Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Tundra with 136000 miles and have holes rusted through the frame. I live in New Hampshire. I have filled a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration E mail address is WWW. NHTSA. gov and recieved a case number. I also contacted Toyota U S A Headquaters in Calif. I called the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800 331-4331 and filled a complaint with them as well. I recieved a call the next day from a case worker at Toyota Headquaters who gave me a case number to refer to. He asked if he could record the conversation which I aggreed to. He asked a lot of questions including the V I N number of the truck. Anyone who has a 2000-2001 Tundra truck with a rusting frame should make the same contacts and file a report. According to the " case worker" Toyota is looking into the Tundra issue but has not issued a recall. By the way it is a good thing I called Toyota as I am the second owner and they did not have me listed as the current owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and own a 2001 Tundra with 60,000 miles and a badly corroded frame. There are no holes yet and the body of the truck has no rust. Dana corporation makes the frames of the Tundras and also the frames of the Tacomas that were recalled. I wrote and called Toyota Customer service, and was assigned a case number. As of June 2009, they are in 'investigation mode' and don't yet have a recall program. I urge anyone with a 2000-2001 Tundra to check your truck's frame for corrosion and contact Toyota if you have this problem.

I see no excuse for this type of defect to occur from a company like Toyota. The technology has existed for a long time to prevent this kind of corrosion.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have called toyota and talked with them about this issue. My truck is a 2001 and the frame is very rusted, I have tried to save it but the rust just comes back. One of the techs at the dealership told me that Toyota had them taking pics of the rusted Tundra frames. Hope they help us out with this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everyone who has a rusty tundra needs to file a complaint WWW. NHTSA. gov. My truck is a 2001 and I take good care of it, the frame rust has come back every time I have tried to fix it. Toyota needs to go good for this!

·
Registered
200 Posts
i did the same thing and got a case number they better do something real quick or else these frames aint gonna hold

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just hope everyone calls about this issue. There are people out there who dont even know there frame is shot. I had a 96 taco, sold it to my dad. He was banging on the frame with a hammer and put a hole in it....I felt like s**t for selling him the truck. Toyota bought it back from him, now I have the 01 tundra and the frame is rusted out. I will post some pics soon.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I have an '03 AC. After reading so much concerning the rust issues here, I jacked up the truck and had a good look... I was speechless. What a mess. I posted a few pictures in my gallery. I have spent a lot of time with a wire brushes, drill and wire brushes, and sand paper. POR-15 has been applied in between the raindrops and more to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That is a crazy amount of rust for a 03. I like the pics that show your rusted frame and in the background you can see the body has no rust! Like I said before I used rust bullet paint and the rust came back.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I was surprised at how little the body showed rust as compared to the frame. I have spent quite a bit of time on the frame since the pictures of the rust were taken. Still more work to. After seeing pics of others, particulary jbtoy, I will be tending to the bottom of the bed as well as a preventative measure.

mainhunter, as you are not far from me, you will note the road treatment solutions that areas such as Calais, Baileyville and others put down during the winter. This combined with how Toyota has manufactured these frames is not compatible. Washing the bottom only works so much with our winters. I am sure if the salt air has something to do with or not.

With all the work done since acquiring the truck, I will continue to work the issue, including the addtion of a couple of zinc rods.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My truck is at the dealer for some warranty work, I asked service this morning if they had any knowlage of Tundra rust issues and the reply was a angry "never". The service person that I talked was less than interested to talk about it. I would not have work done there if it was not free.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
i just bought my 2001 1 owner toyota from a dealer in cleavland. It only has 50000 original miles and my frame has rust too. Im gonna sand on it and clean it a bit but i guess i need to keep an eye on the truck. I Live in southern WV and our winters are not really all that bad so i am hoping that it doest get worse.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
i just bought my 2001 1 owner toyota from a dealer in cleavland. It only has 50000 original miles and my frame has rust too. Im gonna sand on it and clean it a bit but i guess i need to keep an eye on the truck. I Live in southern WV and our winters are not really all that bad so i am hoping that it doest get worse.
The key is to remove the rust and then provide protection. You are not in a high salt area, so you should be okay after some protection work.

My truck is at the dealer for some warranty work, I asked service this morning if they had any knowlage of Tundra rust issues and the reply was a angry "never". The service person that I talked was less than interested to talk about it. I would not have work done there if it was not free.....
The rust issue is real and it is showing up more and more as these First Gens get older in the Salt States. The dealers have to realize (I hope) that Tundra folk are passionate about their trucks and use quality forums like TS to communicate to each other. The problem is not going to go away. It needs to be dealt with by Toyota to avoid damage to their reputation, which can happen very quickly as word spreads around.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I was surprised at how little the body showed rust as compared to the frame. I have spent quite a bit of time on the frame since the pictures of the rust were taken. Still more work to. After seeing pics of others, particulary jbtoy, I will be tending to the bottom of the bed as well as a preventative measure.
With all the work done since acquiring the truck, I will continue to work the issue, including the addition of a couple of zinc rods.
The bodies are holding up well and I have not really seen any complaints on that, why, because they have been protected. Simple solution, huh? The issues are the frame, cross members, etc as you can see well on your own ride. I am not seeing New England winters anymore, so a little easier to keep my ride out of that salty mess. As you are doing already, need to attack the rust, and then get the metal protected.

·
Registered
333 Posts
That is a crazy amount of rust for a 03. I like the pics that show your rusted frame and in the background you can see the body has no rust! Like I said before I used rust bullet paint and the rust came back.

I painted a lower control arm with RUST BULLET and the other using POR15 about 4 years ago. POR15 seemed to hold up better, the RUST BULLET seems to be breaking down.

I am convinced it all has to do with the Zinc prepwork allowing better adhesion. Both are a very tough paint. I am currently working with KBS coatings (Process mimics POR15).

One thing I don't like about the KBS system is there is no carbon or UV stabilizer so a top coat is required for areas exposed to direct sunlight.

If you can take it down to Bare Metal apply the Zinc prep allowing it to appear a chalky white after drying before painting I think you will be set. One more step I do is heat the metal with a torch before painting...

I have used the Zinc prep with great success on my other vehicles. After 5+ years it still looks great.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
61 Posts
well i got under it today and banged around with a hammer to get some rust off. I got alot of flakes of rust off and then used a wire brush to clean it up and applied rustoleum for now. Now seeing other trucks im not sure where my falls as in the seriousness of my rust problem. I know there are no holes and the frame and by beating on it with a hammer it seems solid. I did find out that both my front and rear bumpers are almost shot. The front has rust holes in it and the mouting brackets have rusted off. the rear has totally rusted away under the grey plastic peices so looks like i gotta replace them. Im a little bit worried but not sure if i should be. My truck went through a 101 point inspections at the toyota dealiership before i bought it and they replaced the serpentine belt, rotors, calipers, and brake pads because they were bad. Im sure if the frame was bad they would have seen it. wouldnt they??:dry:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would just like the frame replaced like they are doing for the tacos now. My truck has all the mods that I want. If I get a new truck I will have to start over, you know how hard those stupid headers are to install!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts