Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They've finally posted some confirmation about Ford's new engine lineup for their 1/2 ton trucks (F-150). Here's some highlights in case you don't want to read the entire article:

• Base engine will be the 3.7 V6, rated at 300hp/275tq... 6100 lbs towing capacity. Available with XL, XLT, STX trims, Available late2010
  • Volume engine will be the 5.0 V8, rated at 360hp/380tq... 9800 lbs towing capacity. Available with all trims, Available late 2010
  • Special Edition engine will be the 6.2 V8, rated at 434hp/411tq... 11300 lbs towing capacity. Available with Harley Davidson, Platinum, and Raptor trims... Available late 2010.
  • Premium Engine will be the Ecoboost 3.5 V6 Twin-Turbo, rated at 365hp/408tq (possibly)... 11300 lbs towing capacity. Available in "virtually" all trims, Available early 2011.
Good for Ford for introducing a good engine lineup. It's things like this that make the other manufacturers step-up & revamp their engine lineup (like the Tundra 5.7 did...). Anyhow, here's the Link: Ford F-150 News: 2011 Ford F-150 Engine Specs ? Car and Driver

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Pretty nice numbers, but I still think he Tundra is sperior... That TT V6 should be pretty stout though. Just up the boost. :D And if it is put in a RCSB Ford, should be pretty cool...

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Im interested to see what actually users will make of the 3.5L twin turbo. To be honest i've always been a supported of "there is no replacement for displacement."

Another thing im wondering about is i heard there was some speculation/rumors out there that the intercooler would only last for 170,000miles or so? But i could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
916 Posts
It'll be interesting, thats for sure! I am a Ford guy, but the 5.4 just didn't have enough guts for me. The main reason I went with the Tundra is lower price and bigger engine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Spoon059 must have test-driven the same F-150 I did!:p For me, it was a tough choice,I like the Fords exterior and interior as well if not better than my Tundra. Just couldn't pull the '5.4 trigger' for the MPG difference verses power.The Sequential shifter on the Tundra put it over the top.......THIS TIME:rolleyes: I really would always rather buy from an American owned company.I'm thinking Ford may have a truck coming that's gonna turn a few of our heads.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It'll be interesting, thats for sure! I am a Ford guy, but the 5.4 just didn't have enough guts for me. The main reason I went with the Tundra is lower price and bigger engine.
Agree with you 100% and this may make me hold off ffom looking into the 2010 Tundra CM.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry if this has already been posted, but we finally have some confirmation about Ford's new engine lineup. Here's some highlights in case you don't want to read the entire article:

• Base engine will be the 3.7 V6, rated at 300hp/275tq... 6100 lbs towing capacity. Available with XL, XLT, STX trims, Available late2010
  • Volume engine will be the 5.0 V8, rated at 360hp/380tq... 9800 lbs towing capacity. Available with all trims, Available late 2010
  • Special Edition engine will be the 6.2 V8, rated at 434hp/411tq... 11300 lbs towing capacity. Available with Harley Davidson, Platinum, and Raptor trims... Available late 2010.
  • Premium Engine will be the Ecoboost 3.5 V6 Twin-Turbo, rated at 365hp/408tq (possibly)... 11300 lbs towing capacity. Available in "virtually" all trims, Available early 2011.
Good for Ford for introducing a good engine lineup. It's things like this that make the other manufacturers step-up & revamp their engine lineup (like the Tundra 5.7 did...). Anyhow, here's the Link: Ford F-150 News: 2011 Ford F-150 Engine Specs ? Car and Driver

I saw a 2011 Super Duty on the lot yesterday with a 6.2 V8..Don't know if it is the same engine you listed..I like the looks of the Super Duty and really need a 3/4 ton to haul my truck camper legally..

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Too bad Toyota's line up isn't expected to change any time soon. I'm not so sure I would want a twin turbo in my truck either unless I just drove around town with it basically and did some recreational stuff for the most part. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I need the natural power of a good v8 or I'm just making up for a short coming in my male psyche.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
It would be interesting to see how they would work a Turbo Charged Gas engine. Typically those things are dawgs until you hit boost and then they come on strong. Isn't part of a big motor needed to tow at all speeds and situations. You have to wait to hit boost in the ford to get full power..

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I'm sitting here in the office browsing through this post. Just got done listening to another guy in an office down the hall get off the phone yelling at the Ford Service department trying to get his 2010 F150 righteous from some malady for about the 10th time in the last year.

I'm also reminiscing about the 5.4 I had in a 2006 F250 and how, when I first read the HP/Torque numbers on it, they seemed potent. Then I got to real world driving and the thing was a complete DOG.... My Dad had the same experience with a recent F150.

Increasing the complexity of their systems utilizing turbos or anything else is just going to erode already questionable durability/reliability in an attempt to up the misguided numbers they put in their advertisements.

It doesn't matter what numbers Ford puts down on paper to amaze you, when you spend more time pulling it into the service dept than putting gas into it, get out of the thing after another uncomfortable drive, or hit a hill and watch the speedometer fall off (loaded or unloaded) while people in Hyundai's pass you, Ford is not an option for the informed, real world truck using consumer. The competition for a superior all around vehicle is not won on paper.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
In defense of Ford I have owned 4 Expeditions and 4 mustangs and had zero issues with them that were not self induced; all vehilces have issues and the Tundra is not above that as proven by posts on here.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
TURBO= SUPREME GASOLINE and cost more.
TURBO+ MORE PROBLEMS in long run.

Well said above, there is truly no replacement for displacement, unless you maxed out displacement and your a speed junky and added A TRD SUPERCHARGER! But I digress and back on topic.

As I have said before THAT I also want to see what the 5L can do for the heavy F150.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...trying to get his 2010 F150 righteous from some malady for about the 10th time in the last year...

I'm also reminiscing about the 5.4 I had in a 2006 F250 and how...real world driving and the thing was a complete DOG....

...Increasing the complexity of their systems utilizing turbos or anything else is just going to erode already questionable durability/reliability in an attempt to up the misguided numbers they put in their advertisements....

It doesn't matter what numbers Ford puts down on paper to amaze you...Ford is not an option for the informed, real world truck using consumer. The competition for a superior all around vehicle is not won on paper.
I don't know Simsj... the purpose of this thread is to point out that Ford has a new/improved Engine lineup. I also had an '04 F-150 with the weak 5.4L. But, it looks (on paper of course) that we can't really compare those old trucks & engines with the new ones, judging by their numbers and all the favorable reviews the new trucks have been getting.

I saw a 2011 Super Duty on the lot yesterday with a 6.2 V8..Don't know if it is the same engine you listed..I like the looks of the Super Duty and really need a 3/4 ton to haul my truck camper legally..
Yeah XCHEVY, it's the same engine... the 6.2L will now come as the Base Engine in the F-250's. I was just focusing on the 1/2-ton line, since they're the direct competition for our Tundras.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I think those are great engines to put in their trucks! Should be a big selling point for Ford for sure!
Only thing I don't understand is putting in the 3.5L TT... as a daily driver, I imagine you'll get the benefit of fuel efficiency, but put anything in weight on it and it will get less mpg than probably any of the other engines listed there. I just don't see that being an advantage for a work-truck. Maybe it's just me...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts