Toyota Tundra Forums banner

401 - 420 of 2392 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is from Tundraheadquarters.com

janet Said in October 8th, 2009 @5:15 am
Our 2000 Tundra is in pieces at the dealership. We were initially elated when Toyota agreed to replace our corroded frame, but now they are refusing to replace the leafsprings and other frame related parts until we give them 1700.00. We are been making payments on an undrivable vehicle for over a year (we bought this used with low mileage). Clearly we have given Toyota too much money already. The dealership has been hostile at times, and to this date, we don’t have our truck fixed. By the way, our frame was cracked and was so corroded the power steering separated. That was our first clue something was wrong. A year after purchasing the vehicle, our power steering abruptly stopped working. If you poured power steering fluid in, it just leaked right out. We just want this nightmare resolved. Where is the customer satisfaction and high quality standards Toyota prides themself with??

Jeremy O'Neill Said in October 17th, 2009 @6:42 pm
I gave the dealer a hard enough time that toyota has decided to pick up the cost of a rental car while they replace my frame on my 2000 Tundra. I had to threaten contacting the press and went to the extreme of parking and locking my truck in front of there service door and leaving with the keys. They were not to happy with that move but it seemed to make some people move on getting me into a rental. I am still feeling uncomfortable with the frame replacement and wonder what my out of pocket we be in the end. They should be forced to buy them back @ 150% blue book like they did with the tacoma’s. Any thought’s on approach.

There are some frames getting changed out......

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Can anyone confirm these are Tundra frames getting swapped out? I would be very encouraged to know the ball is rolling on this one, I am not in the boat some of you are with the rust but I was dissapointed with what I found under my truck after hearing all the horror stories. I suspect the rack area will be the first/biggest issue I can be concerned about because these trucks don't leak oil all over the front suspension like all the old ones did.I still believe in Toyota to do the right thing, but with sales and the economy the way they are I suspect that they may not be able to without putting themselves under.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had to get rid of my 2000 Tundra with 136,000 mls as the frame was so rusted I could not jack up the back of the truck with out the jack going through the frame. With winter coming and the fact I have my grandchildren in the truck once in a while I could not risk a problem. I traded it in for an 05 Toyota Highalnder Limited. I did not want to sell the truck privatley so I traded it in. I miss my truck but the Highlander is a great vehicle with a smooth ride.Best part not a trace of rust anywhere. Now that I have traded it Toyota will probably issue a recall with my luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a "re-called" Tacoma. Toyota sent a rep to look at it and take pics...the entire driver side of the rear suspension was separated from the frame...I bought it from a "friend" dealer that way..anyway, Toyota gave me MORE than high retail for the buy back so I made a few bucks on the deal. The guy told me that the steel that was used was imported and an inferior (DAH) quality. He thought it came from overseas but not Japan, probably outsourced to China. Who knows except Toyota and they're not saying much. I also own an '07 Tundra which is not supposed to have any issues...I live in Arkansas so there is very little salt used on the roads much unlike the northern and northeastern states so, the underside of my truck is as clean as the day I bought it. When I lived in New Jersey, we generally figured about 5 years before the body of any vehicle, undercoated or not, would rust through however, the frame is quite another issue. My son-in-law owns a dealership so if I hear any vibes concerning frame rust or any other re-call info on the Tundra(s), I'll post it because I know some dealers won't say a thing unless you initiate the process.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I can't understand why you people would buy another Toyota if they don't want to stand behind the Tundra unlike they did with the Tacoma. If Toyota doesn't replace my frame (if it needs it) or give me 150% of Kelly Blue Book for my truck, they will never see another penny from me. I love my truck but what's right is right.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I can't understand why you people would buy another Toyota if they don't want to stand behind the Tundra unlike they did with the Tacoma. If Toyota doesn't replace my frame (if it needs it) or give me 150% of Kelly Blue Book for my truck, they will never see another penny from me. I love my truck but what's right is right.

:amen: Toyota would never get another dime!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If your frame rusted out on your truck in 9 years why would you give Toyota more of your money???? I would hope that if you trade for a 05 toyota that the 05 would have not rust. I can tell you that when they do whatever they do, good or bad I will be done with Toyota.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Shoot, if Toyota happens to buy my 2000 Tundra back it will be the second truck of mine that they've bought.... I figure that'd put me on a roll. How could I not take my chances on another one?

Cory

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just want to say that I am sorry for not posting in awhile. I have a 2000 Tundra with frame rust. Hurlbert Toyota in Epping, NH replaced the whole suspension and cross members at no cost to me. I did what everyone suggested and filed a complaint with Toyota and NHSTA. Well I just got off the phone with Larry Long of the NHSTA. He stated to me that there is now a full blown investigation by NHSTA into the rust problem with the 2000 and 2001 Tundra. He told me Toyota had been notified and has not gotten back to him yet. According to him there have only been 2 dozen reports to his office. I suggest that if you have any rust problems go to the NHSTA web site and file a complaint. Power in numbers. I will keep everyone posted as I become informed by the NHSTA.

·
Registered
66 Posts
How could there only be 2 dozen? I checked there site today and there was 215 "STRUCTURE:FRAME AND MEMBERS" on file for the 2000 Tunndra and 44 for the 2001 Tundra. Most of these are to involve rust. I think they should check there web site out.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, I almost hate to post this but the more info the better, right? I just purchased a 2000 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4 literally two days ago from a used car lot here in Colorado ... in fact, I just joined Tundra Solutions earlier this evening. This is one of the first threads I stumbled upon and after about an hour of reading page after page after page of horror stories I was feeling pretty sick about my recent purchase. This Tundra is my 4th Toyota pickup ( 2 Tacos & a T-100 ) and I have had absolutely no issues with any of the other trucks, so the thought of having just traded away a perfectly fantastic T-100 for a lemon had me very concerned ... so I headed out to take a gander at my new Toy .... and there is not a speck of rust to be found anywhere on the frame. Whew!

That said, is there anything I should be doing right now to keep my frame rust free? We do get a fair amount of snow here in Colorado, but I don't believe Mag Chloride is used to quite the same extent as in the Northeastern states ... seems like our department of transportation relies on the sun to melt off most of our snow. Nonetheless, I know that Mag Chloride is used on some roads so I want to make sure I do everything I can to preserve the frame in its current condition. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Well, I was under a customer's 2002 regular cab long bed V8 4x4 today, under 90k on it and the rust is pretty nasty, talked to the owner when I brought it back to her, found out (1) the spare tire had already jettisoned itself previously and was repaired (2) a front strut recently snapped right off and needed replacement (3) no mention of the rust issues had come to her attention at any point. This truck looks like new on the outside, clean paint, straight bumpers, no dents, driven very easily, never abused. Any doubts that I had about this rust issue (and there were not many) are surely gone now. I know there are many trucks out there, rusting out from under their owners quitely while Toyota holds their breath and waits for it to pass. We need to be active about this issue guys, tell any Tundra owner you can, let's get this out so it has to be dealt with. I saw a Craigslist posting locally about this problem, I think it's a fine idea, the more people involved the better all our chances are. The Tundra is a fantastic truck, it's needs to be supported as well as the Tacoma's were, it's only fair. Scott

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
A 2002 huh? Right now, Toyota says they are investigating 2000 & 2001 model years. Of course, other years will be added, as ones like the 2002 you describe come to light. I wonder exactly WHEN Toyota realized the frames issue and made a change to the frame prep or frame manufacturer? I have a 2006 that is not showing the signs my 2000 did, but then again, it's only 3 years old.

I do agree with nhdubfan, though ---- ALL of these rust issues must be reported to the NHSTA and to Toyota to get some results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got under my 2002 Tundra TRD SR5 extra cab to assess the rust this past weekend.
I was dumbfounded! Control arms,front wishbone,suspension brackets,and rear differential look like a shipwreck thats been under the sea for 100 years.
The rear differential housing has rusted completely through and is leaking through the side of the housing!
I bought the truck new in Nov of '01.It now has 84,000 miles.
I've always washed off the salt in the winter.The body panels show no rust at all and the
outside of the truck looks like new.
I had a Chevy truck kept under the same conditions that after 15 years and 250,000 miles looked nothing like this.
It has been a great truck.This is heartbreaking.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Well, sadly, welcome to the club. Please read this whole thread & take the time to report the problems to the NHTSA and to Toyota directly.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey, what do you think about getting some bumper stickers made up?,They could read something like YA I DRIVE ONE!ASK ME ABOUT MY TUNDRAS FRAME RUSTING OFF,Then put them on your trucks, take pics and send to toyota with your claim #s

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Certainly an option, but not sure it would accomplish very much. I mean, they've been highlighted in segments on local newscasts . The pressue is on, and the NTHSA is involved. Seems to me the thing we need is for all owners in rust prone states to REPORT THE PROBLEM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another Tundra taken off the road. A friend of mine said his ras shaking violently when driving. I told him to take it to our mechanic (as we use the same guy). The shackles are broken on the rear left and the bracket has broken off the frame rails. All the cross members are shot. He took it to the dealer and they said not to drive it, and that there is no program for these trucks right now. Same old same old. He filed with Toyota and the feds.

Let everyone you see driving a Tundra about the frame issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Another Tundra taken off the road. A friend of mine said his ras shaking violently when driving. I told him to take it to our mechanic (as we use the same guy). The shackles are broken on the rear left and the bracket has broken off the frame rails. All the cross members are shot. He took it to the dealer and they said not to drive it, and that there is no program for these trucks right now. Same old same old. He filed with Toyota and the feds.

Let everyone you see driving a Tundra about the frame issue.

So the "ANSWER" for now is don't drive the truck:eek:

Seems like I would be driving it into the service bay walls and stating it was uncontrollable then wait for THEIR insurance to pay up:cool:

Repo

401 - 420 of 2392 Posts