Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the reason Toyota is not responding to the AIP issue. The only brand that had a larger sales increase was Ford. Ford was up 30.5%...Chev. up 8.9%...Ram down 20% I was surprised to read these numbers.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think the real reason their holding out on the AIP is because it has no function on how the truck runs. It only affect the cats in the exhaust, not essential to driving functions on the truck.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I think the real reason their holding out on the AIP is because it has no function on how the truck runs. It only affect the cats in the exhaust, not essential to driving functions on the truck.

Weeeellll, if it puts that puppy in limp mode, I would say that classifies as affecting how the truck runs....

But I do get your point.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I haven't seen the numbers the OP is speaking of, but I'm guessing that the 20% increase is what???

10,000 vs 8,000? 6,000 vs 5,000???

BFD............it has nothing to do with why Toy is not adressing the AIP, IMHO.

Furthermore, even though I'll argue to the death that the Tundra's sales are actually fair considering it's a 1/2 ton vs the other manufacturers total lineup, it may not be high enough for Toy to invest on significant improvements regarding our favorite trucks......time will tell.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I haven't seen the numbers the OP is speaking of, but I'm guessing that the 20% increase is what???

10,000 vs 8,000? 6,000 vs 5,000???

BFD............it has nothing to do with why Toy is not adressing the AIP, IMHO.

Furthermore, even though I'll argue to the death that the Tundra's sales are actually fair considering it's a 1/2 ton vs the other manufacturers total lineup, it may not be high enough for Toy to invest on significant improvements regarding our favorite trucks......time will tell.
Man you really like to argue with everyone about everything don't you??:behindsofa:
Just giving you a hard time!

I wonder if they have made any changes to the aip for 2010 or 2011. If they do it would, in my eyes indicate that they know there is a problem. I'm guessing that there will be a TSB or something in the future, but if you are out of waranty can you still have TSB's done at no cost???

Anyway, back to the topic, I wish sales would boom because I'd love to see a diesel some day. My wife already knows that if they come out with one I am trading!!!

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Weeeellll, if it puts that puppy in limp mode, I would say that classifies as affecting how the truck runs....

But I do get your point.
Hmmm, see i heard the truck would run fine...my bad i guess.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just traded in my '07 5.7 TRD for a '10 5.7 LTD (man, was I missing out for 3 years!!). Anyhow, I asked the head tech about the AIP issue (one primary reason for me trading), he hadn't seen one yet (I only mention this as a peace of mind for us Canadian owners as I know it's an issue down south. He couldn't explain why it hasn't been an issue north of the 49th yet. Go figure??).

However, he did mention that from a very recent meeting they had, a diesel is in the near future (Cummins he said). Was originally suppose to debut fall '10, then shelved due to the economy, but was told it is being revived for possibly '11 but most likely '12. He did say that corporate is extremely secretive on dates, time lines etc.

For what it's worth........Just saying, is all.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I just traded in my '07 5.7 TRD for a '10 5.7 LTD (man, was I missing out for 3 years!!). Anyhow, I asked the head tech about the AIP issue (one primary reason for me trading), he hadn't seen one yet (I only mention this as a peace of mind for us Canadian owners as I know it's an issue down south. He couldn't explain why it hasn't been an issue north of the 49th yet. Go figure??).

However, he did mention that from a very recent meeting they had, a diesel is in the near future (Cummins he said). Was originally suppose to debut fall '10, then shelved due to the economy, but was told it is being revived for possibly '11 but most likely '12. He did say that corporate is extremely secretive on dates, time lines etc.

For what it's worth........Just saying, is all.

"(Cummins he said).

Please understand I am NOT shooting the messenger..........but the "head tech" (did he have dirty knees??) is a BSer.

I'm surprised he didn't say the motor supplier was going to be Cat........that was the urban legend a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
"(Cummins he said).

Please understand I am NOT shooting the messenger..........but the "head tech" (did he have dirty knees??) is a BSer.

I'm surprised he didn't say the motor supplier was going to be Cat........that was the urban legend a few years ago.
I did actually hear their was a possibility dodge and cummins could be parting ways, however i doubt they'd put the cummins in the tundra.

If anything they're going to put the Hino diesel engine in it since Hino trucks and Toyota merged.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I would love to hear someone say Cat now that they have moved out of the OTR diesel engines due to stupid EPA mandates.

Would love to see Toyota do a diesel Tundra, but from the looks of it, they will have significant teething pains. I doubt we will see one.

My brother is looking into the 4.6 Tundra. Its actually one of the best values on the market when you compare across the board.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
That's what you gota do especialy now is look for value. Tundra sales may be up 20% and that's a whle lot better than down, but after the cliff dive at the end of 08 and the shakey recovery(if you wana call it that)in 09, everyone's pretty much in a wait and see mood at this point. IMHO Toyota's not gona get to creative in this shakey economy.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I think it's cause their attention at the moment is fixed on trying to diagnose and repair a defect that hasn't actually even been fully identified and confirmed to exist. And their resources have been diverted towards costly recalls for improperly placed floormats and installing new systems in their vehicles because there's people out there who don't know which pedal is which. Or what to do when they hit the wrong pedal and the car goes too fast, or who panic so much in a crisis they forget what to do, and then swear after the fact that they actually tried it and it didn't work. Maybe they will get around to handling the AIP issue once they're finished making vehicles more idiot-proof.

·
Registered
500 Posts
"(Cummins he said).

I didn't think that sounded right neither, I figured it would be Isuzu. Anyhow, the tech is the dealerships (40yrs in business) principle owners son. I had no reason to believe he would be BSing.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I didn't think that sounded right neither, I figured it would be Isuzu. Anyhow, the tech is the dealerships (40yrs in business) principle owners son. I had no reason to believe he would be BSing.
Yea like i said before odds are its gonna be a Hino diesel engine, since toyota now owns that company.

·
Registered
356 Posts
More complaining needs done on the AIP pumps,,, and a Hino diesel would be nice,,,,, but could bring in more untested and unproven components specific to the tundra, like the AIP system.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Yea like i said before odds are its gonna be a Hino diesel engine, since toyota now owns that company.
I agree man... I think that Hino would be their obvious first choice, CAT second, and Cummins a VERY distant third, if that...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
A diesel Tundra? That should have been a given for Toyota as long as they don't screw it up with emissions junk on the engine, in my opinion. They probably won't do it though due to all their other issues as the stake holders won't let them take the risk of building a "sales" lemon.

I would like to see them upgrade the size of the Tacoma and put the 4.6 or 5.7 in the new upgraded Tacoma? Let's say, make it the size of the Gen. 1 Tundra and you have the perfect mid sized truck. Can you imagine the potential of a truck that size with a boxed frame and a 5.7 v8 engine?

Man, what potential. Wait a minute, wake up? That would make too much sense and sell too many when compared to the Gen 2 Tundra. Well, so much for dreaming. Just a thought of fun....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts