Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 02 tundra access cab, last night actually, it is is relatively good shape. Anyway, I want to add a subwoofer, but am not sure what to do. From what I have seen from a couple hours searching here and online, I have two options. I can either put it in the storage under the seat or take out the cup holder in the center and build an enclosure. For both of these I would most definitely be building my own enclosure as the q-logic ones is a little expensive. I'm curious about a couple things. First, is it possible to build a nice enclosure under the seat myself, or is it worth it to get the q-logic and know it will work and look nice? Secondly, which one is better, getting rid of the under seat storage, or getting rid of the middle seat? Are there any videos or threads which you would recommend to look at when building either of these? Which one is the best location? I know you can fit two 8s in the storage, but only one (maybe a 10?), which one is best in your opinion.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a 10" installed in my 02 access cab some years ago in the storage under the rear seat on the passenger side. They dynamated the inside. Installed a small amp under the seat as well. It sounded really good for what it was and I may go that route again. I no longer have that 02 but it's still in the family so I can get access to it and see what was done at the time.

I'm in the same boat as you today as I bought another 1st Gen and need to figure out the audio for it.

I know nothing about cat audio...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a 10" installed in my 02 access cab some years ago in the storage under the rear seat on the passenger side. They dynamated the inside. Installed a small amp under the seat as well. It sounded really good for what it was and I may go that route again. I no longer have that 02 but it's still in the family so I can get access to it and see what was done at the time.

I'm in the same boat as you today as I bought another 1st Gen and need to figure out the audio for it.

I know nothing about car audio...

·
Registered
270 Posts
It was good enough just to get a richer and Fuller sound. Had an door speakers done as well as the time.

For what it is, the results were good, there isn't much air space in that compartment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@Nick02tundra did you ever keep up on this project? I'm just starting a similar project on my 05 DC. Putting one or two 8" subs in the storage under the back seat.

I calculated that box in a DC is approx 0.43 CF so even if you could fit multiple sub's, the sound probably depends on the sub being rated for such a small box. I'm starting with one 8" JL sub and once I get it hooked up and all done, there is def room to put a second one in there but it would be way under the needed size. I'm using JL W3-8v3-4-ohm and it calls for box size of 0.3 which is just about what's left once I account for the displacement of the sub itself. Haven't gotten to locating the amp yet, where did you end up putting yours?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Nick02tundra did you ever keep up on this project? I'm just starting a similar project on my 05 DC. Putting one or two 8" subs in the storage under the back seat.

I calculated that box in a DC is approx 0.43 CF so even if you could fit multiple sub's, the sound probably depends on the sub being rated for such a small box. I'm starting with one 8" JL sub and once I get it hooked up and all done, there is def room to put a second one in there but it would be way under the needed size. I'm using JL W3-8v3-4-ohm and it calls for box size of 0.3 which is just about what's left once I account for the displacement of the sub itself. Haven't gotten to locating the amp yet, where did you end up putting yours?
I'm currently in the process, though work is slow because it is so damn cold here. I've gotten the sub all set up, make sure you use some soundproofing foam to fill the hole between the two compartments, but I've gotten everything else in place. I just glued together 2 pieces of 3/4" mdf to get a thick piece so I could then use a router to create a recess for everything. This is so you can hear the sub when the seat is down and it isn't just giving a massage to the person in the back seat. I simply made the second piece of mdf small enough to fit into the hole all the way, but bog enough to be able to screw down the 8" sub I'm using. I and many people better at this than me have calculated the ideal sub wattage to be between 250 and 300. The thing is that I've gotten everything is place, but I'm still at a loss for where to put the amp. Unless your amp is paper thin, you can't put it behind the seat, it's impossible to put it under any seat and it does seem like a good idea to put it in the storage because of overheating. I've been thinking about this the whole time I've been working on this, but cannot for the life of me think of where to put it where it won't get stolen, but will also work well, be easy to run the wires for and not have any overheating issues. My next possible place to look at is in the center console, but I don't think that will work either.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm currently in the process, though work is slow because it is so damn cold here. I've gotten the sub all set up, make sure you use some soundproofing foam to fill the hole between the two compartments, but I've gotten everything else in place. I just glued together 2 pieces of 3/4" mdf to get a thick piece so I could then use a router to create a recess for everything. This is so you can hear the sub when the seat is down and it isn't just giving a massage to the person in the back seat. I simply made the second piece of mdf small enough to fit into the hole all the way, but bog enough to be able to screw down the 8" sub I'm using. I and many people better at this than me have calculated the ideal sub wattage to be between 250 and 300. The thing is that I've gotten everything is place, but I'm still at a loss for where to put the amp. Unless your amp is paper thin, you can't put it behind the seat, it's impossible to put it under any seat and it does seem like a good idea to put it in the storage because of overheating. I've been thinking about this the whole time I've been working on this, but cannot for the life of me think of where to put it where it won't get stolen, but will also work well, be easy to run the wires for and not have any overheating issues. My next possible place to look at is in the center console, but I don't think that will work either.
@Nick02tundra hi i am building an enclosure for a JL 8w7 to fit the center console. I wanted to follow up with you to see what you ended up doing for the tundra dc sub? i have a 2006 dc and cant use under the seat due to space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
overall dimensions of the console are decent but i hate the arm rests so i plan on building the console 4 inches taller than the original. yes, i will lose the original 2 cupholders on the back and the 12v outlet. i am contemplating removing the flat tray section up front and extending the whole enclosure all the way forward to the bottom of the dash. if i do that i will lose the other 2 cup holders and the 2 12v plugs on the passenger side but i feel those arent really necessary since we dont really use them, yet. i can always pick up some cheap cup holders and incorporate them into my fiberglass enclosure if they are really that necessary. the slide out cup holders are still on the bottom right of the dash under the ac controls. just looking for additional ideas and input.

as for an amp, i plan on running my pioneer gmd9605 for the doors and the sub. 75 x 4 @ 4 ohms for the doors and 475x1 @ 3 ohms for the 8w7.

any input or pics or feedback would be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts