Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had plans on buying this truck in June or July but I having second thoughts after reading about this engine noises.
I hate to wait but I better do that than get stuck with a 43k dollar nightmare. My current Tundra is so quiet and I only have 70K miles. In these 6 years my repair bills has been one light bulb for the rear brake light that I paid less than one dollar from my local autozone.

I will keep checking this forum and see what comes up.

Thank you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The new Tundras have engine noises? What kind of noises? Like a pinging or rattle or what? Maybe the engines were just cold.
Edit: Nevermind, I found the thread.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello,i had a 2002 tundra that was great. i had reservasions about a new truck,engine ,transmission made at new factories but thats what your warrenty is for. besides even if had problems you can get rid of 381 h.p easy, someone will want it bad.i finally decided since i'm only taking this tour once to go ahead and jump.i'm happy. go ahead and jump man.

-------------------------------------
2007 tundra ,dc, blue streak ,4x4 ,5.7 ,20'' wheels ,nav, xm, flaps and boards

·
Registered
98 Posts
You're crazy if you're going to let a little internet chatter chase you away. Go to the dealer, ask them to start the truck up cold and see for yourself. Mine sounds like a swiss watch and is the nicest truck I've owned, and that includes an 04 Armada LE, Tahoe LT 5.3, F250/2=350 powerstrokes, etc..

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Mine sounds like a swiss watch and is the nicest truck I've owned
:tu: Same here. My engine is smooth, quiet and powerful. No odd noises.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Mines quiet as a mouse. Couldnt be happier. I think it was a small percentage of people making alot of noise about the slap. I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well my current tundra of 2001 it is quiet as a mouse too, but in the first years one time I had to turn her off right away because of a diesel sounding noise, only one time it did that.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Mine is a week old, now with 600 miles, purrs like a kitten. Even getting 17.8mpg........luv it!

·
Registered
848 Posts
untill i see a failure linked to this so called slap i wont take it seriously the 3-4 people crying about a normal noise that may just be linked to valves slightly out of adjustment

my truck sounds great and runs even better ... i love how it tows so i see no reason to not buy one ..

·
Registered
528 Posts
The same people complaining about this "noise" are also complaining about everything else with the truck.

1400 miles and going strong. The engine is smooth...I have said it before and I will say it again - this is the best truck I have owned so far.

Pull the trigger and buy the truck.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think it was a small percentage of people making alot of noise about the slap.
Last time I checked the piston slap poll, it was something like 23% of 07 owners that claimed to have what they thought was excessive noise. Of course thats not a scientific study, but take it for what it's worth.

If you have second thoughts about it, then it won't hurt to wait 6 months or something and see if anything becomes of it (Toyota acknowledging it as a problem, people finding out more about it- what causes it, how it affects the engine, etc). Nothing ruins that "new car feeling" more than second thoughts. So take your time and continue to research it. The truck will still be there when you decide to finally go ahead and get one.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Last time I checked the piston slap poll, it was something like 23% of 07 owners that claimed to have what they thought was excessive noise. Of course thats not a scientific study, but take it for what it's worth.

If you have second thoughts about it, then it won't hurt to wait 6 months or something and see if anything becomes of it (Toyota acknowledging it as a problem, people finding out more about it- what causes it, how it affects the engine, etc). Nothing ruins that "new car feeling" more than second thoughts. So take your time and continue to research it. The truck will still be there when you decide to finally go ahead and get one.
well if toyota over built this motor like they overbuilt everything else they have ever designed they might have put forged aluminum pistons in the engine... which will always "slap" when the engine is cold due to the different expansion rates in the metals... cast iron or aluminum expands at a different rate as forged aluminum... once the engine warms up it is fine... all it is is a noise that is all... alot of our supras do the same thing when we rebuilt the engines with forged pistons... 800 horses later... not a problem

·
Registered
585 Posts
No engine noise here in my new CrewMax. And where did you get $43K?

I guess it is possible to pay close to that if you go for the Limited 4x4 with every conceivable option.

Just picked up my SR5 CrewMax with the 5.7, very nicely equipped for about $31,900 + tax and lic. Since the CrewMax was in tight supply with the color and options I wanted, I had to pay $900 over invoice. I usually pay no more than $500 over on any Toyota.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
But the Tundra...everything on here gets amplified and blown out of proportion...nothing wrong with it; that's just the way it is when you get a bunch of passionate people together. Take the negative and positive comments with a grain of salt, and make your own conclusions

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm one of those who has squawked over engine noise. Don't let my truck stop you from getting one. I'm of a minor percentage (25ish) that has a engine that isn't "quiet as a mouse". That means 75% or so do have quiet engines. You have a 3 out of 4 chance of getting a quiet one according to those numbers. I've been told repeatedly by forum members that I have nothing to worry about. Then again, I understand your concern, it's your $43,000, not theirs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TONS AND TONS OF BS ON THE INTERNET

TRUST YOUR OWN JUDGEMENT

Go to the dealer and start up every thundra on the lot and listen. I just went to the dealer and started up over 10 tundra's and they all sounded the same. That's 100% smooth.

Test drive every truck you can (GM, FORD, DODGE, NISSAN)

Your opinion is the only one that matters, not some wing nut on the internet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts