Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced excessive oil use in the 2005 I-Force V8? My truck has used oil consistently since before the first oil change. I know what the book says. I want to know your actual experience.

·
Registered
271 Posts
How many miles do you have on the truck so we can give you a better idea of whether or not you should be burning oil

Ryan

·
Registered
910 Posts
No oil consumption.

The manual says some is to be expected. If you're going through more than 1 qt per 5,000 miles, I'd say there's a problem.

·
Registered
131 Posts
7 qts??????? How is that working for you? I stick with the manual and add 6.5 qts with oil filter. Besides the factory oil, the only thing that goes in my truck is Mobil 1 synthetic and it doesn't use a drop between oil changes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I changed my oil and filter at 1000 miles. Used conventional 5-30 oil and toyota filter. After 1800 miles I used a little over 1/2 a quart. The truck has 2800 miles. Should I be concerned or is this normal break-in? I plan to go to synthetic at 5K.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
7 qts??????? How is that working for you? I stick with the manual and add 6.5 qts with oil filter. Besides the factory oil, the only thing that goes in my truck is Mobil 1 synthetic and it doesn't use a drop between oil changes.
i also use the Mobil 5W30 & M102 filter and to take my truck to fill mark it takes 7 complete quarts and has done so on every oil change i have done and i change it in same place which is level and i have checked it afterwards in other locations and it is just to fill mark!! I called Toy Socal and asked them what the marks on the 06 D/C were for and was told they represent 1.5 Qts, the area between the 2 dots!! i have seen all kinda small errors in manuals on quantitys and not just on the tundra!! my 93 PU has errors also, nothing big just when ya drain and refill it seems the numbers are off a tad as in Differentials, transfer cases and yes even engine oil!!

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
how are you guys measuring oil use? dipstick marks?

i noticed when i do a change, it takes 6 qts to bring it to midway on the dipstick. i just stop there so don't have to muck around with half quarts. when i drain next time, i can never fill a 5 qt mobil 1 jug. it actually looks more like 4 qts or so in there. i figure maybe half a quart hold up in the old oil filter. that means 1 to 1.5 quarts missing somewhere. never a leak, never any obvious smells or smoke from tailpipe.

this is pretty consistent from change to change. also, never noticed it to be low on the dipstick, either when i check it in between. what gives?

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
My 02 doesn't burn a drop. I fill it to the full mark... takes between 6.5 & 7 qts, and whenever I check it before changing oil, it's at the full mark.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My 02 v8 with 117,000 miles is still right at the full line after 3000 miles when I change the oil.
Our 05 v8 does use a little bit. It definately doesn't go from the full to the low line on the dipstick though...

·
Registered
161 Posts
This oil question is a good topic. At least now i am not so confused when i read my dipstick. When i change my oil i have been putting in roughly 6 3/4 quarts. I should mention that i have been using a TRD oil filter since i bought the truck and it is consideribly larger than a stock oil filter. But.. 6 3/4 quarts does not fill it all the was to the top dot. I know what the book says as well. we all know 6.5 quarts!! But like others on this post i agree these engines take more. i imagine 7 quarts or maybe a little more would fill mine up to the right level. I put the same amount of oil in at every change and leave it a little low becuase of what the book says, im affraid to put more in. I did that once by accident in my 90 S-10 blazer and i had a James bond smoke screen going on and it ran terrible. OOPS just my input...

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
On my last oil change I used right at 1qt over 4k of highway driving so I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
195 Posts
say kids, just a few thoughts here, and no, nothing I want to duel over either...

is dilution not a fact of life, even in a tight motor?

so let's on a 5k OCI , one stays right near topped off.

Arnt we still talking a 1/2 quart or so of fuel, water in the brew?(Whatever the by-products may be)
Perhaps a bit more,even, depending on the season and driving style ?

So later, like now in the east, it is warmer and guy gets in and does a full tank trip to grandma's, on the interstate, running 65 to 90mph, punching it now and then for fun and because thats how we stay awake on the road.

Our chap will see his dipstick reading fall b/t 1/2 and 1qt , not so much burning oil as vaporizing impurities.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2000 V8 with 100k doesnt use a drop. Valvoline 5w-30 7 quarts at change each 3K with carquest premuim filter. I think some of the confusion with how much to add is this. How long do you let yours drain, is the oil hot, and what type of filter you buy changes how much it holds. I let mine drain at least 10 minutes, fill to line (6qts), start truck and check for leaks for about 2 minutes, then shut off, sit for 5 minutes and add another quart to get to fill line.
By the way take that truck to the dealer, even if they dont do something about it, get it documented on paper at Toyota.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
On my last oil change I used right at 1qt over 4k of highway driving so I'm satisfied.
I am perplexed why a new truck would use a full Qt of oil in 1 oil change cycle and that not be an issue? how long are your oil cycles as if that should matter? If the truck was 12 to 14 years old with 250K on it i would not see that 1 qt during an oil cycle would be an issue but you are talking about your 2006? v6?v8? you have a problem if a new truck is using that much oil in 3K to 5K miles!!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts