Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed the oil and filter along with the plugs on my 2004 Tundra V8. Went for a test drive and it hesitates when under acceleration and the check engine flasthed a few times but then went off. Any ideas? The new plugs are Autolite.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,540 Posts
I just changed the oil and filter along with the plugs on my 2004 Tundra V8. Went for a test drive and it hesitates when under acceleration and the check engine flasthed a few times but then went off. Any ideas? The new plugs are Autolite.
Yeah. It's the Autolites you put in there. They're crap in the 2UZFE. Get them out and replace with the appropriate Denso or NGK plugs. FWIW, I like the NGK #BKR6EIX Iridiums. Don't forget to use a small dab of anti-seize on the threads.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Also, make sure the gap is correct. If the gap was too tight, you might get this problem.

·
7,925 Posts
What Remmy said times 100. Toyota engines are very finicky when it comes to plugs.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Autolites are good fishing weights.

Also check the insulators at the bottom of the coils for cracks as this can cause HV leakage and resultant flashover (causing misfire) that your mil light will respond to. Also make sure that your plug tool is clean inside so you do not track contaminants ( oil, grease etc) onto the new plug insulators ( this causes issues down the road ). Check for hairline cracks in the insulators from a misaligned plug socket causing stress or even if the plugs got dropped somewhere along the line. If you unplugged the 4 pin connectors on top of the coils, make sure they are fully engaged. Did you put any metal based lubricant on the plug threads like Never Sieze or Copper Coat ? These compounds are electrically conductive and if they get onto the electrodes or on the plug insulators you will get misfire. If this is the case, throughly ( and carefully ) clean the coil insulator boots before installing new plugs. If you must use lubricants like this you need only a tiny bit on the threads and I mean a tiny bit as it will spread out quite substancially. I prefer not to use these compounds and never had any issues in over 1,000,000 miles on aluminum heads.

Did I mention Autolites make good fishing weights ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts