Toyota Tundra Forums banner

121 - 140 of 2392 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
filed a complaint with toyota in september 2008. I don't expect toyota to do anything about it unless enough people start bichn and complaining to toyota

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
I have owned Hondas, Chevys, Fords, a few Dodges, a few Volkswagens, and a Jeep. I have yet to see any of those manufacturers produce a truck that I would consider owning or that would meet my needs for my business. Now if things change in the future then maybe I would consider a different brand but as of this time Toyota is the only one. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but I still have yet to see any other manufacturer out there step to the plate like Toyota did on the Tacoma issue. I do business the old fashioned way - with those who do business the way I want to be treated instead of what may be best for their bottom line or shareholders. Integrity is a waning concept in this day and age. Toyota at least has some whereas others threw it away decades ago.

I was not the first owner of my old Tacoma and Toyota bought it back no questions asked.

Honda makes a ridgeline truck but I wouldn't consire it since it's butt Ugly . Gm has made some serious improvement on there new Truck's and Dodge is decent if there still around.

Toyota has helped me when I purchased my Then New 2000 Tundra on the brake topic . Toyota does see a corelation on your buying power very likely explains my check for customer loyally rebate that was offered on my 2000 Tundra that I received.I like Toyota based on certain quality but something's lately have lacked on repair's.i'll say this I had a Tundra meet last week and ran into someone at my function that had issues on his new 2008 Tundra. He showed us the repair bill and guess what his new 08 Tundra had 2 transmissions replaced and the dam drive shaft fell out of his Tundra 5 weeks ago and this truck has 5k on miles. He is talking with an attorney and should have some aneswers within this week but I'll say this Toyota has a Bad Lemon on there lineup as well.The main differace between Toyota is trying to kept the customer happy within Corp level's .I can't speak for the stealership since most of my dealings have been going over the service rep's since they can't seem to get problems solved right. The service rep's dont make the product and many times corp has to get involved just to get the ball rolling right.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, power to the peoples! I sent in my form to the NHSTA. The hardest part was copying my VIN number into the little box/ Man I am getting old. Will see what will happen with Toyota. Other than my truck gettin scaley rust and one broken stack piece on my right side leaf spring (due to rust or no rust issue) things are not bad yet under there. I kinda like the taste of rust in my mouth and in my eyes is the best......:shockeda:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Agreed. Keep those complaints and photos coming! I lost $6000 on my Tundra trading it in for a song as I couldn't sell it outright. My Wife refused to ride in it anymore and didn't want me driving it anymore.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've registered my complaint as should you all. The thing that will probably do us in though, is the sheer numbers of trucks involved. It's not just the gen 1's involved here. Apparently, from what I've been reading, regardless of what year yours is, by the time your Tundra is 8-9 years old, it will look like the pics you see here unless it had rust prevention treatment from day 1.
My guess is that the same frame manufacturer they used in 2000 is making the frames today, and chances are good they are being made the same way now as they were then. Not that the manufacture process itself is at fault, but the corrosion inhibition step of the process (or more to the point - the complete lack thereof )

Therefore, if Toyota admits fault, they will have to keep on doing so for many years. They will try to pass the buck to the frame manufacturer, and if that's successful, that company will eventually go under, and we are all screwed !

The rear differential seems to be the first place to see rust in a new tundra, and although made by a different company, it does not seem to get the correct corrosion prevention treatment either.

What brings this all into focus to me, is that my paper thin bodywork sheetmetal (with the exception of my woeful bed surface that is rusted through from underneath around the mount plates) is in excellent shape - why? - It got a corrosion inhibitor applied during manufacture. The framework is 5 times thicker and stronger, yet is rotting away !

A look into the future would probably see Toyota falling to the bottom of the heap over this, and my opinion is that that would be deserved.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I filed a NHSTA report and then called Toyota and gave them a report of my concerns with the truck rusting issue. Toyota said they have no recall like for the Tacoma is setup or even started as of yet, we need to have more owners call in and state there complaints they are not upset to hear this as they said this is how they learn what is good or bad about there products.
So go for it what is ten minutes of your time you may get something started that could help thousands.
Kevin
I am going to call this number too, 800-331-4331. My 2004 only has 27,000 miles and has quite a few places rusting on the frame. I do live in PA which really sucks with the crap they throw in the winter but still for the low miles I have on the truck it should not have the rust issues that it does. I'm faithful at cleaning the undercarriage every 2-5 days during the winter.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2001 regular cab Tundra and the rear crossmember is completely rusted through where it attaches to the side rails. I filed a report online with NHTSA. I have already bougtha new crossmember for $300 and will be putting it in in the next few months, though if Toyota decides to pony up after that I probably won't get squat since it will no longer have a rusted out part. The rest of the frame is extremely rusty but not perforated.
Larry

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 2001 regular cab Tundra and the rear crossmember is completely rusted through where it attaches to the side rails. I filed a report online with NHTSA. I have already bougtha new crossmember for $300 and will be putting it in in the next few months, though if Toyota decides to pony up after that I probably won't get squat since it will no longer have a rusted out part. The rest of the frame is extremely rusty but not perforated.
Larry
Document and keep everything related to the repair. Back when Toyota started replacing head gaskets on the 3.0L V6 in the ealry 90's trucks at least some people who had documentation that they had already had the truck repaired for the head gasket problem at their own expense were able to get reimbursement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was on the phone with Toyota customer service and, while the rep wouldn't say they were going to issue a recall, he implied that I should sit tight because one was going to happen. Then again, maybe he was trying to get me off the phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The only way to get Toyota to face up to this problem is to get together and let them know that we're all out here getting together on this issue. I just sent a detailed complaint letter and images to the MA Attorney General's office. I've requested that they mediate this problem between me and Falmouth Toyota where I purchased the vehicle -- or Toyota if necessary. I don't know where it will lead, but the more people that speak out the bettter. I have set up a group on Facebook called "Toyota Rust Problem" to try and alert people to this problem. If you want to join the group, just log on to Facebook and search for it.

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
I was on the phone with Toyota customer service and, while the rep wouldn't say they were going to issue a recall, he implied that I should sit tight because one was going to happen. Then again, maybe he was trying to get me off the phone.
Sooooo, which was it? Your red statement contradicts your blue statement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have a 2000 tundra with a rusted out cross member that the steering rack is attached too under motor. The steering rack is rotted away from the cross member under motor making it unsafe to drive. Brought to a toyota dealer in N.J. they took pictures and sent them to Toyota to open a case I contacted toyota I have a case manager and all that bulls--t but still no word I was informed no program at this time and toyota didnt have anything for me at this time. I want to buy another Tundra am I crazy? This sucks no truck still at stealer no money down for new truck total loss or junk yard it is wow 9 yrs. 129,000 miles orig. owner factory rustproofed and ziebarted rinsed all the time and dealer maintained I too had alot of work done two months ago 3000.00 you would think they would notice rotten frame and no availble fix that toyota suggested. No welder will touch for liability reasons its the a arm connecions and steering rack that is totally gone will file complaint with nhtsa and get involved with class action let me know pissed off and on:faint:

·
Registered
796 Posts
If this is an ongoing problem like it seems to be.Toyota should step up and recall the earlier Tundra's...
Then,they should send a letter to everyone who has a newer truck(right up to 09), to bring their truck to their local dealer to have the frame treated before they rust too bad...
Wouldn't that be cheaper in the long run for Toyota ?????

my 06 has rust on every weld,and is worse then it should be IMO !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody tried a rust remover chemical on their trucks yet?

There are two products that I have found that both have good reviews..

The first one leaves a protective coating after you apply the rust remover
Rust Control

And the second one is a spray on solution that requires a top coat after you are done... this product seems more appropriate for items like brake backing plates and the crank for the spare tire carrier...
For great rust removal Safest Rust Remover

If anybody has had used either product, please post reviews!

Thanks

·
Locked in for life
1,118 Posts
Ouch. Got under there tonight for the first time in a while. While the pictures aren't half as bad as some of the others on here, they are disturbing just the same:

Right front. From this angle you can see the swaybar connector is rotted and the assembly is disconnected. Also, the brake line connectors are no longer attached

Some misc other shots:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just went to Google and typed Tundra rust ( one word) and read some interesting articles regarding 2000 to 2004 rust recalls investagations by Toyota.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Ouch. Got under there tonight for the first time in a while. While the pictures aren't half as bad as some of the others on here, they are disturbing just the same:

Right front. From this angle you can see the swaybar connector is rotted and the assembly is disconnected. Also, the brake line connectors are no longer attached
Ouch! Those pics concern me for safety if that truck was put under stress (accident). It would buckle very quickly. Damn NE salt and chemicals will destroy any car/truck if it is not protected. Toyota needs to understand the North is very different from the South, and it has nothing to do with politics!!!!

121 - 140 of 2392 Posts