Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Tundra: Muffler size?

15K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  adammilne 
#1 ·
First of all, I would like to thank everybody for making this such a valuble site to visit. I have already learned quite a bit about my truck just from perusing alot of the past posts. Up till now I have not had a reason to post because almost everything I needed or wanted to know has already been posted, but I finally have one question. I want to buy a Flowmaster 40 for my Tundra, but leave the rest of the factory exhaust alone, what size in/out do I need to buy for it to fit with the least amount of modification? Thanks again for all your help! :ts:

DOH! I just realized I posted this in the Tacoma section, can a mod please move to the Tundra section. Sorry...

#2 ·
2.5"

u can (or have somebody else) weld a 2.5" inlet/outlet muffler to your stock piping. this will be the easiest, least expensive method and you wont lose and low end torque either. i would suggest a magnaflow. hope this helps :tu:

Reactions: sg1efc
#3 ·
healey858 said:
u can (or have somebody else) weld a 2.5" inlet/outlet muffler to your stock piping. this will be the easiest, least expensive method and you wont lose and low end torque either. i would suggest a magnaflow. hope this helps :tu:
What he said!

#5 ·
Shant714 said:
how bout a flowmaster 30 series on a tacoma 4cyl... what size in and out? or should i just avoid the 30 series and go with the spintech?
Like the others said get a muffler with 2.5" inlet and outlet. Just make sure you have it welded and not clamped.

I think the 30 series would be all right. The popular muffler over at tacomaterritory is the 50 series for the 2.7 L. It's all a matter of personal preference and I havn't heard anything but the 50 series on a 4 cylinder. I thought it was a little loud in the cab but it sounded good, deep and kinda gurgly.

The 30 series is supposed to be a little quieter than the 50 or 40 right? If it were me and I wanted a flowmaster I would probably go for the 60 series but that's just me cause i'm really not into a super loud exhaust.

Where you turn down the exhaust will also make a difference in how loud the exhaust is, mostly inside the cab. If you end and turn down the exhaust right after the muffler it will be a little louder inside because the sound is bouncing off the ground and back up to the floor of the truck. If you run the exhaust out the back like stock the sound will just dissapate into air. Still sounding the same outside but quiter inside because the sound waves are not being adsorbed by the floor of your cab.

I'll try to get a sound byte of my spintech sportsman XL. It'll be on a v-6 but should give you some idea of what they sound like.

#6 ·
chuff said:
Like the others said get a muffler with 2.5" inlet and outlet. Just make sure you have it welded and not clamped.

I think the 30 series would be all right. The popular muffler over at tacomaterritory is the 50 series for the 2.7 L. It's all a matter of personal preference and I havn't heard anything but the 50 series on a 4 cylinder. I thought it was a little loud in the cab but it sounded good, deep and kinda gurgly.

The 30 series is supposed to be a little quieter than the 50 or 40 right? If it were me and I wanted a flowmaster I would probably go for the 60 series but that's just me cause i'm really not into a super loud exhaust.

Where you turn down the exhaust will also make a difference in how loud the exhaust is, mostly inside the cab. If you end and turn down the exhaust right after the muffler it will be a little louder inside because the sound is bouncing off the ground and back up to the floor of the truck. If you run the exhaust out the back like stock the sound will just dissapate into air. Still sounding the same outside but quiter inside because the sound waves are not being adsorbed by the floor of your cab.

I'll try to get a sound byte of my spintech sportsman XL. It'll be on a v-6 but should give you some idea of what they sound like.
The 30 series is louder than the 60, 50, or 40... and I would really appreciate a soundbite of the spintech.

#7 ·
Gents.... I just picked up a used Tundra Crewmax (2011) and it has a aftermarket exhaust system on it. Dual Magnaflow mufflers and chrome tips behind the rear wheels. I am not a fan of noisy mufflers especially with the slide down rear window. So I'd like to swap out these things for the standard quieter design. The mileage is 13K so the system is practically brand new. Magnaflow doesn't sell except thru dealers, but I'd be happy to give these things away for a pittance. Probably cost me $300 to restore the quieter design. Do you think there will be anyone who wants this system or should I just junk the whole thing? Seems a bit sad to junk it since it's a practially brand-new system. Thanks much!

#8 ·
Cut them off and post them to the Tundra classifieds....and ebay. Someone will jump on them for the right price. I would've bought one of them, but I already replaced my muffler. Any clue what type of Magnaflows you have? Magnaflow sells a 5"x8"x22" muffler that wouldn't be very loud at all but would give you a deep aggressive sound when you get on it. You could go back to a single muffler setup as well.

#9 ·
Sorry late out of the gate...I'm old now ok?
I had a single 2.5 Flowmaster Super 44 on my 07 4Runner, resonator delete, out the side behind passenger rear wheel and oh' what a beautiful sound these V8's have. The farther back mufflers are placed the quieter the cab is, easy enough? Also' more sound goes out back with less exit pipe.

Missed the old lopey cam at idle from my old school rides for sure, but' unlike those my 4Runner was super quiet enough at idle to order grub at any drive through window very easily. Oh' but rev or stomp on these little Toy V8's and they can sound so sweet when they come to life with the Super 44.
I must do my Tundra with another Super 40 setup asap. Quiet exhausts will only get me a ticket no doubt about it, I'll speed without noticing it besides the fact they keep more heat backed up into an engine. There's a lot of heat in that sound, much more heat inside when they are stifled. Heat sucks inside any engine!!

Sound bites are not mine I stole off youtube..lol
Below is a couple Toyota V8's with a Super 44 setup. 4Runners are a bit louder as it's exhaust is shorter "But" if money's no object or your friend is in the right place/time there is surely room under a Tundra to put a bit larger diameter exhaust to break more wind (air), heat & sound & run it out the back to kill drone.
Bad resonating drone on any long drive just sucks for people inside, even more than quiet mufflers says a man who grew up on big block sound, mufflers on headers, screw the tail pipes, didn't know they made them?...lol Maybe we do get old idk?

If you can't carry a conversation inside a cabin without yelling though, it's just too loud to be in one long and my 4Runner single super 44 did not have cabin drone hardly at all simply cruising unless my stock radio was off and people actually listened for it one notices it. These are just loud when getting on it or a camera is snooping up it's arse like clips.
I only ran "true" duals one time and not for long either as I quickly learned it only lowers low end torque (take off speed), and fuel milage drastically. You gain top end, lose low end so fair warning "Leave it on" sounds not even worth the big loss!!! An X pipe in the middle is best flowing if there is room & $$$.
Enjoy it or hate it idc this is a couple 44 setups, the only Big deep V8 sound with a little V8 engine. Big blocks are all I ever drove for decades so I know the sound very very well. Never so old I'd leave it stock so peddle down, ftw never go peacefully, always do it deep !!

Toy V8..

Mopar V8...Sorry, he speaks volumes here...Except: Muffler age makes no diff except glass packs lose packing, get louder. 44's are welded plates inside they can't change.

Tundra at heart!! Best way to run it, tucked up on their side but with crossover pipe and largest diameter pipes that fit, beware of spare?

Terrible mic idk? Flowmaster does no justice here imho. They sound much better in person and headers never sound deep like OEM cast exhaust manifold, they never have but perform/flow so much better. Again, I apologise chosen car for info, many loud & proud 44 Toyota's on youtube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.