Toyota Tundra Forums banner

2381 - 2392 of 2392 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Toyota dealers in both Hanover, PA and York, PA are still active with frame replacements. Not too far from northern Virginia, but because the warranty replacements seem to be based on the state where each truck was registered and operated that may or may not help any VA-based trucks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dropped my truck off for the new frame replacement on Monday 7/16, they gave me a loaner tundra with 93 miles and a 5.7L with XM on it. They said the truck might be done in 2- 3 months. The bumper has wholes now and needs replacing, new stock bumper is $650, after market through Toyota is $500. I asked them to match a bumper I found on ebay for $308 with free shipping, they said they could but have not heard back from them yet. I hope they rebuild this F'ng truck!

How much for bumpers front and back and shocks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
From what I’ve read on various forums this seems to be very dealer dependent. While the replacement program officially ended in 2012...many have continued to get done right up to this year.

Personally, I’m happy to have recently bought one that was done for the PO at the end of 2017 even though he had only purchased the truck that year.

Maybe what we need is a list of dealers who are still cooperating/advocating for their customers? I think I’d be willing to take a bit of a road trip to drop the truck if the alternative was living with a rusted out frame. Driving to a far off location in the hopes of qualifying could still prove to be a gamble, but maybe with some calls and prep work up front you could cut the risk some?

According to the paperwork I received when I bought my truck, it was done at Koons Tyson’s Toyota in Vienna Virginia. If that’s nowhere near you perhaps others might chime in with cooperating locations that are closer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What year was your Tundra.?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My '02 Tundra w 100k miles has a severely rusted out rear cross-member supporting the the fuel tank. My state inspection station said that they can not inspect it again because the cross-member completely rotted away at the bottom on both sides and is barely holding at the top. It is in imminent danger of breaking loose and the fuel tank falling out. This sounds like something that should be covered by the open safety recall.

My question is, does the cross-member repair require the replacement of the entire frame, or is the cross-member a separately replaceable part?
I am particularly interested in what gets replaced under the safety recall because they said that the frame is very thin and weak in that same general area and it looks like there is not much to attach a new cross-member to.

Update: Talked to two dealers now (including the one where I purchased it). Neither are even interested in looking at it because they said the frame recall is over. I tried to explain the difference between the limited service campaign and the safety recall, but they both refuse to acknowledge that there is any condition under which Toyota is still replacing frames.
This is extremely frustrating. I found someone selling a 01 Tunrda on Craigslist which had his frame replaced less than 3 years ago at one of the very dealerships I approached. I looked at his truck and confirmed it clearly had a new frame. When I mentioned this to the dealer, they acted as if I was lying. They insist that all frame replacements ended in 2012. Clearly that is not true.
This is what makes remediation SO frustrating... NOBODY can give us a straight answer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually spoke to one (in NY, I'm in CT) name of which someone earlier in the thread had sent me. They ran my VIN and said I had nothing. I tried to ask why they just did someone and they said it's whatever the computer and Toyota tell them as far as qualification. She wasn't being a jerk about it, just told me what she saw.

My best theory... if you or a PO did the service campaign and got a) the undercoating (CRC) or b) frame replacement, they will do nothing further for you. If you got the CRC before 2012 and your truck, like mine, is rusting, well... too bad for you and me. If however nobody responded to the recall/campaign EVER and your rust is bad enough, they will replace the frame or at least the crossmember... but probably only once. For example, my crossmember was already done in an earlier recall by the PO. If it rusts again, I'm SOL or at best they'll maybe weld in a new one (stories seem to vary here).

I originally thought there were "cool" dealers that would help you out, but I think it's more based on your rig's history. On that note, I wish my PO had just done nothing lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My best theory... if you or a PO did the service campaign and got a) the undercoating (CRC) or b) frame replacement, they will do nothing further for you.
Based on my experience I believe you're probably right. I bought my truck about 4 months ago - a 2001 Limited AC with 70k miles - single owner, nearly immaculate condition. PO kept all his paperwork and I came across a receipt from back in 2010 where he had taken it to Toyota for this recall, and by all indications nothing was done during this inspection. The receipt stated:
LSC A0F - Certain 2000 through 2003 Toyota Tundra Frame Rust Corrosion Perforation
41856 Inspect the frame for rust perforation, No rust perforation found​
I didn't think much of it then the next day I noticed an open recall on the CARFAX report for my Tundra (which somehow I'd failed to notice prior to buying)...It was for the frame rust issue. Solution, per the recall, appeared to be to paint the rear portion of the frame with their rust preventive solution.

So I took it in to my local dealer here in northern VA for inspection and hopefully this paint service (To me the frame looked a bit rusty but nothing like my old 1993 F150, so I didn't think much of it). Low and behold I got a call middle of the day that I dropped it off - they found a perforation and would be ordering a new frame! I couldn't believe it. Anyway, frame was replaced last week and the thing is like a brand new truck now.

Some other things worth mentioning:
They told me up front that I'd have to pay for front LCA's, front spring bump stops (x4) and spare tire carrier. While I've read plenty on the debate over this, I wasn't about to put them ordering my new frame at risk so I happily agreed. They wanted to charge me $1,200 for those parts. I got them from an online OEM Toyota parts place for just over half that at $700. I also threw in new sway bar links, bushings and new Bilstein 5100's all on my own dime. The only labor they charged was to move the front shock/strut springs over.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Started having rust issues and opened a case with Toyota. Was told the service that was available for the rust issue expired in December 2012 and there was nothing else offered by Toyota.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, Just found out my frame has some rust issues and called my local dealer. They were very nice but referred me to Toyota Corp as there hands were tied. Toyota basically said too bad so sad no new frame for you! My truck is an 02 AC Limited with 110K, you could eat off this truck inside and out but no luck with a frame. PO did have the CRC applied back in 2012, but Toyota Corp said that its not rustproofing. It does say "rustproof " on my slip but was told that the dealer wrote that and Toyota couldn't be held responsible .. Love the truck and its a shame to get rid of it but I really have no other options.. Unless you folks have an idea...

2381 - 2392 of 2392 Posts