Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok...the first time my 08 Tundra shut off i thought it was just something that happens......the engine shut off but everything was powered on. Shut the truck off started back up, and was in limp mode where i couldn't go pass 40....took it to the house read the code, forgot which code it was but it had to do with the throttle body getting stuck open, took the volant piping off, and notice that it was a little dirty cleaned out the throttle body, and it was good for a month.

TODAY was going about 80 on the highway truck did the same thing, but wouldn't start back up. it'll crank then shut off, took the battery post off let it sit for 10 minutes, then started back up with no codes this time.

any ideas?

2008 Toyota tundra 2wd 60,080 miles

one thing i did notice was teh A/T temp light was on, along with check engine light

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
There are a lot of interlocks in the ECU software that can cause weird stuff to happen. It is probably a sensor problem of some sort. You need to know EXACTLY what CEL code is being set when this happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok...the first time my 08 Tundra shut off i thought it was just something that happens......the engine shut off but everything was powered on. Shut the truck off started back up, and was in limp mode where i couldn't go pass 40....took it to the house read the code, forgot which code it was but it had to do with the throttle body getting stuck open, took the volant piping off, and notice that it was a little dirty cleaned out the throttle body, and it was good for a month.

TODAY was going about 80 on the highway truck did the same thing, but wouldn't start back up. it'll crank then shut off, took the battery post off let it sit for 10 minutes, then started back up with no codes this time.

any ideas?

2008 Toyota tundra 2wd 60,080 miles

one thing i did notice was teh A/T temp light was on, along with check engine light

·
Registered
3 Posts
Its a long shot because this otigonal post is old, but any follow up on what the probablem really was? I have a truck, same year, doing exactly what you have described. Dealer has replaced fuel module and fuel pump. Private mechanic I know has replaced ignition. Both things solved it for a little while and then it started acting up again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its a long shot because this otigonal post is old, but any follow up on what the probablem really was? I have a truck, same year, doing exactly what you have described. Dealer has replaced fuel module and fuel pump. Private mechanic I know has replaced ignition. Both things solved it for a little while and then it started acting up again. Any ideas?
Any trouble codes? Try cleaning the throttle body also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, did get a trouble code of B28 when hooked up to a scanner. Also, my aplogies for the many spelling errors in my original response. I blame mobile phone use! Thanks.

·
Registered
Many Lexus and Toyotas
837 Posts
Its a long list of things but start with what the trouble codes point to first. B28 is a generic scantool code you need to look up in it's book. You need to get it scanned with a better tool that will give you the actual Pxxx or Cxxx codes. Most common issues I have seen like this are bad fuel pumps, bad MAF or MAF connection, 2 bad secondary air injection system pressure sensors, anything electrical like a bad sensor or intermittent short that can take down the +5V ECM supply to the engine sensors like the crankshaft position sensor. Also a throttle body position sensor or motor can do this as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts