Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several posts regarding problems with Tundras and had a poster make a comment that got me wondering. Is the current Tundra as good as past Toyota production models. Now I know I'm not using trucks to compare here but over the past 30 years our family as owned: 1 Tercel, 1 Camry, 3 Corollas, 2 Rav 4s, 1 Tacoma and 1 Tundra. All the above vehicles have been a pleasure to drive and own. Grandparents, parents and kids owned them. Usually passed down from on generation to another.

Is the newest and best Tundra going to live up to the Toyota Tradition that we, at least in our family, expect and respect?

(Not trying to stir up the pot or pit one against the other here but just good old fashioned opinion and such)
BTW Happy Easter...No family around this Easter as everyone is scattered to the Four Winds, but had a great time at breakfast with a WWII retired vet who was battlefield commissioned from sargent to 2nd lieutenant. He and I met stealing rocks from a state road project that the state was blowing off the side of a mountain. Rocks look good in our yards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing more and more lately, although I have not owned nearly as many Toyotas as you. I had a 94 Toyota pickup SR5 V6 that I wish I never sold and currently own a 2000 Toyota Trundra with the V8. My 94 I owned for 5 years and put on about 70K miles (59K to 133K). During that time the only maintenance I did outside of routine was a clutch replacement, replaced both front calipers due to a frozen piston in both, and of course the pesky frozen parking brake shackle.

On my Tundra I have had to go through the brakes a couple times due to the infamous hopping, the throttle position sensor went, and I have an odd rattling/almost vibration sound in the engine compartment between 55 and 60 MPH which I still have yet to figure out (if anyone has experienced this or has any information please let me know). My engine doesn't seem to idle as smoothly as I would expect from an eight cylinder and it seems to vibrate more than I would expect (another issue I have noticed plagues many Tundra owners). Also, when the truck is initially started if it isn't left for about a minute to warm up the engine will bog down, almost to the point of stalling, when shifted into gear. And this truck only has 81K miles on it. I like the truck. I just wish I wasn't constantly tinkering with it so much.

·
Registered
754 Posts
you guys have to admit its their 2nd gen full size (psuedo the first) Pick up truck...so there gonna have mistakes vs the big 3 who have been doing it forever.

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I only have 45K on mine, but it has been hassle free (except when I let them put the gas pedal fix on it, but that will be remedied next week). Scheduled maint. and put gas in it, just like my Corollas and Camry. I have also read posts where members have 100K trouble free miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
29581 miles on my truck. No problems so far. Hope it stays the same.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Im with GunTech and ericfitz, Im at 25106 TROUBLE FREE and Deleriously Happy miles. I LOVE my Tundra!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Buy the April 2010 issue of Consumer Reports or read the one your local library has. The '07 on up Tundra has not been as reliable as the 1st generation Tundra, especially 4x4 V8 models. The 2WD models have better than average reliability, however (but not much better than average like the Toyota pickups of the early 90's, 80's and late 70's).

·
Registered
918 Posts
The Toyotas of the 70s, 80s, and 90s were not expected to be technological masterpieces that coddled 4-6 passengers in first class comfort, accelerated as quickly as BMWs, towed 10,000 pounds, averaged mid teen fuel economy while doing it all, and last to 200K with zero problems despite the complex technologogy you need to use to do all that.

Is Toyota perfect? Of course not. Are their products, and espcecially their trucks what they used to be? It's debatable and hard to say, as most of us remember the good times we had with trucks we owned 15 years ago and not every single tiny quality issue we experienced. We tend not to recall every single funny sound the engine on that 95 T100 made. We don't recall ever single time the steering wheel or brake pedal ever vibrated just a little bit on that 93 Tacoma. I'm quite sure we didn't make detailed notes somewhere every time there was a squeak from the front or rear suspension. I don't think, when you were sitting in your 85 Toyota Truck, that you took particular notice that the right side of the dashboard sat half an inch lower than the left side. We remember that we got 200K out of it without ever having to spend more than a couple hundred bucks in one shot, and that there wasn't a catastrophic faulure, that's it.

When we bought that basic, tiny Toyota truck 18 years ago it was probably for weekend projects, to beat on off road, or maybe to commute to college. Probably not to drive to the office 45 minutes each way, 5 days a week, and take our loved ones on thousand mile road trips several times per year. Our tastes weren't as discerning as they are now and our expectations were different because trucks were used for different things then than they are now. You will harp on things more in a 36000 dollar daily-driven crew cab 4x4 in 2010 than you would on that beater Xtra cab Tacoma you used for weekend projects, occasional off roading, and light hauling/towing back in the early 90s.

Oh yeah and some of those 10-12 year old trucks we remember so fondly as being vastly superior to what we have now are being recalled for frame rot aren't they?

All that aside I firmly believe they stand by their products better than any of the domestics, have a better corporate culture, and are a better company to buy from. Coming from the big 3, it's the first time ever that I've seen a company demonstrate what seems to be genuine shame for customer dissatisfaction. Screw consumer reports. Sorry to offend anybody but they are just another source, not the gospel. I can make a statistic reflect anything you want it to.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Buy the April 2010 issue of Consumer Reports or read the one your local library has. The '07 on up Tundra has not been as reliable as the 1st generation Tundra, especially 4x4 V8 models. The 2WD models have better than average reliability, however (but not much better than average like the Toyota pickups of the early 90's, 80's and late 70's).
Consumer reports is about as reliable as my grandmother with Alzheimers.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I've got 43K miles that are relatively trouble free. I don't think this stands up to the Toyota quality of yesteryear, but aside from the cheap paint and flemsy body panels (about all trucks are going to have that htese days), and the squeaks and rattles, you will have a truck that should be mechancially sound - but isn't that why we bought a Toyota/Truck in the first place?

It may not be pretty, but it should get me where I need to go without complaining.

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
2007 Double cab 5.7L 4x4 with 45,000miles and not a problem so far, just normal maintenance. Although i think my rotors might be a little warped now, but keep in mind i tow a 9,000lb toy hauler quite often so the fact that they might me a little "bent outa shape" doesn't bother me a bit knowing all they go through.

I'm really happy with this truck and i still wouldn't trade it for any other half ton out there.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2007 SR5 TRD 4WD,(4.7L) 21500 miles has never been in the shop, joust completed a 2600 mile trip and averaged 16.8 mpg driving mostley 75mph, and my gas pedal did not stick one time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a new Tundra in 2007 and did so primarily because of Toyota's reputation. I do love the engine power and 6 speed transmission but other than that I do not believe it is superior to the big three. The paint stinks, the tailgate is a joke and there is bed bounce. I live in truck country where almost all familys own at least one truck. My friends and I spend alot of time off road and I can tell you the big 3 make very good trucks as well.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
eharri3 nailed it! My 2007 4x2 is almost paid off. I bought the platinum extended warranty in Dec 09' and the only time my truck has been in for work is the idle tensioner replacement last week. 45K on still rolling great. I just replaced the stock tires with the same sized Toyo Open Country 275/55/20. Did not need an alignment. Smooth, quiet, and rolls down the road just fine. I did not allow the dealer to do the accelerator mod due to the negative feedback from the members here. I know how to put it in neutral and turn off the key.

I average 18.3 mpg, the Toyota/Pioneer 6 Disc stereo sounds great, my homelink mirror is a wonder accessory, the 3 TRD mods are working well. It has a few scratches and someone backed into my rear bumper so I now have a small dent. I have replaced the wiper blades once, changed out the blue washer fluid to -20 fluid, and that is it. I would fire up this truck and drive any distance without reservation.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think the thing most of forget about our Toyota trucks from 15yrs ago is what uncomfortable shitboxes they were... A single cab 4x4 would beat you senseless on the hard crappy bench seat that invariably had a old horse blanket for a seat cover on it. But because the damn motor and trans never had an issue, we'd all overlook the fact that we could see daylight through the bed, fenders, and floorboards....

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Like has already been intimated; we talking Toy of yesteryear that supplied the masses with basic utiitarian transportation (think Hilux) or Toy of the modern era with just as many problems/maladies/recalls as anyone in the business???

I've never thought of Toyota as any better or worse than the competition because before my '01 F-250, my Fords were virtually flawless..

Always giggled at how domestics were bashed because of what CR wrote.

I LMAO when people claim the newest Tundra is somehow more tinny than past toy trucks........I've got a '95 t-100 that the hood flutters at anything over 60 MPH!!! My 250 Crew cab door skins looked like a bowl of jello when shut hard. Rode in my buddies 07 GMC the other day with its sticky door handles and the interior piece that holds the window switch/door locks falling off in my hand.

The comment on how the domestics had longer to get it right makes me bust a gut laughing........I can match known problem for problem concerning their trucks and ours. Last gen GM's snapped tie rods like tooth picks, couldn't put a tool box over the bed rails without a dealer supplied re-enforcement kit. Ford's cam phasers, leaky injectors, rear axles installed off center.....can name more but the point is there is no perfect vehicle.

Anyway, I did not buy my Tundra based on perceived reliabilty.....I thought Toy lost that advantage years ago with sludging motors, recalled ball joints, snapping steering links etc....

I bought my Tundra because in '07, nothing was even close in the 1/2 ton market concerning MY needs (except the much more expensive GMC Denali)

I actually miss my recently sold F-250, and even though it always was able to limp home it was on its 3rd transmission in 70K miles. Ironically, the same trans in our much more abused (but lighter) '04 Lightning NEVER missed a beat.

In 45,000 miles, my Tundra has had the front diff TSB done and that's it.......so far, so good but I do have the 100K Platinum just in case.

Almost forget, with summer around the corner, my dash clock will get lazy again......POS Toyotas!! :D;)

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I've had no problems with my DC 08 with 23000 miles. I think the older trucks obviously had less content and therefore less to go wrong. As the complexity of these vehicles increases so do the problems. My dads mazda pickup with a four banger power nothing and 4wd had no problems but it wasn't exactly the lap of luxury either. Based on what current vehicles can do and the ever more stringent safety requirements its no wonder there are more problems/recalls now vs then.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've had no problems with my DC 08 with 23000 miles. I think the older trucks obviously had less content and therefore less to go wrong. As the complexity of these vehicles increases so do the problems. My dads mazda pickup with a four banger power nothing and 4wd had no problems but it wasn't exactly the lap of luxury either. Based on what current vehicles can do and the ever more stringent safety requirements its no wonder there are more problems/recalls now vs then.
as the older crowd would say "my cars in the old days didnt have all this computer stuff inside it"......yeah and they were easier to fix also than the electronics of cars of these days......

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
as the older crowd would say "my cars in the old days didnt have all this computer stuff inside it"......yeah and they were easier to fix also than the electronics of cars of these days......
Might be comparing apples to oranges, but my Honda Pilot has all the newfangled bells & whistles. 40k miles and absolutely no problems, zero, nada, zilch. Nothing but routine service.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts