Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at my computer and hear some thuds outside and originally I thought it was some people working in the neighborhood....

Little background before the story blossoms. I live in a townhouse and the neighborhood has taken a turn for the worse the past year and some change. Granted when I moved in (Oct 07'), I didn't have any real problems. But then this wonderful neighbor (about 3 houses down from me) moved in less than a year ago. I believe it's a government subsidized house so take it for what its worth. This lady that lives there has a handful of kids in and out of there all the time. Basically these kids are free to do as they please because the lady seems to have no respect for herself. Oh and not only are kids going in and out of there, but adults as well. They stand outside drinking and smoking with nothing better to do. I'm pretty dam sure that there are drugs going in and out of there because of the quality of people.

As it turns out it wasn't people working, rather it was kids throwing lava rocks at my neighbors Civic and my 2010 Tundra I just purchase a couple weeks ago, not even 1,000 miles on it. Man I'm so pissed right now. My neighbor and I called the three boys over all about the same age, 8ish if I had to guess. She talks to them as she is good with kids, me not so much. Tells them to stop throwing rocks and to pick the ones up that were lying around our vehicles and put them back where they were found. No lie, it was about 30 lava rocks.

I inspect the truck and see 4 spots where I was hit. the drivers side rear door just below the indention took the worst of it. There are two other spots by the drivers window that are noticeable. You can see in the pics. Oh and yes I know I need a wash, the roads are covered with mud because of all the melted snow we had from the blizzard.

I would talk to the lady but I almost think it would make things worse. Besides she saw my neighbor and I talking to the three boys and she just slammed the front door of her house as if we were being intolerable or something.

Sorry for the bad...and long story, but I'm not sure what to do. How much to fix? File a police report? I don't think the damage is $500 worth (my deductible). I don't know, please input. Oh and sorry if this was posted in the wrong section. It is about the Tundra.

Attachments

·
Registered
860 Posts
First, get it fixed. Take the bill to the neighbor and tell her to pay or you'll file a police report (maybe even do that anyway)/press charges. If she's decent about it but can't pay it, tell the kids can work it off ala Gran Torino.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dude, that really sucks big time. Hate to see what kind of trouble those kids will be in when they get a little older. Ya really can't blame the kids tho. Haven't been tought any better. Don't know what to say. Sounds like you might have to move. I wouldn't even bother fixing till you move or they do.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
That sucks man :(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
First, get it fixed. Take the bill to the neighbor and tell her to pay or you'll file a police report (maybe even do that anyway)/press charges. If she's decent about it but can't pay it, tell the kids can work it off ala Gran Torino.
You need to file the police report NOW. Trying to file it later will be frowned on by law enforcement. You can always decline prosecution, at a later date, say, after the bill has been taken care of.

·
Registered
543 Posts
One thing I would do before it happens again, find out what the additional insurance cost would be to lower your deductible on your comprehensive portion of your policy, usually it is only a few bucks extra per month. The difference in my premium for comprehensive with $500 deductible and $0 deductible is something like $23 per year.

I had a situation where some teenagers were hitting golf balls in a field near my house and were actually aiming to see if they could hit the cars and managed to put out a window and damage one door panel, insurance covered it all.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Po-po, NOW. Shoulda been done when it happened. It's vandalism. You need to confront that woman. I've dealt bad neighbors who live ghetto before. They push their luck and show no respect until someone knocks on the door and tells them it's intolerable. My guess if they are that bad is if you make any mention of involving the police things will quiet down and she'll do whatever she needs to do to reign those kids in. Probably things going on in the house that make excessive law enforcement attention undesirable for her. This was the way it was with my last set of neighbors. It's a twin and this idiot meth-head's kids were allowed to scream, run up and down stairs, and throw objects against the wall well into the late hours. I showed up at his door and told him I was ready to dial 911. Things changed very quickly.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
While I feel the way smack does, the fact is that I agree with your assessment of the situation in that it would probably only make the situation worse if you confronted them face to face and then it would give the kids a reason to come back when you are sleeping. Remember, in most cases like this, the parent(s) don't care and the kids don't either. While I do agree that you may want to file a report to document the situation incase there is more trouble so that you are building a case file. It won't hurt to at least document what happened. As much as you want to see them get what they deserve, in some cases it is better to turn the other cheek, if you know what I mean. Tit for tat with people who have nothing and are nothing rarely wins because people like you are the only ones who have something to loose. This is just my opinion and I don't know the law so you may just want to check into what rights you have in a situation like this, that surely couldn't hurt. I had my car egged for no reason except for the fact I was working in an area with the quality of people like your neighbors and I simply touched it up the best I could and lived with the car for many more years. So, I know how ya feel. Sorry to see this happen to you because it just stinks no matter how you slice it!!!!!! Good luck with your situation!!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
You need to confront the lady and tell her what's going on.... your neighbor can be the witness.

If you think that they will come back and damage more while you're sleeping? Then report to the local authority to file the report against them. Mostly likely they won't press charge. But at least if that happen again.... they know where to start.

Make the lady to pay for the damage!

I'll feel your pain... on a brand new truck!

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Call the police immediately!! A crime was commited and the parents need to be held accountable for their children's actions. Just because they can't afford to pay or because it was kids doesn't mean a thing. I would have called the cops right then. I wouldn't compensate for that lady's lack of control over her kids! Man I'm fired up and it wasn't even my truck. They better be glad you are cool headed about it because I wouldn't have been and neither would a lot of guys on this forum. Whatever you decide to do good luck with it. I feel bad for you man!

·
Registered
293 Posts
TALK with the women then beat the KIDs, LOL!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only problem with confronting someone like that is she will probably deny her kids would ever do anything like that, and just give you a bunch of attitude. Go right to the police.

·
Supporting Creeper
114 Posts
First off Im sorry for you mishap....Had it been me I would have had a cop over immediatley and had the kids and the owner of the house spoken with. I would of had a police report filed then and there....That is vandelism of property, regardless of how old the kids are. They need to be handle properly and if you think drugs are going in and out of the house then that would be a better time than any for a cop to speak with the lady and get suspisous at her attitude or what he sees around and possibly in the house.

·
Registered
513 Posts
go right to the police. if you try anything other than that it can just get you in trouble. feel bad for the kids, mom needs to be corrected.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
File a report. Maybe the hosehound has a criminal history and will lose her kids. That may give them a fighting chance at a productive life.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Ouch. That sucks, even if it was my 2007
I would definitely file the report with police and let the lady pick up that bill.
Otherwise you will be painting your truck every other week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Too late now but call the police. I had a situation with some white trash moved in to lease to own the house across the street. Called the police one day about some reckless endangerment. Cop asked me what I wanted. Kid was a young teen, I told the cop we've both been young and dumb. Scare the dog **** out of but please don't arrest him unless he gets mouthy. Everyone needs a chance.
Cop was so good at scaring the kid he scared me!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Damn! If thatd happen to mine my mossy would be introduced...sorry bout your Tundra..

·
Registered
50 Posts
You should file a police report ASAP. You should have done it immediately. Then once you have documented proof of what transpired you should confront the irresponsible woman. Tell her she needs to pay for the damages. If she refuses, sue her and you'll win.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts