Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is probably a region-by-region type deal, but I notice online now that it is possible to configure a $50K+ Tundra using just model and options (i.e. no accessories). That is a good $3400 more than was possible just a month ago. In general though, I notice that the prices have gone up about $1200 on CM models. I imagine this is done so that actual "discounts" and such seem better.
I really like Toyota, but I gotta say that this stinks! I don't like that kind of pricing strategy at all. GM does this all the time (they have price increases on every vehicle during the year every quarter or so). A vehicle in November is $2K more than the same one in January so those "clear-out" prices seem bigger when you get to that point.
Don't know about you, but I was dead-set on a CM Limited 4x4, but if the price keeps rising like this so soon after the introduction and especially when production has been slow to catch up, I may actually consider other vehicles or something other than a truck all together. At $3/gal for gas, the last thing a truck dealer should be doing is raising prices.
Sorry for the venting here, but this just seems a little ridiculous for a 1/2 ton truck... anybody else agree?

·
Registered
202 Posts
As long as people are willing to pay then they can price what they want. Can't blame a company for trying to make a profit. You either pay the money or move on down the road.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow, the Toyota "high price" myth just won't go away. I just bought my SR5 5.7 V8 CrewMax for $900 over sticker, or about $31K plus T & L, or about $2,000 off MSRP.

The biggest seller, the Double Cab SR5 at Longo Toyota (world's largest) have an MSRP window sticker of $32K and change on the majority of the ones I looked at. AND $32K IS FULL LIST WHICH NOBODY WITH A BRAIN PAYS!

I will agree with you on one point though; If you're interested in the CM Limited 4x4, get ready to get your wallet out because those models are EXPENSIVE!

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As long as people are willing to pay then they can price what they want. Can't blame a company for trying to make a profit. You either pay the money or move on down the road.
Of course its good for Toyota to make a profit, but a) it seems a little hasty to raise the price already (they raised the prices of most accessories by more than 20% just a couple of weeks ago), and b) their competitors are actually giving big discounts and providing incentives (probably because of gas prices).
I just think it is too soon to be doing this... but I guess the market will tell. My initial thinking is perhaps they want to give bigger discounts and need to pad the price a bit to do so...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Of course its good for Toyota to make a profit, but a) it seems a little hasty to raise the price already (they raised the prices of most accessories by more than 20% just a couple of weeks ago), and b) their competitors are actually giving big discounts and providing incentives (probably because of gas prices).
I just think it is too soon to be doing this... but I guess the market will tell. My initial thinking is perhaps they want to give bigger discounts and need to pad the price a bit to do so...
Sorry, I don't know what the "price increase" your referring to is. I haven't seen any price increases. Unless you mean that a '07 Tundra costs more than an '06 Tundra.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I don't know what the "price increase" your referring to is. I haven't seen any price increases. Unless you mean that a '07 Tundra costs more than an '06 Tundra.
What I mean is that if you priced an 07 Tundra just a couple of weeks ago, it was less expensive than it is right now. Toyota has increased the price of the vehicles and the options (and even the accessories) already. ususally the increases are minor and are done two to three times a year, but I was surprised to see a price increase already given that they just brought out this truck in February...

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
What I mean is that if you priced an 07 Tundra just a couple of weeks ago, it was less expensive than it is right now. Toyota has increased the price of the vehicles and the options (and even the accessories) already. ususally the increases are minor and are done two to three times a year, but I was surprised to see a price increase already given that they just brought out this truck in February...
Toyota's prices have not changed at all in my region.

I can still configure the same truck, for the same price, I ordered on Feb 10th and took delivery of on Apr 3rd.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree with you totally, but the problem is the CM is hotter then Yoda expected, and they are backed up at the plant trying to fill orders. Its the law of supply and demand people are shelling out well over 40k for the CM and are not batting an eye. So do you expect Yoda to lower the price when the CM is selling like hot cakes. Your choices are to wait till all the hoopla has died down like with the Prius, or pony up, you can also buy a different truck. I choose to wait Im in no hurry, because I also want the CM.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Consider going out of state if needed. Here in southern texas there are CM's on the lot for sale. Can easily get a couple thousand off MRSP. Lease incentives also make it a good time to shop. If you dont need the limited series I think the prices are reasonable. Especially if you consider the engine/tranny, and other standard features that are options on other makes. I could have gotten 10K off a dodge ram but when you see and drive both I think we all realize there is no comparison. Plus dodge is due to change styling in 09. Depreciation is the real hit here on other makes as compared to toyota products. Good Luck.
Cheers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't think anyone here in New England is raising prices, I jsut drove by th local dealer last night, at least 11 Tundras sitting there. I have yet to see my second on the road, they are no where to be found around here.

I'm guessing price and gas prices have killed demand.

Just my observation.

R

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The prices I'm talking about are online prices, so predictably, it will take a while for those to actually make it on the lots. Certainly supply and demand determine price and I'm not contesting that. What upsets me is that Toyota is claiming to offer discounts on the truck when in reality they're doing it on an elevated price. For example a loaded CM 4x4 was $46,230MSRP just last month. There are places that will offer $2500 off that and even more. But Toyota dealerships are advertising incentives but the price is now already over $50K and the only difference I see is the added sunroof and rear dvd system (a couple of smaller items too), but the "real" difference is about $1200 (if they were added on to the same price a month ago). Even MSRP prices have gone up on base CM models. So, the fact that even an added $1000 off seems to suggest that Toyota is trying to get rid of the vehicles only shows that, if anything, they're selling the same vehicle for slightly more than what it was selling for just a couple weeks ago.
I just find this weird about the car industry -- any other product can't do this. You can't have a Dell laptop that was $999 in March, and then $1249 in April but with a 20% off coupon saying there is a big "sale" without people screaming foul. But somehow for autos it seems like this is the norm and that its ok.
Don't get me wrong, all dealers do this with creative mark-up strategies, but it is a little disconcerting when it is coming from the manufacturer itself...

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Toyota's prices have not changed at all in my region.

I can still configure the same truck, for the same price, I ordered on Feb 10th and took delivery of on Apr 3rd.
Same here. The one I have on order is a CM LTD loaded to the gills (everything except rear DVD) and it is well under $50K.

·
Registered
82 Posts
In North Carolina everytime i drive past my dealer (2-3 times a week) it seems they have different tundras on the lot than they did the last time. I generally see 4-5 a day on the road in my area so i wouldnt at all be suprised if they were raising prices due to demand.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Again I say this based on the Toyota Cars, Trucks, SUVs & Accessories build your tundra website.

"Toyota's prices have not changed at all in my region.

I can still configure the same truck, for the same price, I ordered on Feb 10th and took delivery of on Apr 3rd."

I am not sure what is going on in your region, but mine is unchanged as far as price goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts