Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Article from April 3rd: Big Three get March U.S. sales beating, Toyota cheers - Yahoo! News

Reading the article it's clear cars and trucks are selling, just not American cars and trucks which is bad for all of us. I think it's time the big 3 re-think their priorites and start designing and building better vehicles! It's bad to point of embarrassing and I see no reason for it! :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
ACROSS THE SECTOR
The industry-wide tally for March was 2.9 percent lower than a year earlier, at 1.54 million, equivalent to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 16.32 million vehicles.
Over the first three months of the year, Ford's U.S. market share stood at 15.4 percent, behind GM's 22.9 percent and Toyota's 15.6 percent. DaimlerChrysler came in fourth at 13.8 percent and Honda placed fifth, at 9.1 percent.
In the pickup truck market -- the last niche dominated by U.S. automakers -- GM, Ford and Chrysler all saw sales fall.
Sales of Chevrolet Silverado dropped 12 percent, while GMC Sierra purchases were down 18 percent. Chrysler's Dodge Ram pickup sales slipped 5 percent.
Toyota, however, posted an 8 percent increase in sales of its new Tundra pickup trucks.
Even the big incentives offered by the domestics is not helping while the "overpriced" Tundra sales are going up.

Jim

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even the big incentives offered by the domestics is not helping while the "overpriced" Tundra sales are going up.

Jim
No kidding, the concept posted here sometime back about Tundras 'not selling' was as bogus as the 'Tundra interior is ugly.' No doubt infiltrators into this site...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
No kidding, the concept posted here sometime back about Tundras 'not selling' was as bogus as the 'Tundra interior is ugly.' No doubt infiltrators into this site...
Nah, I'm not an infiltrator, and I still maintain that the inside of the 07 is fugly. I hate metallic dashboards and big metallic knobs.

I like my 06 DC, but again, it's nothing special. A bit Ford like with the knobs they use.

I wish they could find their own style and run with it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would say the 07 owners have just as much right to like their trucks as 06 owners. I like mine, so I guess that makes everybody happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think 8% is good at all. If the goal was 200,000 per year and last year was around 110,000 - Toyota is on course to sell well under the goal.

Article from April 3rd: Big Three get March U.S. sales beating, Toyota cheers - Yahoo! News

Reading the article it's clear cars and trucks are selling, just not American cars and trucks which is bad for all of us. I think it's time the big 3 re-think their priorites and start designing and building better vehicles! It's bad to point of embarrassing and I see no reason for it! :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Anyone else getting pounded with these emails from Toyota dealers desparate to see these 2007 Tundras.

[FONT=&quot]SPRING SALE!
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

2007 TUNDRA DOUBLECABS
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5,000.00 OFF MSRP
PLUS $1,000.00
TRADE-IN ASSISTANCE
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Models 8216 & 8240
IN STOCK ONLY[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

Check out this web site link. Toyota sales are down.
PickupTruck.Com - News
[/FONT]

·
Registered
113 Posts
First of all I own a Tundra but even w/ the increase in sales for toyota trucks they are still not even in the running w/ any of the domestics in overall sales just a heads up reminder

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally Posted by vspectra
Here, no outside source. Straight from the pressroom...

Silverado DOWN 11.8%/ Sierra DOWN 18.1%
GM Media Online

F-Series DOWN 15.1%
Ford Motor Company - Press Release - FORD’S NEW CARS, CROSSOVERS SET SALES RECORDS; NEW PRODUCTS ACHIEVING COMPANY’S SALES TARGETS

Ram DOWN 5%
Chrysler Group Announces March 2007 U.S. Sales

Titan DOWN 12.4%
NissanNews

Tundra UP 7.8%
Toyota/Lexus/Scion Pressroom: Toyota Reports March Sales

Don't know where pickuptruck.com gets their numbers from but GM themselves are reporting the drop in sales.

Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
first few months of a new model is not a real great barometer. Also as mentioned above its an economy of scale thing as well. With the Tundra selling so little overall its easy to see an increase. I wonder how many of these sales are Toyota loyalists. I would guess quite a few, especially when talking about a relatively small number like 11k. The summer months should be telling.

·
Registered
352 Posts
First of all I own a Tundra but even w/ the increase in sales for toyota trucks they are still not even in the running w/ any of the domestics in overall sales just a heads up reminder
1. That's what they said about Toyota's car sales years ago.
2. The new Tundra just came out.
3. Toyota is not trying to take over the entire truck market...... yet.
4. If domestic sales continue to drop at a this rate and Toyota sales continue to rise then over the long run they might very well do just that!
5. There well always be diehard ford/chevy/dodge loyalist who would rather push their truck then drive a Toyota.

Jim

·
Registered
330 Posts

Are you just turning a blind eye to the fact that even with the new Tundra, all 3 domestic brands literally CRUSHED Toyota in truck sales last month? So by your logic, how can American trucks not be selling when they are outselling Toyota by a huge margin? Not trying to be an ***, I'm just trying to understand what it is that you actually mean?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are you just turning a blind eye to the fact that even with the new Tundra, all 3 domestic brands literally CRUSHED Toyota in truck sales last month? So by your logic, how can American trucks not be selling when they are outselling Toyota by a huge margin? Not trying to be an ***, I'm just trying to understand what it is that you actually mean?
(Slice not attacking you here-you just provided a good segue)
The thing that I do not understand in this and other discussions is the ability to marginalize numbers. Yes, in overall numbers the, "ahem" Big 3 domestic brands literally crushed Toyota in Truck sales last month.

Here's the marginalization: their sales were down-yes Virginia, down but still selling. There is no other metric discussed in the automotive business media than units sold. Some people like to talk of profitability as well with it.:eek: :rolleyes:

Volume does not make up for everything in business. I doubt the Big 3 are just selling vehicles at a possible loss for the volume. If they could sell half the same number of cars tomorrow as the make today, and make more money doing it, do you think they would do it? I believe the shareholders would want them to do it and I believe they would jump at the chance because their profitability was way up. The problem is that they can't (today) so they need the volume. And when the volume they need drops-there's a problem.

I often have this discussion with my wife concerning things on sale: She does not get excited about things on sale for 15% off when its a small ticket item, i.e. less than 20 bucks but put it on something over $100 and she says hey we're saving a bunch of money. 15% is 15% no matter the dollar value. She just marginalized the numbers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Volume does not make up for everything in business. I doubt the Big 3 are just selling vehicles at a possible loss for the volume. If they could sell half the same number of cars tomorrow as the make today, and make more money doing it, do you think they would do it? I believe the shareholders would want them to do it and I believe they would jump at the chance because their profitability was way up. The problem is that they can't (today) so they need the volume. And when the volume they need drops-there's a problem.
That's words of wisdom. Domestic fanboys always like to think Toyota is after 'selling the most cars/trucks'. They think Toyota is out to take the crown of the largest auto company by units sold, as if there is a first prize of $90 Billion. Well, the truth is Toyota doesn't give a shlt about selling the most vehicles, but they are serious about being the most profitable. If Toyota could make the most profit selling 5 cars/trucks a year, I bet that'd be their preferred way. What good does selling million cars do when you end up tens of billions of dollars in the gutter?

Can toyota become the largest auto company? Yes, OVERNIGHT. All they have to do is make sure they post $10B loss. I guess they are not after that, hence posting $10B in profit when others are going under.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tundra Prices are dropping ...

CarMax (Used cars and new cars at carmax.com ® The way car buying should be. ® Error) has had 40 Tundra's forever. I think they've sold about 3-5 so far. The base model seems to be the biggest dog, with 12 on the lot for well over a month .....

SO - they've started to lower prices. Now between $500 and $1000 above invoice.

They've also FINALLY gotten a crewmax or two in, but they're LTD and 45K.

Nissan branch had a $3000 rebate on the TITAN and blew out about 20 in way less than a month ...

I think we'll start seeing invoice pricing as the norm in a month or two, and maybe some rebates in the early summer ...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm not so sure about that. Anyone else getting pounded with these emails from Toyota dealers desparate to see these 2007 Tundras.

[FONT=&quot]SPRING SALE![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]2007 TUNDRA DOUBLECABS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]$5,000.00 OFF MSRP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PLUS $1,000.00 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]TRADE-IN ASSISTANCE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Models 8216 & 8240[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IN STOCK ONLY[/FONT]
No. Apparently you are the only one getting/making these up.

Jim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts