Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the commercial for the new Lexus LS Hybrid with 430hp, and it makes me wonder why we aren't seeing this sort of technology in the Tundra (and every other vehicle Toyota makes).

From the Lexus website:

The Groundbreaking New Lexus LS 600h L

As the world's first production full-hybrid vehicle equipped with a V8 powertrain, just about every feature on the LS 600h L breaks new ground. The heart of this remarkable vehicle is the Lexus Hybrid Drive system, combining an all-new 5.0-liter V8 gas engine with a high-output electronic motor, providing the LS 600h L with environmental efficiency as well as an impressive estimated 430-horsepower total system output [1]. With an expected Super Ultra-Low Emission Vehicle (SULEV) rating, the LS 600h L has nearly 70 percent fewer smog-forming emissions than the "cleanest" of its competitors.

I mean, the technology obviously exists...if it benefits the environment (and it does), and it reduces dependency on foreign oil (and it would), why doesn't Toyota just start making all of their cars hybrids? Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm going to take a wild guess...

Toyota today announced it will sell its new 2008 LS 600h L luxury hybrid sedan for $104000 when it reaches Lexus dealers in June

·
Registered
352 Posts

Toyota today announced it will sell its new 2008 LS 600h L luxury hybrid sedan for $104000 when it reaches Lexus dealers in June
I was about to say... Cost would be the biggest obstacle. It added 5K to the price of my wife's highlander hybrid

Jim

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the whole price thing...but it's like anything else, if they sell enough volume of any given product they can lower the price per unit. The cost for the technology would decrease if it were sold in higher volume.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thing of it is, not enough people are buying into the hybrid vehicles yet. While they do give better mileage (and power) the added cost does not offset it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The problem is that there is, currently, no evidence that truck or SUV buyers prefer vehicles that get higher gas mileage. Everyone talks about it but, in the end, people buy bigger, heavier vehicles. There is simply very little demand for hybrids.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If they get the price thing and reliability down i think people will buy em. Although i think thats several years down the road.

·
Registered
357 Posts

The price difference is not all from the hybrid system, a lot of extras you can not get on the non hybrid LS. Seems to be about a 10k price difference for most of the hybrids in the lineup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts