Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I came up to a busy stop and go intersection in my 05 tundra. I was doing 10 or 15 mph probably less because the Wisconsin roads are a little icy now. I slowed down way ahead of time barely on my brakes and the abs was buzzing away. The truck was just about totally stopped maybe 1mph if that and one car length from the intersection. There was no more ice there and all of a sudden my rpms went up to like 3k and the truck launched forward into oncoming traffic. While this was happening I was only on the brake and it pushed up almost all the way back on me. I was trying to push harder and was going to slam it in park, but it stopped and I was inches from getting hit by a semi. The rest of the trip I slowed down and stopped even further back worried it was going to happen again. I'm scared to drive it now and don't know what to do. All I can think about was the other Toyota owners that had it accelerate on hwys on them. I don't know if its the same cause as their problems or something totally different. Just thought I'd share it with you guys to see what you thought about my near death experience.

Ryan

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Floor
mat?
What, do you work for Toyota?
Maybe gremlins under the floormat.
That's so ridiculous people accept that as the cause. How could the same floormat somehow push a gas pedal down and at the same time no less push the brake pedal up with enough force to keep me from pushing it just about through the floor.

I read on another car website a similar problem where the vac pressure is increased by the abs but they use the same vac pressure to regulate the throttle hence reving up the engine while braking.
In my mind there is no reasonable reason they should even be connected. The throttle should be totally independent vac or on a cable like it used to be.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I can recall one incident with my truck where I was braking and the engine surged up really high for a second then dropped back down to normal and it wasn't compressor related. The speed control wasn't on and I was decellerating and travelling at less than 10mph when it happened.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Never had it happen before. I have felt the truck surge while at a stop when the AC compressor kicked in but nothing that moved the truck - much less required a fight from me to control. I have accidentally stepped on the accelerator while stepping on the brake and caused the engine to rev but that did not cause the brake pedal to come back up either.

Sounds pretty strange to me.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,565 Posts
That's so ridiculous people accept that as the cause. How could the same floormat somehow push a gas pedal down and at the same time no less push the brake pedal up with enough force to keep me from pushing it just about through the floor...
What, are you a shill for plaintiff's attorneys suing automakers? Maybe a bankrupt driver with bad credit looking for a payoff.

See how stupid your uncalled for accusation is?

I didn't say that it is causal to all incidents, but interfering floor mats have been implicated in unintended acceleration incidents. For those with a modicum of intelligence, it isn't hard to imagine how it happens. It slips a little over the bottom edge of the accelerator pedal and gets mashed when pressure is applied to the brake.

I have never heard of the pool of circumstances you claimed were causal to your incident and can't imagine the mechanical set that would cause it. Based on the tone of your posts, I'm assuming you're going to call an attorney??

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
I will also add that around the time my truck did it another drive by wire vehicle I operate, hyster fortis 120 lift truck, did the same thing in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's so ridiculous people accept that as the cause. How could the same floormat somehow push a gas pedal down and at the same time no less push the brake pedal up with enough force to keep me from pushing it just about through the floor.
Seriously? And I was pretty sure that most everyone has had this happen to them at some point in their lives...even if on a very small scale. Particularly, if you've ever had aftermarket "universal-type" floor mats that are not a custom fit.

:beatsme:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What, are you a shill for plaintiff's attorneys suing automakers? Maybe a bankrupt driver with bad credit looking for a payoff.

I didn't say that it is causal to all incidents, but interfering floor mats have been implicated in unintended acceleration incidents. For those with a modicum of intelligence, it isn't hard to imagine how it happens. It slips a little over the bottom edge of the accelerator pedal and gets mashed when pressure is applied to the brake.

I have never heard of the pool of circumstances you claimed were causal to your incident and can't imagine the mechanical set that would cause it. Based on the tone of your posts, I'm assuming you're going to call an attorney??
I'm sorry for the acusation, it just sounded that way.
I'm not looking for any monetary return.
I have owned nothing but Toyota vehicles my entire life and never had any real problems with a single one. I was just scared for my life and my family that rides with me sometimes.
I'm also disappointed in Toyota for allowing this problem to happen to so many of their vehicles.
I didn't think the tundra had those problems till it happened to me and even then I was hoping it was uncommon and would be a one time occurance. I posted on here just to see if I could get more info and input on what happened and nothing more.

I have oversized large heavy rubber floormats that don't move anywhere. I could see how the gas could get pushed down with brake pressure but there is no way a floor mat could push the brake UP from where I was holding it during the braking. It came all the way up and couldn't move it back down even the little bit with all the force I could give it. That's the part I don't understand.

I am going to drive it as little as possible from here on out and trade it in for a 2010 f150 when I have enough saved up for it. I have 800+ credit, house is paid off and don't plan on taking out another loan now. Everything I have was earned by hard work, not shady practices like suing to get ahead in life. I don't really feel safe having anybody else driving the truck to tell you the truth. I don't want the next owner getting hurt to be on my conscience but I can't afford to not sell it when its like brand new with 19k miles on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I'm sorry for the acusation, it just sounded that way.
I'm not looking for any monetary return.
I have owned nothing but Toyota vehicles my entire life and never had any real problems with a single one. I was just scared for my life and my family that rides with me sometimes.
I'm also disappointed in Toyota for allowing this problem to happen to so many of their vehicles.
I didn't think the tundra had those problems till it happened to me and even then I was hoping it was uncommon and would be a one time occurance. I posted on here just to see if I could get more info and input on what happened and nothing more.

I have oversized large heavy rubber floormats that don't move anywhere. I could see how the gas could get pushed down with brake pressure but there is no way a floor mat could push the brake UP from where I was holding it during the braking. It came all the way up and couldn't move it back down even the little bit with all the force I could give it. That's the part I don't understand.

I am going to drive it as little as possible from here on out and trade it in for a 2010 f150 when I have enough saved up for it. I have 800+ credit, house is paid off and don't plan on taking out another loan now. Everything I have was earned by hard work, not shady practices like suing to get ahead in life. I don't really feel safe having anybody else driving the truck to tell you the truth. I don't want the next owner getting hurt to be on my conscience but I can't afford to not sell it when its like brand new with 19k miles on it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry to hear about the truck. But why not have a dealer inspect it? Maybe it's a simple, or at least known, fix. If you simply trade it in without even having it looked at, you're passing off a truck that, by your own admission, you are scared to drive for the sake of your life and your family's life, to someone else without a warning. And all you did was report on an internet forum. At least mention it to the manager of whatever dealer you trade the truck to. And remember, Toyota can read the truck computer data that the dealer cannot...it's extra work but they should be able to tell you what the computer was seeing. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The whole thing with Toyota being only the one to read the computer and not even dealers seems pretty darn shady to me. They shouldn't be doing that if they didn't have anything to hide. Good point on atleast giving the dealer a shot. Hopefully they don't throw out all my receipts and notes from everything I've done to the truck since new so the next owner can see them. I will be listing this occurance in the notebook. Either way tho I'm not risking my family over a damn truck. As soon as I can get a different one I will.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It sounds a lot like an ABS issue to me. My dad had a Chevy Astro that started lurching forward occasionally. It happened in parking lots, intersections, etc. I can't recall if the RPMs went up (no tach), but you could hear ABS kicking in every time. It turned out that critters had lunch on some ABS-related wiring, and the ABS thought that the van was always trying to stop from 100+mph (at least, according to the mechanic). The ABS warning light never turned on though. The ABS moan was the only indication that it was a problem with the ABS.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Good idea not to keep it...........for safety reasons that is. Since it's totally unsafe to drive I will be more than happy to take it off your hands. I would even be willing to give you 50 bucks for it. Dont worry about taking it to the dealer just sell it to me and then everybody wins.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.