Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Tundra owners,

It's been a while since I've posted a question. I did some searches for what I'm about to ask but not sure if I found what I was looking for.

My question is: Has Toyota figured out how to fix the thud that comes from the drive/propeller shaft? You know the one I'm talking about, the one that makes you look behind you when your stopped at a red light to see if you were just rear ended. The one that makes you wonder if your transmission is lying on the ground. You know the one. Has Toyota figured it out yet.

I have all of my grease fitting lubed with each oil change and I specifically request the drive shaft/propeller shaft be greased really well. But lets face it, that's only a temporary solution as within a couple thousand miles, the issue is back.

If they haven't figured it out, have you? What's your solution?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
181 Posts
what kind of thud are you talking about? I have a thud when I left off the gas and hit the gas again. Its enough of a thud to shake waterbottles pretty good that are in the cup holders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know the "thud." I looked behind my truck an hour ago while driving to see if someone rear ended me too. =)

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
you should spring for a grease gun and a tube of moly grease. grind the gun tip so it fits all of the hard to reach fittings and start pumping every time YOU change your oil. the guy at the speedtlube probably never wasted any grease on your rig but charged you 29.95 for the pleasure.....

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

there must be something to the above statement. i have the rear hellwig sway and i have never heard a thud at all on my 06 dc 2wd. i know the thud you are talking about though as i have experienced this phenomenon on another vehicle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
you should spring for a grease gun and a tube of moly grease. grind the gun tip so it fits all of the hard to reach fittings and start pumping every time YOU change your oil. the guy at the speedtlube probably never wasted any grease on your rig but charged you 29.95 for the pleasure.....

I agree, I lube mine just about 90% of the time, however in the winter when I don't the thud comes back. I put generous amount grease at the back (slip joint) and into the middle fitting where that fancy driveshaft joint is with 3 fittings. I do have a Helwig sway bar in the rear.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So these are interesting responses, I thought the "thud" was more common. I have a '05 DC 4x4 Limited and I've had the Helwig anti-sway bar practically since day one. In the summer, the thud is much worse, I think it has to do with the A/C compressor being on and hotter temperatures. Anyone else with a DC 4x4 having this issue?

·
Registered
971 Posts
I get the same thing in my 05 AC 4x4 sometimes, my driveshafts are always lubed well and it doesn't seem to make much difference. When I'm sitting at a light it feels like I am bumped from behind. Some say it's the AC compressor kicking on but it also does this in winter when the AC is not even on. My wifes 09 Corolla also does this winter or summer and it's front wheel drive, no driveshafts.:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have the same problem, Toyota said that is how it was designed. They also said it was because "Its a heavy duty drive shaft."

·
Registered
65 Posts
i experience the same issue in my 2000 sr5..

I have a subjective theory on the cause of this... the guy before me said he greased all the zerks on the drive shaft about 40k ago... and i just did it recently, but it still does the "thud" thing... i might be wrong, but i think maybe there is a grease fitting somewhere that i just cannot find.. and the fittings that were greased are causing smooth action up until the ones that weren't,... does that make sense? i think that certain parts of the shaft.. maybe 2 extra fittings aren't so nicely greased and it's causing a delay in smoothness... which in turn results in that signature "thud"...

i read somewhere that a guy had to grind his grease gun down to make it fit in a tight spot so that leads me to believe that i am missing 1 or 2 fittings because i didn't have any real tight spots to fit the grease gun on.. any thoughts on that!?

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
i experience the same issue in my 2000 sr5..

I have a subjective theory on the cause of this... the guy before me said he greased all the zerks on the drive shaft about 40k ago... and i just did it recently, but it still does the "thud" thing... i might be wrong, but i think maybe there is a grease fitting somewhere that i just cannot find.. and the fittings that were greased are causing smooth action up until the ones that weren't,... does that make sense? i think that certain parts of the shaft.. maybe 2 extra fittings aren't so nicely greased and it's causing a delay in smoothness... which in turn results in that signature "thud"...

i read somewhere that a guy had to grind his grease gun down to make it fit in a tight spot so that leads me to believe that i am missing 1 or 2 fittings because i didn't have any real tight spots to fit the grease gun on.. any thoughts on that!?
Good theory, but it doesn't hold water. The "thud" is prevalent in vehicles without "heavy duty" drive shafts, without regreasable driveshafts (like my 2002 Tundra 2WD), etc.

I think, and have posted this in another thread about this phenomenon, that it has more to do with the load-sensing braking & proportioning valve not regulating the brake pressures properly. Who knows...

·
Registered
65 Posts
well jeez then I can't figure it out... it's a nerve racking sensation i try to compensate in the peddle, sometimes I can avoid it from happening with the right acceleration.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wondering. Could it be the driveshaft center support bearing? The rubber that surrounds the bearing can become disconnected from the housing causing the shaft to bounce.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I get the same thing in my 05 AC 4x4 sometimes, my driveshafts are always lubed well and it doesn't seem to make much difference. When I'm sitting at a light it feels like I am bumped from behind. Some say it's the AC compressor kicking on but it also does this in winter when the AC is not even on. My wifes 09 Corolla also does this winter or summer and it's front wheel drive, no driveshafts.:confused:
I believe your A/C compressor kicks on when using the defroster for the front windshield. Mine always has. Might be the case for the corolla? This causes the truck to lurch forward when at a stop and it kicks on. I have the "thud" too, but mostly when I release the brake pedal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have felt that thud a few times.. Nothing like being rear ended. just feels like the rear end drops. Now that you mention load sensing braking, it feels like it does stop a little more with the rear when i have something in the back. Now next question, Does it make the "thud" when there is a few hundred pounds in the back? My quad is usually back there and it doesn't do it at all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah! when i'm towing my equipment, approx. 2500 pounds i don't experience that at all

1 - 20 of 34 Posts