Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that with the title of this thread some of you were expecting an f-ing newbie to be asking you what type of truck he should be getting. I am sorry to disappoint if this is the case! I never could understand why anyone would wonder... It really doesn’t seem like that would be very difficult to figure out for yourself.

This thread has nothing to do with which truck I should buy; in fact it’s more about the project that I have decided to take on. Curious???

I have been interested in offroading for several years now. Starting out with a Grand Cherokee on 35's and upgraded rear axle housing out of a ford exploder I quickly realized that I was more interested in the more difficult trails that my DD and my bank account at the time just couldn’t handle. Latter I decided that it would be easier to upgrade a wrangler to my liking taking the unibody out of the picture and building a beast that would handle the torture that I couldn’t wait to put it through. Soon I was the proud owner of an 89 wrangler with upgraded rear axle, same as the Cherokee that I parted ways with, and sitting on 37's. I took the wrangler out and wheeled the hell out of it one time just before I put the frame on jack stands and stripped the whole suspension brackets and all.

This is what I ended up with...
yj.JPG
Front: Ford Dana 60 on 40's with full hydraulic high steering 5:38 gears with ARB locker
Rear: Chevy 14 bolt with disc brake conversion, spooled with 5:38's
Suspension: Cage Off road radius arms with 2.5 Fox nitrogen air shocks

Although I am very happy with this build it quickly became a vehicle that I started to lose interest in. While having friends that compete in the XRRA (Extreme Rock Racing Association) and attending the events I had decided that my ambition is focused on building a capable rig built for competition.

And so the beginning... I found a guy to build me a tube frame chassis to my liking...
Image039.jpg

While building the chassis I was on the prowl for a strong and fast motor. A motor that would aid in becoming a strong competitor in the rock racing events. I stumbled upon a 2007 Tundra 4.7L 2uzfe with 15,000 miles for 650.00. While pondering on buying a 5.0L vortec for 1,000 the decision was easily made.

PROS: Strong motor, decent amount of HP, Low mileage, low price
CONS: No wiring harness, No computer, 2 wheel drive tranny already purchased

After purchasing the 4.7L with the VVTi (which is a great feature that I would never need) I found that in order to make this engine work I was going to get nickel and dimed to death in order to find the parts needed for the engine and the rest of the drive train to work. So the solution was found at this little salvage yard in Ogden, UT that specializes in yotas. Josh (the owner) gave me an offer that I just couldn’t refuse. He would take my 2007 motor in trade for complete 2003 wrecked tundra with complete 4x4 drive train. He would start the engine prior to the trade and guarantee the engine mechanically. Needless to say I took his offer and the wrecked tundra home to start my project.

This is what I have so far...
000_0045.jpg
000_0051.jpg
Notice the Atlas? It was originally going to go into the Jeep. One call to Advanced Adapters and bingo I now have an atlas included in my Toyota drive train!!!

So what do you all think??? Should the Grill, hood, and fenders be a tundra or a Tacoma?

I edited a photo of a 97 Tacoma grill...
1997 Tacoma.jpg

And this is what I came up with after editing...
my grill.JPG

I think it looks cool... Maybe use a scion emblem or the original Tacoma one... What are your thoughts? Is it a Tundra or Tacoma Rock buggy???

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well, I am a bit bias, but I say Tundra!

Reason being, it has the heart of a Tundra. Also, there a lots, and lots of tacoma trail rigs and buggys, but not many Tundras. I think that may set it apart just that little bit more and have those heads turning back to ask you some questions!

By the way, it is looking great so far!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input!

I agree it would be cool to do somthing original... maybe I will try somthing with the tundra grill that I have
I do like the narrowed nose look. If I could narrow this grill and cut the hood it may look alright...

·
No Really, I swear, I'm Done..
3,091 Posts
I agree with Moose, go Tundra. Tacos are all over the trails and it has a Tundra heart.

Plus even if you can't cut that 03 grille down make it the whole front end of the truck. You can trim the hood down and roll the edges to fit that grille. The lights will be in front of the grille. That would be a very different and cool look.

Good luck and nice rig!!!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the enthusiasm guys!!! btw your right tundra heart tundra buggy!!!

Well that takes care of that! I just finished my motor and tranny mounts and will be stripping the heep of the one tons and stuffing them under my chassis hopefully a rolling chassis by this weekend!!! :rockon:

I should have some pics coming soon of thoes mounts!!! Maybe one or some of you may be able to shed some light on some engine mods for my 4.7. I heard that the rods as well as some other componets mas be weak. What are your suggestions for increasing power? Chip? Super Charger? Turbo Charger?
Your advise is well appreaciated!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for the enthusiasm guys!!! btw your right tundra heart tundra buggy!!!

Well that takes care of that! I just finished my motor and tranny mounts and will be stripping the heep of the one tons and stuffing them under my chassis hopefully a rolling chassis by this weekend!!! :rockon:

I should have some pics coming soon of thoes mounts!!! Maybe one or some of you may be able to shed some light on some engine mods for my 4.7. I heard that the rods as well as some other componets mas be weak. What are your suggestions for increasing power? Chip? Super Charger? Turbo Charger?
Your advise is well appreaciated!!!
I would personally bullet proof the internals of the engine first. That in itself will give you more power, plus allow you to mod the engine (SC, Turbo etc) without much worries of nuking the engine. Plus if you decide to add the SC having a built internal motor will allow you to crank up the boost;)

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
That was a curveball! Didn't expect to see this from the title. Much respect to you for doing this. I agree with Ironman02, if you plan on boosting in any way build up the internals as an insurance. It would be less headache to do now than later. Can't wait to see more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts