Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I tried searching but didn't have any luck. I was reading through my owner's manual for my 2000 Tundra and it said that when climbing hills to not push the gear selector to turn the overdrive off and hold it there for long periods of time. Why would this be? Sometimes I would like to turn the overdrive off so it won't try to shift back-and-forth, especially if there is a brief flat spot and then the hill gets steep again. Does the tranny turning at high(er) rpm in drive create more heat that could overheat it? I would think it would be harder on the tranny to be shifting between drive and overdrive several times during a climb (we have a climb that's several miles long on I-70 going west out of Denver, for example)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
i would recommend leaving OD off on the hills to keep the tranny from up/down shifting. i drove my brother in laws tundra before i had mine and it would go in and out of OD, causing the AT Temp lite to come on. stopped for about 20 mins and resumed with OD off and the lite never came on. couple months later he added an ATF cooler. not sure if i caused it... :)

·
Professional Driver
501 Posts
I leave mine off around town and only turn it on above about 40-45mph depending on the terrain. I agree that it cant be good for the tranny to be wandering between gears, and I dont know why the manual would say that. Not much help, but you are not alone.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Same here! I need to know if towing my 3k lb boat w/ OD off can damage my transmission, or should i just leave it on all the time even when towing?

I really want the rmps a little higher especially because of the steep hills in SoCal....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i guess the only reason to NOT turn off the overdrive would be overheating the tranny, so if i get a tranny temp. gauge i shouldn't have to worry about anything. Anybody ever have those A pillar gauge pods installed? Where can you get it done? I'm thinking maybe either just the tranny temp., or maybe get a 3-gauge pod with oil pressure and engine temperature added as well...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts