Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I own a slate metallic limited 4x4 dc with carved factory 20's and stock tires. For the life of me, I can't get my tires to spin on dry pavement. I shut off all the traction nannies by holding the button for 3 seconds that shuts down traction control and all other systems but it still won't spin the tires. I'm not condoning this behavior, but I kept reading about how hard it was to keep the rear tires on this thing, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm sure I could get them to break free by powerbraking, but I don't want to do that.

I'm quite impressed with the acceleration of the truck, but just wondering if anyone else has noticed what i've noticed.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I ran mine the other day and it spins for a sec then locks and runs. I almost soiled myself when it shot out. I have owned some heavily modded stangs that would slap vettes and this thing has some power.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Im not sure what your doing wrong? but theres enough power there to white smoke the crap outta ALL FOUR.
I can easily lay 80' duals while up shifting to 3rd from a standing stop. :D It will take most abit of practice to master the Sq. shift option,but once you got it this platform is a blast to launch :eek: The stock rubber isnt near the tire this truck should have been optioned with :td:

·
Registered
55 Posts
my dc 2wd 5.7 will spin as long as i want, no power braking, but i have the off road package with those silly rugged trail t/a's

·
Registered
961 Posts
Really depends on the type of pavement in your area. Try some hiway road with glazed over pavement. If still doesn't work then simply put tranny in N and rev up to 3K, then slam into D.

Seriously though, my high school truck would spin the tires for 100yds on most pavement, then on certain types, it would 100% hook-up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hello everyone,

I own a slate metallic limited 4x4 dc with carved factory 20's and stock tires. For the life of me, I can't get my tires to spin on dry pavement. I shut off all the traction nannies by holding the button for 3 seconds that shuts down traction control and all other systems but it still won't spin the tires. I'm not condoning this behavior, but I kept reading about how hard it was to keep the rear tires on this thing, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm sure I could get them to break free by powerbraking, but I don't want to do that.

I'm quite impressed with the acceleration of the truck, but just wondering if anyone else has noticed what i've noticed.
Keep trying, trust me it will do it! It will break loose in auto LSD, oh yes! I haven't tried disingaging all systems as I'd like to get a few thousand miles out of the rear tires...

I'd leave the VSC engaged though as I found out yesterday how well it works as I went from swerving to avoid a dog to swerving to avoid a stopping car doing 55 mph on a wet road. Best safety feature I have ever encountered!Had i just had only abs I would have rear ended the car or gone sidewise into a ditch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
..was reading an article (believe it was in MindlessTrend) and they were having trouble getting a good launch w/ the 5.7L ...something about they were unle to turn off either VSC or traction controls & it was hampering the tundra from having a good holeshot... they got their best 0-60 time by switching to 4wd high...

anyone read this? i'm going to try & find the mag so i can quote them directly & correctly.

stay tuned

·
Registered
548 Posts
That's a sure-fire way to blow up your tranny. You're better off keeping it in D, revving to 3k with foot on the brake and then letting go of the brake.
I would say either is not needed on a brand new truck that costs some good $$.
It fast without damaging it in the process............

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Could just be a late bloomer if you will. How many miles are on the truck? Plus the hundreds of just environmental factors that none of us can comment on. Keep trying, once you get it more broken in or hit the right stretch of road, itll happen.:tu:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
open your hood and make sure the 5.7 is in there... and if it is, well i dont know what to tell you ... from a dead stop, even with all the VSC systems on.. they will spin briefly if you floor it. remember, a spinning tire is not accelerating as fast as one thats not spinning. I would rather the traction

and to comment on the 4wd.. i have placed it in 4hi and got on it from a stop.. WOW

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the thoughts on this.

To be honest, I didn't buy the truck for this - that's what I had my Nitrous Vette and Supercharged Camaro for; however that being said, I must admit I'm a bit shocked that it hooks up as well as it does considering the amount of torque and gear ratio. My truck currently has 1000 miles on it... and my new TRD exhaust is going on this weekend :).

Now if I could just find some nice 18" wheels with larger tires and a good sensible lift kit I'll be set.

Cheers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
..was reading an article (believe it was in MindlessTrend) and they were having trouble getting a good launch w/ the 5.7L ...something about they were unle to turn off either VSC or traction controls & it was hampering the tundra from having a good holeshot... they got their best 0-60 time by switching to 4wd high...

anyone read this? i'm going to try & find the mag so i can quote them directly & correctly.

stay tuned
Yeah, you are right I read that as well and posted that comment a while ago. I read it in an issue ofTruck Trend.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Hello everyone,

Maybe because your 4x4 have a really good traction. Put 91 octane after the tank is nearly empty,turn off VSC or any other power limiting safety devices, drive it hard around for a few miles. Then try the burn out again.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Putting 110* in there wont correct driver error :rolleyes:

Maybe because your 4x4 have a really good traction. Put 91 octane after the tank is nearly empty,turn off VSC or any other power limiting safety devices, drive it hard around for a few miles. Then try the burn out again.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Putting 110* in there wont correct driver error :rolleyes:
The '07 is a tire melting beast!

My '04 wouldn't unless you count the LSD chirping the tires every time I went around a corner....
although I never tried that hard, in this truck its hard not too..

Question, what is the best way to launch this truck? It diffinitly accelerates harder in Auto LSD, but I still notice its being hampered or interferred with from red lining in 1st and 2nd...Curious as I am goingto line it up with my buddies 5.7 dodge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine spins with ease. Be kind on it till its done 1000 mile then you can go crazy. DON'T DO TRANNY DROPS the computer may tell the servicemen what happened and it will hurt when the warranty doesn't cover abuse...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts