Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought an 01 tundra with the 4.7, 285,s and a leveling kit. 64,xxx miles. truck is in awsome shape.just wondering if there are any major problems i should look for in the future?? i know it has had most of the recalls done already. any tips are grateful. thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
I haven't had any mechanical problems (knock on wood), but I have had some cosmetic problems. My chrome strip on the door molding started to peel off just months after I bought the truck. So I eventually just peeled it tottally off and to my benefit it looks better like that. I still need to do the driver side, but that chrome strip is really on there.

My rear passenger door arm rest looks to be peeling up too. Kinda odd cause I rarely have anyone in the back seat. I guess the heat is just getting to it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wow that's low miles for an 01.

Is it a 4WD? If so check the CV boots. The leveling kit increases the shaft angle resulting in boots slinging grease.

What is the history of the truck? Have a look underneath for rust.

oc = Orange County?

Any pictures?

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tranny can be an issue in the 00-02 models and it is expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i will post pics as soon i get em. and yes orange county ca. no its just 2wd standard model. truck is in great shape no frame rust. can you elaborate on the tranny issue at all for me? i have noticed at stop lights my idle is fine for about 5 - 10 seconds then it kicks down and has a hard time idling. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got an 01 Tundra TRD after selling my 07 Tundra to Carmax. Got my 01 @ Mcpeek Dodge of Anaheim Ca. It had 96000 miles on it when I bought it. At 98500 or so miles my Tranny went out!!! Thank God Mcpeek Dodge gave me a 90 day/3000 mile warranty!! They replaced it for me for FREE with no B.S. or runaround!! I was stopped at a light and my truck died. Started up fine went to put it in gear then it dies. The other problem with these trucks are the M.A.F. Sensor and Throttle Body. They need cleaned from time to time. I went on youtube and found videos on how to clean your Throttle Body and M.A.F. Sensor. as well as read posts on here. ( Thank you Everyone for your posts)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
yea i will post pics as soon i get em. and yes orange county ca. no its just 2wd standard model. truck is in great shape no frame rust. can you elaborate on the tranny issue at all for me? i have noticed at stop lights my idle is fine for about 5 - 10 seconds then it kicks down and has a hard time idling. any suggestions?
Also gonna guess mass air flow sensor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts