Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have looked throught these forums from time to time and have found great information.
I registered today to see if I can get a solid answer to my wiring problem.
I know much has been written on this but I really have not found the specific answer.
I have a 2007 Tundra SR5. It is prewired for Fog Lights. I ordered a set of lights from tundrapart.com. I have installed the lights, switch and the switch wiring but can not get the lights to work.

It appears the switch is working and I have power to the relay. When I activate the after market switch with the parking lights in the on position the relay seems to activate. I do not think the power is exiting the fuse panel as there is no power reaching the pre wired fog light sockets. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.:ts: Chuck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm not much in the electrical department but I check out your fuse suggestion.

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Sorry CDAVIS, a small hijacking of this thread since it is new so I can get some help with mine not coming on! One of my fogs is not working, it is nearly new. What would be the right line of troubleshooting? It is a PIAA brand. CDAVIS, points sent for me hijacking the thread; ha, ha..........

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Sorry CDAVIS, a small hijacking of this thread since it is new so I can get some help with mine not coming on! One of my fogs is not working, it is nearly new. What would be the right line of troubleshooting? It is a PIAA brand. CDAVIS, points sent for me hijacking the thread; ha, ha..........
You'll need a voltmeter or a 12 volt test light. You should probably print out a copy of the wiring diagram too.

1. If one light is working you can eliminate the relay and fuse. Everything up to that point has to be working.
  2. Check for power right at the back of the light. (I assume there's a plug) If you have 12 volts there then its internal to the light like a bad bulb or bad socket.
  3. It could also be a bad ground to that light. If you are using a meter check continuity. With a test light, see if it lights if you ground it to a frame bolt and touch the housing.
  4. If you don't have 12 volts at the light trace the wire back all the way to the relay. Test it at each point you can. When you find 12 volts you will have narrowed it down to a bad spot. Maybe a bad connection or broken wire.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now you said you have the "parking lights turned on" correct? If thats the case, the headlights also have to be on and in the low beam position for the fogs to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I understand it the tundra part kit is designed to activate fog lights when the parking lights are turned on. I have tried it with lights on lights off, low beam on high beam on, high beam off and everyother thing I can think of. Still no power to the plugs where they connect to the fog lights. Thinking there might be some kind of a plug that needs to be connected between the parking lights and the fog lights. Have not seen anything obvious that would indicate that is the case.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Mine only work on low beam.

1. Check to be sure that the fog relay pulls in when you have the low beams on and fog selected on the stalk. Turn the low beams on and get someone to operate the fog switch for you so you can hear it click.
  2. If it clicks then check for 12 volts on pin 3 from the 15 amp fuse. From there it's a wire tracing issue.
  3. IF it doesn't click there is something missing to or from the main body ECU. This thread is a good reference for checking that side.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachments/tundra/30901d1208188770-diy-do-it-yourself-user-knowledgebase-anytime-fog-light-mod.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I finally figured it out. I was getting power to the negative side of the relay ant that was not supposed to be happening. After receiving a modified replacement switch and wiring the problem was solved and my lights are now working.
The good thing to report is that the kit from tundrapart.com is great. It looks great and is easy to install. The sockets look and mount just like OEM. Aside from the switch problem all is well! Tim was great in helping me resolve the issues that came up. Do not hesitate to buy this kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cdavis, im having the exact problem you had. Power on both sided of the relay. I got my kit from ebay but found the instructions on using factory wiring. Ive installed correctly. What all did you have to get to fix the problem??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hoping someone can help. Have a 2007 tundra with pre-wired fog lights to front of truck. Bought after market kit and tried to follow forum suggestions. Tapped red wire to green parking lights and black-white wire from switch into light blue wire. My switch did not have a darker blue wire. The truck does have an alarm system but I cannot find the white wire that is supposed to be spliced into the green wire the forum says you're suppose to to the red wire into. The switch has pose and testing that it has 12v of power going out of black-white wire to the lite blue wire but no power going to the factory fog light wiring/fog lights. Relay is in. Any thoughts? Please help.
Thanks
Craig

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not common but it happened to me when I installed my fog light kit into my pre-wired 2011 Tundra DC, Grade... The relay I bought was defective! Go figure! I was going nvts checking and double checking all my connections and nothing! For giggles, I changed the BRAND NEW relay and I saw the light, literally! Lol!!M

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same exact issue with mine. The body ECM is sending + power to the grounding side of relay. What did it require and where do you get it. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts