Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do? 2010 crew max sr5 for $29,000 or 2010 Tacoma double cab 2WD w/ sport for $27,000.
I don't tow or anything but like the room in Tundra. Like the Tacoma because I can fit it in garage.
Wife says she may have trouble driving bigger rig. Anyone have advise/

THANKS!:ts:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
tundra!:tu:
better value:tu:. - more truck for your money:thumb:
mine sits outside:rolleyes:, - more room in the garage for junk:crazy:.
wife does not want to drive it:happy:, - so it is all mine:tu::crazy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
For me, it was a no brainer. Taco prices were within 2k of the Tundra. More room (interior + exterior), more capacity, and erm... the 5.7L. I felt it was worth the 2k price difference.

Also, the Tundra has got to be the most easy to navigate full-sized truck I have driven. I did not try out the Tacomas, because, I was hooked on the 5.7, but cripes, that turning radius is SWEET on a full-sized truck. Erm, don't tell the wife about that, just put the foot down, "Honey, I'VE decided that the Tundra is the better value."
5.7 man.... puts that taco to shame...

·
Registered
231 Posts
My wife didn't like mine until she stepped on the pedal and varoooommm. Bigger is better.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
09 Crewmax 4x4 SR5, black.

Came from an 04 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 that cost 4K less brand new than my Crewmax. Got the same mileage driving the Dakota gently as I do beating up on that 5.7 in my crewmax. Twice as much space in the crewmax. The distance is now harder to judge when parallel parking but when maneuvering in tight parking lots I actually have to readjust and saw the wheel back and fourth fewer times in the taller, longer, wider Tundra than I did in the Dakota. On the highway the Dakota was OK, the Tundra feels solid as a rock, buttoned down on the road, and quiet as a whisper inside. Effortless grunt is there whenever I want it regardless of vehcile speed or rpm and if you're not looking at the speedo you can't tell the difference between 60 and 85. People in front can recline and spread out with ease while people in the rear are doing the exact same thing. In case you didn't know the rear bench in the crewmax slides back and fourth AND reclines.

It's the perfect situation: She mostly wants to romp on it on the open road when I am tired and want her to take over so I can rest anyway, or else takes the wheel when I'm drunk god bless her soul. Other than that she's content to enjoy the ride from the passenger seat. And after experiencing the solid ride, space, and awesome power she enjoys sititng shotgun in the Crewmax more than she probably would in any smaller truck. She was quick to point out how much better the power is and how much better it generally feels going down the road than a smaller, cheaper truck.

Now that I got what I got and realize there would have been no huge financial penalty for going big in the first place 5 years ago, I am kicking myself for not spending the extra couple thousand bucks first time around. Life is short. You wouldn't even be debating unless it were a question of whether you want to settle for less than what you really want. 5 years from now I can guarantee you won't remember the 2 grand when you see how much happier the Tundra makes you. But if you are not totally happy with the choice of vehicle it is a feeling that stays until you trade it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I traded my 06 Tacoma in on the Tundra and couldn't be happier. The MPG's aren't as big of a difference as you might think to.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Look over on the Tacoma forum and you'll find their perspective:

"If you had it to over again, would you still buy a Tacoma?"

In summary, most said NO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
:laughing:I used to have an 07 TRD Sport Access Cab in indigo ink pearl. 6 spd manual. All kinds of time and money dumped into it. Fiance complained every time we went somewhere because we have a two year old and she had to ride in the back. (Had a speaker box which prevented the seat to fold for carseat) I loved that truck. BUT, getting out of that and test driving the tundra there is honestly no comparison. I now have an 07 SR5 Doublecab tundra with the 5.7. The only drawback to trading off was the money I lost on my old truck with the accessories etc, and the gas mileage is a little worse, but a price I am willing to pay to drive it. I love my truck, wouldnt look at any of the broke... I mean big 3. Go for the tundra.

Test drive them both and see for yourself!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have an 08 Tundra SR5 4x4 RCSB (5.7),,, My lady has a 08 Tacoma (v6) SR5 DC Pre-runner. I'm a Toyota fan from way back (mid 80's) and have loved every one I've owned. She got her Tacoma almost a year before I got my Tundra. I thought her truck was really great (and it is),,,, then I got my Tundy.:whoo:

She couldn't be happier with her Taco and she prefers her truck to mine. She thinks the Taco is much easier to drive around town etc. I prefer the bigger truck and it seems to zip around town just fine for me,,, but I'm coming from a Quad Cab cummins,,, so the Tundra was a step down in size. (length) She has a very mild lift on hers with 31x10.5's, and seems to get 19-20 MPG no matter what she does??? Back and forth to work, 19-20,,, road trip to the mountains, 19-20,, road trip across the state at 75mph,,, 19-20,,, kinda strange. I've got a little more llift with 35" MT's and get 13ish in town, 15-16 on road trips.

For me,,, no contest. I'd go with the Tundra and be willing to pay much more than a $2k difference to do it.

She wouldn't get rid of here Tacoma for anything.

So,,, I guess you have to ask yourself,,,, are you a man,,, or are you a woman??? :blushed: :DJK

I'd drive them both and let your first impression tell you what to get. Chances are if you can afford the $2k now,,, you won't regret it in a year.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I actually had a '10 Tacoma ordered and was awaiting delivery when I decided to purchase my Tundra. I originally wanted a Tundra but talked myself out of it because of size, mileage, etc. My wife has a 4Runner and I love that platform so I was thinking the Taco would be a reasonable choice. Then one day a new '09 Tundra arrived at the local dealer with the exact package I originally wanted: 5.7, DC, TRD Package. I decided to go over there and take a quick look and a test drive. Needless to say, I was absolutely hooked on the Tundra after that day. I cancelled my order for the '10 Tacoma and ended up with a Tundra in my garage for about $2k less! Granted, the Taco I had on order was fully optioned out (with 4x4) but I truly don't regret my decision one bit. The gas mileage really isn't that much worse than my wife's 4.0L 4Runner and my engine isn't even broken in yet. Put the hammer down on a 5.7L Tundra and you'll become a believer too!

-Wes

·
Registered
71 Posts
What would you do? 2010 crew max sr5 for $29,000 or 2010 Tacoma double cab 2WD w/ sport for $27,000.
I don't tow or anything but like the room in Tundra. Like the Tacoma because I can fit it in garage.
Wife says she may have trouble driving bigger rig. Anyone have advise/

THANKS!:ts:
The only reason I would get a Taco over the Tundra is the fact its a better off-road rig. however there is no compairison when it comes to featurs and power of the tundra. I would go Tundra buddy. and make sure its a 4x4, you never know when you might need it. even if you dont off-road at all its great in bad weather too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tundra hands down. I've driven my friends Tacoma, and although I love the way it looks, the Tundra looks even meaner and drives even better. And for $2k more, I don't see why it's even a question (assuming you can afford that $2k more).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well I really don't see any sort of contest, they are pretty different vehicles, myself I would not even consider a Taco, my truck rides as good as my last car, I put a rear camera in the tailgate handle and solved any parking parallel problems, get the Tundra, I mean that Tundra in the backseat of a Crew Max is gonna seem limo like compared to a taco, perhaps take her for a test drive and make her sit in the back seat of each one while driving it, she might say wow this would be great for trips, I mean buddy whatever you gotta do to get the Tundra, lie, cheat, steal, or whatever you need to do to make up her mind for her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's how I made up my mind.....

I sat in both. That was it. After test driving the Tundra I got in & sat in the Tacoma. That's all it took. I said nope, no way. It was like getting off a chopper & hopping on a mini-bike

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

... ^^^ mendonsy said it well ...

From my experiences .... I have had both and the Tundra is a lot more truck for the money. Last spring I downsized from a 2007 5.7l RCLB Tundra to a 2009 DCSB Tacoma.

I did it primarily to get a smaller truck and I did not need the long bed.

I love the Tacomas size and the few extra MPGs. ... :D

However, I do miss the power of that 5.7l. If only they would put a 300 HP 4.6l or a 4.7l V-8 in the Taco. ... :D

SOS

·
Registered
6 Posts
neither buy a honda. I am on my 5th toyota truck and wishing I had stopped at 4. The 2008 Tundra is a POS!.

1. Windshield fire from a crack, Toyota says its not their fault.

2. Radio has been on the fritz for 6+ months, finally got it to do it when I could get by a dealer and now they say it will be 6-8 weeks as there is a rush on them. Toyota wouldn't take my word or a video that there was an issue.

3. Fuel economy when towing is worse than the 4.7L V8. I bought the new truck with the 5.7 figuring I would get at least 10mpg towing, I'm luck to get 7.

If you are going to tow anything of decent size buy a used american vehicle and save your money. If you are just looking for a truck buy the Honda. Toyota has obviously outgrown their britches and can't control the quality like they used to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts