temp needle is even with the "c" in the gauge. then I go. Usually its w/in 5 mins. Im just picky like that

·
Registered
114 Posts
I usually wait 15 seconds or so before I put it in gear, but I guess that isnt long enough. I'll have to start waiting a little longer. This noise just really doesnt sound good. You'd think Toyota would try to correct this problem, since it doesnt make their product sound very good.....

yea thats weird. I know several people that have yotas and I swera they start their trucks in drive. They dont give it anytime to warm up what so ever. But, they all have tacomas (2001-2004) so i dont know if your noise is just with the tundras or not. good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
:eek: The COLDER the outside temp is......the LOUDER the slap noise is....(it is pretty loud...)
I don't think your going to get anything from Toyota outta this....excesssive piston slap does decrease the life span of the engine overall, but I think if approached properly....it won't be an issue. In other words......I don't gun my engine at all when cold.....and I let it warm up a little b4 taking off.
Ignore it. Short skirt pistons are going to do this. I'll let ya know if I'm right on this in a couple hundred thousand miles or so!🤡
Its been awhile, curious how many you ended up with on your truck?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
Jstoyo
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing