Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just took the Tundra to get inspected. It failed due to the parking brake. She said the guy could put the brake on and it would still roll in drive. How can i tighten this bad boy or is this a dealer type situation?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
used to u could adjust them by putting the brakes on backing up but that was way back in drum brake days...i dunno....but at least ur inspection place checked it...the inspection guys i have been going to for years barely check anything....they pull it in hook up OBD plug and if no codes they slap a a sticker on it....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
humm, i will see if i can find any more info.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This is not an uncommon complaint and we had the dealership adjust it when we took it in for another service. I am sure someone can chime in on DIY.
cheers.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Did you tell the guy that maybe 401 lb ft of torque at such a low RPM will pull the truck regardless of the parking brake?

-rockstate

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was the first thing i said to my wife when she called me. I was like its gots GOBBS of torque, of course the e brake isn't going to hold it back. It does fine in my drive way in neutral with the parking brake on so i don't know.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I searched for everything but that phrase....go figure lol

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
The adjuster is under the driver's door sill, if you can't locate it, you'll want to download the PDF's in the thread I linked...there are more than complete directions in those PDF's.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Oh, and when I say "under the driver's door sill" I mean actually under the truck, not under the sill plastic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda figured. I will take a look at it when i get home, and get some pictures posted up for future reference

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Oh, and when I say "under the driver's door sill" I mean actually under the truck, not under the sill plastic.
dammit...now i got to put back all this plastic trim.........

:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
used to u could adjust them by putting the brakes on backing up but that was way back in drum brake days...i dunno....but at least ur inspection place checked it...the inspection guys i have been going to for years barely check anything....they pull it in hook up OBD plug and if no codes they slap a a sticker on it....
a lot of drums are still that way.

As for just slapping a sticker on, not for me, I failed a kid on his headlight, I knew it was one of those cheap fake HID lights, pulled it out and sure enough nowhere on the bulb did it say DOT so out comes the sharpie and mark the inside of the current sticker wit an X.

There's a ton of vehicles down here that shouldn't be allowed on the road.

As for the original topic yeah it's pretty easy to adjust.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, i got home and jumped in the truck. With the truck in neutral, parking brake on, it holds in my drive way. its a decent incline. I am happy with it. i will take it else where to get inspected

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
To pass in NY it has to go in gear under light exceleration. There are star adj. to adj. side to side shoe movement and a cable adjustment for peddle travel.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine would not hold the truck in nutral from the factory, of course mine was also way out of front end alighnment from the factory as well so go figure

1 - 17 of 17 Posts