Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Tundra Crew Max with powered mirrors. I wanted to purchase a pair of the powered telescopic towing mirrors for my Tundra, but I am told by the Toyota Parts Department that the powered telescopic mirrors will not work with my Tundra. I wasn't told why, but after researching the internet I am gathering that the powered mirrors on my Tundra has 16 hole - 3 prong electrical connectors and the powered telescopic mirrors have 18 hole - 8 prong electrical connectors (maybe because they have turn signals built into them). So I was told my only option was to buy clip on towing mirrors. Does anyone know if an adaptor connector is available to connect a 18 hole - 8 prong connector to a 16 hole - 3 prong connector so the telescopic mirrors can be use with my Tundra or if there are any Aftermarket telescopic towing mirrors for the Tundra that would work with the 16 hole - 3 prong connectors.:ts:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
doing some research here will help you. even have a diy sticky in the diy section where i did this.

if u have power mirrors, the power tow mirrors will work. BUT with only three wires you will not have the running lights and turn signals nor will you have heat. if thats ok to you then you are done. if u want the lights follow my DIY in the sticky DIY thread and u can easily run wires for the tow mirror lights. you could take it one step farther and wire up an aftermarket switch and wiring and get the heat function to work as well. (muth mirrors sells an add on heated glass switch/kit that would work well in this application).

so yeah, long story short, if u have 3 wires u have power only and will get power only on the tow mirrors. u can add the others if u don some custom wiring. but they all bolt up the same so no issues. its all about what you are expecting to get.

·
Registered
860 Posts
FYI, the telescoping aspect is not powered, the power is for the main mirror angle and on the 2010s folding. If you want them to fold you have to get the 2010s. I just asked Jamie at Sparks if he ever sorted out the part number, he had been working on it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
FYI, the telescoping aspect is not powered, the power is for the main mirror angle and on the 2010s folding. If you want them to fold you have to get the 2010s. I just asked Jamie at Sparks if he ever sorted out the part number, he had been working on it.
hes got the part number, smack, its in the thread that was yours that i thnk we hijacked into a power tow thread haha. but the power fold wont work for this guy without the harnesses and switch...even then we arent sure if it will work on a pre10 truck just yet, its not been tried. plus the power fold ones are quite a bit more than the regular manual fold ones....

here's from your old thread:

I actually think I have the part numbers now. I checked a older tow mirror vs the new one on Smacks truck and they are EXACTLY the same so I honestly have no idea how in the world they get it to fold or where they hide the motors. I did notice that the female connector on the mirror for the 2010 TM has 3 pins on the bottom right and the older TM has only 1. That is the only physical difference. Also the new TM is 1 lbs heavier so I would assume that would mean that it does in fact have the motor inside to power fold.

RH side: 87910-0C281

LH side: 87940-0C281

They retail for $471.39 each and we can sell them for $360.00 each.

Now that being said, I have no way to know if this mirror will work on a 2007-2009 Tundra and if the power fold option will even work. I know you will need a switch which I am showing to be: 84870-0C040 from Smacks truck which retails for $135.72 and we can sell it for $108.58. If one person is willing to try this PM me and we'll figure something out. I need you to be serious, I can't in no means give them away but I'll work a deal out with ONE individual that wants to try this out and see if they can get it to work by just PnP.

Thanks,

Jamie

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181915-smacks-new-tundra-pics-2/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response Smack. I know the telescopic "In" and "Out" and "Folding" is done manually. I was only trying to say thatI wanted to replace the stock powered mirrors that came on my Tundra with telescopic towing mirrors for towing my Travel Trailer. However, Toyota says the telescopic towing mirrors will not function on my Tundra due to the connection differences, so I was hoping someone has come up with an adaptor to resolve the connection problem because I did not want to use clip on towing mirrors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is a question for ya. I have a 2010 with the manual tow mirror. I would love to have the folding option, so is this a direct swap and I just get a switch or I have to rewire everything?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks for your response Smack. I know the telescopic "In" and "Out" and "Folding" is done manually. I was only trying to say thatI wanted to replace the stock powered mirrors that came on my Tundra with telescopic towing mirrors for towing my Travel Trailer. However, Toyota says the telescopic towing mirrors will not function on my Tundra due to the connection differences, so I was hoping someone has come up with an adaptor to resolve the connection problem because I did not want to use clip on towing mirrors.
If you're not after power folding, then what will not "function"? The power mirror adjust?

I think lots of people have swapped out for tow mirrors. Do some searching.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I swapped regular power/heated mirrors out for the e-bay tow mirrors and it was direct plug and play. I have the sr5 version though and didn't have to rewire anything. Turn signals work. Now if your truck only had the three wires then look at what Barney said up there^^^. Mine are manual fold and manual extend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a question for ya. I have a 2010 with the manual tow mirror. I would love to have the folding option, so is this a direct swap and I just get a switch or I have to rewire everything?
I am in the same boat.

I have a 2010 (Rock Warrior) Tundra.
It came with powered and heated mirrors that manually fold.
However, I need towing mirrors.
The truck does not have the auto folding switch option.
What are my options?
Can I buy 2010-up tundra tow mirrors and the folding mirror switch?
Will everything be there for a nice plug n play install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 08 Tundra came with power and heated sport mirrors. The dealership told me they would have to rewire the truck to accommodate tow mirrors. Untrue. I bought a pair of tow mirrors from TRD Toyota-Scion Performance Parts Accessories from Sparks Toyota-Scion. They plugged right in. The power adjustment, heat, and turn signaled all worked. They are manually folding/extending. I have zero mechanical ability and i swapped out the mirrors in about 30 minutes. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great info... Last question then.

Are there two different type of GENUINE Toyota Tundra Tow Mirrors?
1) Power Folding
2) Manual Folding

If so, what happens if I install the power folding tow mirrors on my 2010 truck? Do I just need to buy the power folding tow mirror switch to get that function to work?

THANKS!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Blinged out Tundra's have power folding mirrors. I do not know what happens if you install the power folding mirror if your truck doesn't have that option. I recommend you call TRDsparks. They were really helpful when I purchased my mirrors from them 2 years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Blinged out Tundra's have power folding mirrors. I do not know what happens if you install the power folding mirror if your truck doesn't have that option. I recommend you call TRDsparks. They were really helpful when I purchased my mirrors from them 2 years ago.
Here is the response from Jamie Sutherland at TRDSparks:

Unfortunately the only info regarding what is needed is on the forums. We've sold the parts which have only been the powerfold mirrors and the switch but we do not know if it will be plug and play.

Has anyone tried doing this?

Also, does anyone know the part numbers for...
-Manual Folding Tow Mirrors
-Power Folding Tow Mirrors
-Power Folding Mirror Switch

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI: AllDATA does not have information regarding Tundra Tow Mirrors

I have gotten mixed information on TundraSolutions.

Some say there ARE
TOYOTA power folding tow mirrors

and some say there are ONLY
TOYOTA manual folding tow mirrors

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 Tundra Limited with power options (lights, heat, adjust and folding). Looking for tow mirrors that will fit. Also, need guidance on how to remove the current mirror set-up and install tow mirrors.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2011 Tundra Limited with power options (lights, heat, adjust and folding). Looking for tow mirrors that will fit. Also, need guidance on how to remove the current mirror set-up and install tow mirrors.
2011 and 2010 use the same mirrors part number is above in the post its says you get them for 360.00 each side power folding..as far as installing them you have to take off the door panel I believe there is 3 screws and a bunch of white clips.. you will need a Philip screw driver,clip puller and 10mm.. you may find pictures some where on this site

hope this helps
good luck with your project

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI:
Since it was an unknown, I went ahead and bought a set of power folding tow mirrors as well as the power folding switch for my 2010.
Everything works except for the power folding switch. I looked and this truck is missing the two wires between a wire junction under the dash and each mirror. The wiring at the switch is there however. It could be manually wired but getting through the door looks like a ***** so I am returning the $150 switch, but I am still going to use the mirrors.
Note: the passenger mirror is not wide angle. Toyota must not of made RHD and LHD specific tow mirrors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hes got the part number, smack, its in the thread that was yours that i thnk we hijacked into a power tow thread haha. but the power fold wont work for this guy without the harnesses and switch...even then we arent sure if it will work on a pre10 truck just yet, its not been tried. plus the power fold ones are quite a bit more than the regular manual fold ones....

here's from your old thread:

I actually think I have the part numbers now. I checked a older tow mirror vs the new one on Smacks truck and they are EXACTLY the same so I honestly have no idea how in the world they get it to fold or where they hide the motors. I did notice that the female connector on the mirror for the 2010 TM has 3 pins on the bottom right and the older TM has only 1. That is the only physical difference. Also the new TM is 1 lbs heavier so I would assume that would mean that it does in fact have the motor inside to power fold.

RH side: 87910-0C281

LH side: 87940-0C281

They retail for $471.39 each and we can sell them for $360.00 each.

Now that being said, I have no way to know if this mirror will work on a 2007-2009 Tundra and if the power fold option will even work. I know you will need a switch which I am showing to be: 84870-0C040 from Smacks truck which retails for $135.72 and we can sell it for $108.58. If one person is willing to try this PM me and we'll figure something out. I need you to be serious, I can't in no means give them away but I'll work a deal out with ONE individual that wants to try this out and see if they can get it to work by just PnP.

Thanks,

Jamie

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181915-smacks-new-tundra-pics-2/

Jamie,

Did anybody ever try this?? I have a 2011 TRD SR5 that I would be willing to try this on. I need the tow mirrors with auto folding.

Thanks,
Santi

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Tundra Crew Max with powered mirrors. I wanted to purchase a pair of the powered telescopic towing mirrors for my Tundra, but I am told by the Toyota Parts Department that the powered telescopic mirrors will not work with my Tundra. I wasn't told why, but after researching the internet I am gathering that the powered mirrors on my Tundra has 16 hole - 3 prong electrical connectors and the powered telescopic mirrors have 18 hole - 8 prong electrical connectors (maybe because they have turn signals built into them). So I was told my only option was to buy clip on towing mirrors. Does anyone know if an adaptor connector is available to connect a 18 hole - 8 prong connector to a 16 hole - 3 prong connector so the telescopic mirrors can be use with my Tundra or if there are any Aftermarket telescopic towing mirrors for the Tundra that would work with the 16 hole - 3 prong connectors.:ts:
Check out 1Auto. Great mirror selection.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts