Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)First significant tow (from S.Cal to Cental Coast 600 miles round trip) with my new/used 2007 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L. Towing a 2010 30`Jayco Superlite travel trailer. Dry weight of trailer is 6800lbs. certified. This truck replaces a 2002 Tundra Acces Cab TRD 4.7L that was maxed-out and beyond safe when towing my trailer. I do not have the total loaded weight of trailer and truck, but I would estimate an additional 1500-1800lbs for family, fuel, camping gear, etc. The truck performed flawlessy. Gas mileage was 9-10 mpg at 60-65 mph but would significantly decrease at 70-75. 70-75 mph was unheard of in my old rig but is no problem with the Crew Max and even found myself easing off the gas to maintain 65. Maintained with relative ease 60 going up some pretty steep grades, such as the San Marcos pass out of Santa Barbara, and out of Camarillo. Towed in the tow/haul mode and used the S mode for downgrades. Truck handled the weight of the trailer well, you still know it's there but is less affected by sway and bumps. Tranny oil temp stayed dead center, no brake heat up in city driving. Extremely pleased with towing performance and feel a lot safer now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Nice to hear such good stories. What gas are you using? I'm just s few miles from you in Perris. I'll probably heading there this weekend at the Promenade to get some Nike's.:D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Awesome. I use Shell 91. Big difference between 87 and 89 in terms of performance. But that's here in So Cal. Other states may have different additives.
S mode is a great feature. I use it all the time. Turn off ALSD and VSC, you'll feel the power even more.:D

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
Nice combo - welcome points sent.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What is the model number of your trailer? I would like to look at the specs of it for I am wanting to get a bigger camper.

Is it the 304BHK model? I am looking at an Outback 312bh - floor plan is similar to the Jayco 304BHK but for some reason the specs for the 304BHK list more hitch weight (945 compared to 665 for the 312bh)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Another California law violator. The speed limit for towing anything in California is 55 MPH...period! You must drive only in the right hand lanes, and never, never in the "Fast Lane"!

Only 10 round magazines are allowed in your handgun, but it is illegal to have one in your possession while driving. It is legal to Open Carry a handgun, but only if it is empty and you have no ammo readily available.

Me, I live in Arizona..it's legal to tow @ 75 MPH, carry a loaded handgun in my truck, and it has a 17 round magazine. California sucks...been there and will never go back!

9-10 is about right. Highest I got towing my 27', 6000 pound TT was 12 in Texas...where by the way the posted limit was 80. If you have Goodyear Marathon tires on your trailer, they are only rated for 65 MPH. From Goodyear:

The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Product Service D805
Akron, Ohio 44316-0001
March 27, 2006

SUBJECT: Marathon Special Trailer Applications - General Information
Goodyear Marathon tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded
as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
This information is designed to help you obtain the best performance from tires with the ST (Special Trailer)
designation. Please review the following important points with your Goodyear Marathon customers.
· Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed restricted to 65 MPH under normal
inflation and load conditions unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of the tire.

· Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is
necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load.
o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.
· Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and reduce speeds when necessary based on vehicle, road,
weather or traffic conditions.
· Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer. The trailer
manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire information placard or
vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer.
· Cold inflation pressures should be checked every morning during trips and monthly while in storage.
· Vehicles or trailers should not be overloaded. The tire information placard, vehicle certification labels or
owner’s manual should be checked for the maximum recommended load.
Vehicle speed, load and inflation pressures, all of which are within control of the driver, are critical factors for the
safe and enjoyable operation of any vehicle.
Important tire care information and the

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes is the 304 BHK model. It works perfectly for my family of 5, 3 kids, wife. The rear bunks, three of them are very handy. I do not want to make up beds when its downtime. The best part of the trailer is the optional outside kitchen consisting of frig, sink, cabinets, and cook top. Love it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks

Did you happen to look into the Outback 312BH or just the Jayco?

Wonder why the hitch weight is much more on the Jayco than the Outback.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Have towed more and never used more than 87 at the pumps.......

Can't believe you towed that much with your previous 7/8ths Tundra.

Nice write up.....these things are towing machines for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I did not look into the Outback. I really liked what I saw in the Jayco and the dealership. Good luck with your buying decision.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts