Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this was interesting info from the Toyota Newsroom:

The Tundra full-size pickup posted March sales of 10,785 units, up 87 percent over the same period in 2009.

Not sure exactly what this means, but it seems like good news to me....:tu::tu:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Yeep, and meanwhile a GM dealer I drove past recently was clearing out hybrid Sierras. :lol:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I would not call it a very good news, since Toyota will continue to put cheap plastic interiors and will not change their coverage of 3y/36k.:td:
Meaning people are buying - continue slacking:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
A lot of people ***** about the plastic, but honestly, when I looked at the Fords before buying my CM they were no better. Actually more cheesy plastic chrome trim on the dash. All the big trucks now seem to be made cheaper and lighter, to save weight and fuel. While a lot of things advanced, basic ruggedness took a few steps back IMO, for all brands.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,569 Posts
I think it's probably the zero % financing they're offering. But with interest rates at a historic low, how can they not offer low finance rates?

We can only hope they're being more selective about who they offer these rates to, than some of the housing mortgage guys who would give you basically free financing provided you had a pulse.

·
Registered
422 Posts
keep in mind - nobody was buying vehicles in march of last year. there were 80% declines in sales from 2008-2009. Makes sense the sales return eventually.

·
Registered
384 Posts
From a "seat of the pants" perspective, last year I could count the number of Tundras I'd see in a week on one hand and now I'd have to take off a shoe to count the number I'd see in a day.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
A lot of people ***** about the plastic, but honestly, when I looked at the Fords before buying my CM they were no better. Actually more cheesy plastic chrome trim on the dash. All the big trucks now seem to be made cheaper and lighter, to save weight and fuel. While a lot of things advanced, basic ruggedness took a few steps back IMO, for all brands.
I am not comparing it to other manufacturers. I am comparing it to Toyotas that I had before:(
I saw the interior of Chevy Suburban base model and was completely horrified. But that does not make Toyotas' interior better:rolleyes:

·
Registered
456 Posts
From a "seat of the pants" perspective, last year I could count the number of Tundras I'd see in a week on one hand and now I'd have to take off a shoe to count the number I'd see in a day.

Same here. :tu:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I am not comparing it to other manufacturers. I am comparing it to Toyotas that I had before:(
I saw the interior of Chevy Suburban base model and was completely horrified. But that does not make Toyotas' interior better:rolleyes:
These trucks have a lot more technology, performance, and size than they did in the past. The only way to keep their cost reasonable is to use less expensive parts where possible (ideally without sacrificing durability and longevity). If you figure out how to make stronger, better, prettier parts for less, please let me know and I'll be the first to invest!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally I am just glad to see Tundra sales up, means my resale may not have been as damaged as I thought from the stupid gas pedal recall thing. I think there are a number of reasons behind the increase but really I am not exactly sure, hopefully it is also a sign of the economy picking up. In any case it makes me a bit happier with my truck.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
These trucks have a lot more technology, performance, and size than they did in the past. The only way to keep their cost reasonable is to use less expensive parts where possible (ideally without sacrificing durability and longevity). If you figure out how to make stronger, better, prettier parts for less, please let me know and I'll be the first to invest!
Agreed on that, BUT computers in 80 were way too expensive (costing more than a car) to get one. Now they are more powerful and cost less than $400. The point is technology is developing fast and becomes more affordable.
In my BMW 525 1990 I had on board computer with fuel economy and such, but it is still an option on Toyota in 2010. That bimmer showed me which bulb I have to change on central display. 20 years later and we still do not have anything even closer to that on a $40k truck?!?!
TPMS considered a luxury:rolleyes: On MDX it shows you exact PSI in each tire. Believe me they are making a lot of money on these trucks, especially selling us those air induction pumps $1200 a peace:eek:
Switching to lower grade materials leads to more profits, plus you are not paying the same money as you were paying for Tundra in 2002:dry3d:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think a lot of folks were like me - they may have been interested in a new Tundra, but wanted to wait to see what the incentives looked like in the month after the major the acceleration drama. So there was probably some pent up demand from February that spilled over into sales in March. That and the 0 / 1.9 percent financing, which saves you almost 7 grand over the length of the loan, if you finance most all of the purchase price.

I agree about the softer / lighter plastics and overall treatment for the truck - like the flimsy tailgate and easily dented bed / fenders - manufactures are going for bragging rights for truck acceleration and fuel economy (as is the consumer), so the lighter they make everything, the better those numbers look, even though I'm really bummed that a slight lean against the rear fenders leaves a dimple in the body...

·
Registered
754 Posts
ford sales were up 40 also guys vs toyotas 41 percent does that make ford just as good as a toyota now? even with the bad mouth of fords out there they are still selling just like the bad mouths for toyota they will still sell......everyone in the world needs a car. if you make a product people will buy it no matter what..

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
ford sales were up 40 also guys vs toyotas 41 percent does that make ford just as good as a toyota now? even with the bad mouth of fords out there they are still selling just like the bad mouths for toyota they will still sell......everyone in the world needs a car. if you make a product people will buy it no matter what..
Stated in simple terms - there's a seat for every a$$ :tu:

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I couldn't believe how many Tundras were rolling around in FL; I see a Tundra in STL only once in awhile but more lately than before.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts