Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local Toyota dealer has setup a Tundra test drive where you can drive a Tundra, Ram, Sierra and F150 all in one spot. They have the Tundra, Sierra and Ram hooked to approx. 6000# trailers, and you can drive all the trucks through an offroad coarse or do acceleration tests. Pretty interesting to say the least. This is the second time I've driven a new Tundra, but I'm VERY impressed. Towing is important to me, as I have a RV and like to camp. The Tundra and Sierra were the only trucks I tested towing, because I'd never buy the other two in a 1/2 ton. I never realized how important transmission and gearing is until I owned the current Silverado which has a Duramax/Allison combo. The Tundra pulls almost as hard as my duramax, and smokes the Sierra. In the test route I selected, I had to merge into highway traffic from a dead stop. The Tundra pulled HARD and I was north of 70mph pretty quick, the Sierra has some balls (6.0 vortec max) but is handicapped by the 4 speed auto and torque management. The Tundra really shined in the offroad coarse as well.

Just thought I'd pass on my experience. I don't know if Toyota pushes these events, or if just the local dealer did it. I think getting folks in these trucks is what will sell them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The service manager at my Toyota dealer said that Toyota set up a comparison like that for all the area's sales and service staff. The did 0-to-60's and 60-to-0's empty, with 1500lbs in the bed, and with a 5000lb trailer. Also did a slalom with 1500 in the bed, and a panic stop from 70 with the 5000lb trailer attached. He said they were all very impressed by the Tundra, with the Sierra/Silverado coming in second in every category, followed by everybody else - at a distance. Their test also included a Nissan Titan. I would have loved to participate.

He also told me that a number of the Toyota-only dealerships were going to have to do some re-modeling (his is one of them). Some of the lifts are too close to the door to allow the longer truck to be centered on the lift and still clear the door.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Why don't they set up a test where there is a big chain hooked up to the back of a new Tundra and you can bring your truck in, hook it up to your hitch and have a tug-of-war? They could actually have a heavy sled in the middle which would make it a lot safer.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Why don't they set up a test where there is a big chain hooked up to the back of a new Tundra and you can bring your truck in, hook it up to your hitch and have a tug-of-war? They could actually have a heavy sled in the middle which would make it a lot safer.
All that would do is test traction.

Jim

·
Registered
242 Posts
We've got a car and truck show coming here this weeekend and Toyota will have an off-raod track set up to test drive the new Tundra. I'm going to try and get in if the wait is not insanely long!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I used to work at a Toyota dealership and Toyota was making dealers re-design (or at least plan a re-design) to accomodate the new Tundra back in 2005. It was part of their "Signature" program (phase 2) I think. Funny how most dealerships never designed their service facilities to handle something the size of the new tundra truck.:D

·
Registered
457 Posts
All that would do is test traction.

Jim
Yes, my cousin got sucked into a pull like this, with his chevy against a ford , but the ford had weight in the back hidden by a camper shell and beefed up rear springs. He pulledd the chev anywhere he wanted. It was imbarrasing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My dealer is going through an expansion and there current lifts will not do the job of lifting this truck...so the wait continues

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
We've got a car and truck show coming here this weeekend and Toyota will have an off-raod track set up to test drive the new Tundra. I'm going to try and get in if the wait is not insanely long!
do you have any more information on this? I was hoping to get down to the show but if they have a track set up, I will definitely make it there....I would love to see the crewmax but from what others have said, the chances of actually seeing one is not great....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts