Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High all. I just purchased a 05 Access Cab Tundra. I traded my tacoma in that had the TRD package to include the Rear Locking Diff. I'm trying to figure out if the Tundras come with a LSD standard on all 4x4 models or is it an option. The manual talks of a auto LSD button (which is not on my truck). Some of the trails i like to take here in Southern AZ required my locker in the Tacoma. I like to Off Road but would hate to not be able to take some of my trails anymore :( . Can anyone help? And if The truck doesn't have a LSD, anyone know of a inexpensive locker thats easy to install?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
It's an Option. In a way it's kind of better you didn't, IMO. Check out the Powertrax no-slip or the lock right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did some more researching and as far as I can tell Toyota only gives a locker on Tacomas with the off road package? :confused: And the Tundra's off road package does not include a locker? Am I understanding this right? Why only lock the smaller of the trucks they offer?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
insaneaudio said:
I did some more researching and as far as I can tell Toyota only gives a locker on Tacomas with the off road package? :confused: And the Tundra's off road package does not include a locker? Am I understanding this right? Why only lock the smaller of the trucks they offer?
No e-locker for the tundra. My guess why Toyota didn't offer it is because the cost factor to either modify/manufacturer the wider axle housing the tundra uses. Or the other option is it isn't strong enough for the capacity the tundra has.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
My '03 2wd with TRD has a full-time LSD. Not a true locker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
insaneaudio said:
High all. I just purchased a 05 Access Cab Tundra. I traded my tacoma in that had the TRD package to include the Rear Locking Diff. I'm trying to figure out if the Tundras come with a LSD standard on all 4x4 models or is it an option. The manual talks of a auto LSD button (which is not on my truck). Some of the trails i like to take here in Southern AZ required my locker in the Tacoma. I like to Off Road but would hate to not be able to take some of my trails anymore :( . Can anyone help? And if The truck doesn't have a LSD, anyone know of a inexpensive locker thats easy to install?
My 05 DC 4X4 V8 has LSD but no button either. Does that means mine is full time LSD?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tundragod said:
My 05 DC 4X4 V8 has LSD but no button either. Does that means mine is full time LSD?
The stock rear axle on an '05 Tundra is a standard open differential.

There are two options on '05 Tundras:

1.) a mechanical, clutch-type limited slip differential that replaces the open differential. This unit is not driver-controlled, it apportions torque to the wheel that is spinning based on difference in speed between the left & right sides. It is not a true locker - it will not provide 100% torque transfer.

2.) an electronic traction control system that uses the ABS and rear brakes to transfer torque. The standard open carrier stays in the truck, braking force is applied to the spinning wheel to force power to the wheel with traction. It is my understanding that this system is always on as well, but the button increases the aggressiveness and/or sensitivity of the system. This is what the button controls. There are a number of threads on this system.

There are pro's and con's to each system. The upside to the electronic systems is that it is part of the traction control & doesn't have parts to wear out (except the brakes). In very soft situations, however, where wheelspin is sometimes needed to maintain forward progress it will actually apply the brakes to the point the trucks stops and/or the brakes overheat. I prefer the mechanical LSD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts