Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i had my hit and run incident earlier last month, well today after driving back from the desert i got T'd at 45+ at an intersection on the passender side bed right behind the car. it spun me around 180+ degres, ripped the back axle out of the truck and spun it 90 degres shearing the drive line off, pushed the bed side in so far the floor supports were protrudeing through the skin, buckled the bed floor and bent the frame. Also it spun me around so far that the back left corner on the drivers side hit a parked mercedes. :td: my digital camera didnt want to turn on, hopefully i can get pics at the yard or something to show you guys. :(

·
Registered
848 Posts
well i hope everyone was ok ... but now after your insurance gets ahold of it a 1st gen tundra is probally going to get a 5.7l swap..

how did the cab hold up ? did the airbags blow?

·
Registered
144 Posts
well i had my hit and run incident earlier last month, well today after driving back from the desert i got T'd at 45+ at an intersection on the passender side bed right behind the car. it spun me around 180+ degres, ripped the back axle out of the truck and spun it 90 degres shearing the drive line off, pushed the bed side in so far the floor supports were protrudeing through the skin, buckled the bed floor and bent the frame. Also it spun me around so far that the back left corner on the drivers side hit a parked mercedes. :td: my digital camera didnt want to turn on, hopefully i can get pics at the yard or something to show you guys. :(
Man, I'm so sorry to hear that, Hope you are ok.......I hate to ask but do you feel all the new features in the Tundra helped out(new re-inforced frames and other new safety features offered) Do you feel they helped out in you being able to walk away from this ok ? Once again, real sorry for accident and hopefully you will get another Tundra.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, the frame buckled right in the wheel well area, i think thats where the open C frame starts ( i dont know cant look at the truck right now :cry: ) the axel came right out of the truck, the only thing holding it it was what was left of the bed, the leaf springs seemed to kinda fall apart. the air bags did not blow because it did not hit the cab at all, the last impact sensor is located on the C pillar of the car. like i said, hopefully i can get pics tomorrow or later today to show you what happened..

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Trucks are replaceable, you are not. Glad you are ok... it seems that truck was cursed... hopefully you'll have better luck with your next one. :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trucks are replaceable, you are not. Glad you are ok... it seems that truck was cursed... hopefully you'll have better luck with your next one. :)

ya that truck was kinda cursed. lol i called my dealership and told em i needed a new one. the sales manager was like " what did you...no...you didnt crash it did you...damn it are you serious..ok ill see what i have on lot.." lol! i didnt even have to say a word.

·
Registered
528 Posts
True.

Glad your okay

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so tonight was an even more odd then today. i went to a local bar here in Pacific Beach, and after a little while the two tow truck drivers that towed my truck and the guy that hit me away came up and started buying me drinks..lol. it was kinda fun chatting with them about how f**ked up my truck was...made my night just a little more interesting...

·
Registered
324 Posts
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hope you are ok and glad to hear you're safe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
That truck will end up being rebuildt, trust me. Always check titles for builders/ salvage, or parts builders when buying. They have too much value and not enough demand for parts yet.

Most insurance companies will not demand used parts until a two year window has passed and since the drivetrains are still under warranty, not much demand for those either.

In my estimating system, the new gen Tundras are not even listed yet. I am interested in part#'s and pricing for some of the items.

Glad to hear everything is ok. Some people claim that the new vehicles are not made well since they crush easier, well they are designed to crush that way so that you don't!

·
Registered
848 Posts
That truck will end up being rebuildt, trust me. Always check titles for builders/ salvage, or parts builders when buying. They have too much value and not enough demand for parts yet.

Most insurance companies will not demand used parts until a two year window has passed and since the drivetrains are still under warranty, not much demand for those either.

In my estimating system, the new gen Tundras are not even listed yet. I am interested in part#'s and pricing for some of the items.

Glad to hear everything is ok. Some people claim that the new vehicles are not made well since they crush easier, well they are designed to crush that way so that you don't!

i agree and if you were local i would have asked you to buy it back from the insurance company and i would rebuild it .. it wouldnt really cost that much because the airbags are intact .. just need to find another tundra that was rolled or had a front end collision to get the parts from ...

rebuilding salvage cars is a hobby of mine ... my 07 scion TC is salvage i bought it in october with 4700 miles on it (prior owner had it for 2 months)for $6700 very light damage... you would be suprised what the insurance will call a total loss because they are too lazy to look at it close to determine how bad the accident really is

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
when you mean the truck will be rebuilt do you mean the insurance company will total it for me, and put me in a new one, or make me keep this wrecked thing? i dont want this truck anymore cause it was hit so hard. i want another one just like it

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good news: You're alive.
Bad news: Most insurance companies just figure up by what it costs to replace by a %. Like if more than 70% of the value to fix, then it's totalled. I have no idea what the percentage is, but I've had a lot of totalled vehicles.

However, when I totalled my new 2004 Dodge Ram, it cost about $12K to fix, and it was a new $24K truck. What sucks is if it's worth less, then you are more likely to go above that percentage. Since your Tundra is so new, it's still worth quite a bit, so the cost of fixing may be signficantly less than what the truck is worth. I'm betting it's still worth a good $28K or $30K easy.

Fight it if you can though, tell the insurance company you don't want it. My Ram after being fixed was NEVER the same again. It shuddered weird and they couldn't fix it. The A/C they tried to fix 3 times and finally replaced the ENTIRE A/C system. Tell them you bought a new truck, and just because some a-hole hit you so soon, you bought a new truck and that's what you want. Even if you have to get your insurance company or yourself to pony up some of the difference if they can, do it, it's worth it in the long run IMO.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i know a truck is never the same again when the frame is bent. to me the right side frame rail was definitly knock out of place by the wheel well. we will see though what they try to do. the good thing is i work at the lexus/toyota dealership here in SD, and if they take it to out bodyshop for repairs, ill have em replace everything that was touched hopefully jacking up the price so high that they will total it out. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Glad your ok...
Insurance compaines must of the time will stick it to you. You will not get what you paid for the truck that is for sure. Unless you have gap insurance then you will be screwed. It will not be replaced but probably by 65- 70 %.

I had to fight with mine before they gave me an acceptable offer on my 95 Acura.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts