Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my story and I will keep brief as possible. I woke up on fri morning to leave for work. Started up truck and went to put into gear. Nothing!. Turned off the truck and restarted. It clunks into forward. I drive into work without any shifting problems or anything. I get to work and go to put into park and notice that every gear i go in to is forward. Even park! It clicked in to park but still felt motor loaded into gear. I call dealership to explain situation and that I had it in there about a year ago saying I had transmission problems. Wasnt shifting right and would shake going into gear sometimes. They told me then that it was normal for the tundra trans(Yea Right!). Anyways, they said bring it down and they would take care of it. Well now I get back in truck and start heading down the road and the whole dash lights up. 4wheel drive light, traction light, engine light and maybe a few others. Got to dealer limping. After 5 or 6 hours they came out and said I needed a new transmission and converter. Somewere in the $9k range. So I asked why wasnt this problems taking care of when I had said something a year ago? No answers. They say we are going to call our area rep and we will get back to you in a little bit. So another 1 1/2 hours go by and they come back saying toyota is going to take care of parts if you pay the labor. So here i am without a truck and it was going to cost me almost $3k to fix myself. I tell them to go ahead and do it. Im still not happy that I had to pay any of it and I am still waiting to hear back from toyota about this. This problem should have been addressed last year when I told them about it. Now another thing is why do they replace the whole transmission when there are just some of the solenoids gone bad? Do they not train the techs how to open up a transmission? Cause the codes that came out of the computer were shift solenoid failure. A couple of solenoids would have been alot cheaper than replacing transmission and it wouldnt even had to come out of truck. I am a full blown toyota customer but the outcome of this could really sway me. I buy toyotas cause i dont want to failures like this. Sorry if there are grammar errors it was a quick type

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
So sorry to hear about that... can you provide more info on your truck/situation? What year is the truck? Model? 4x4? Miles? The power train is covered by a 5yr./60K mile warranty and that includes the transmission, so check in to that if you think you qualify...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So sorry to hear about that... can you provide more info on your truck/situation? What year is the truck? Model? 4x4? Miles? The power train is covered by a 5yr./60K mile warranty and that includes the transmission, so check in to that if you think you qualify...
The truck had 49k on it when i originally took it in for first problem with transmission. It now has 69k on it and only had the standard warranty. The truck is a 2007 CM with 5.7 and is 4x4.

·
Registered
918 Posts
If Id documented this issue prior to the warranty expiring, no way in hell would I be paying one single red cent. I would be sitting down with someone from that dealership and making them understand why I'm not happy that I have to cut a 3000 dollar check to fix something knowing they blew me off when it would have been covered. Be professional but be firm and don't leave til the bill is zero.

Amazing how alot of dealerships have difficulty diagnosing warranty issues but alot less problem tracking down problems when it looks like you will be paying out of pocket. It was the same with my Dodge. At 7 or 12000 miles, I would have to fight and argue and make the tech take me on test drives and point out blatantly obvious symptoms before they were acknowledged. At 75000 miles I would drop it off and within a couple hours get my phone call with the official in-depth 2-3 thousand dollar diagnosis. At 10,000 miles, 'They all do this.' At 70 thousand miles, apparently this is not necessarily the case.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I would not approve of the cost secondary to it being a pre-existing problem.

On a side note: $9,000 for a transmission, tq converter, and labor!!!! I'd tell them give me the parts and I'll do the labor if they won't back done covering the entire job.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
If you have proof of going in under warranty with same concern, don't pay the 3000 till you talk to dealership owner if you have to and TOYOTA corp with faxing paper proof of your concern when you were under warranty.

If you said OK to fix it, then it will be after the fact AND trying to get money back.

Sorry for your troubles and trannys should not go out so soon, PERIOD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it is all documented and I am now fighting with toyota corporate about refunding me the money i paid. I had to get truck fixed either way and for me to do the repairs myself it would have cost me close to 3k. The dealership ended up charging me 1800 paying just the labor and toyota covered parts. I feel the same way I shouldnt have to pay anything. The problem was there and they ignored it and now its totally shot and out of warranty. Believe me its not over yet. We will see how toyota handles this

·
Registered
754 Posts
I will say it again toyota needs to get their head out of the arses!!! they need to stoping thinking, "ITS A TOYOTA NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH IT"...those days are gone the old hiluxes could forever, but not the newer vehicles.
Well it is all documented and I am now fighting with toyota corporate about refunding me the money i paid. I had to get truck fixed either way and for me to do the repairs myself it would have cost me close to 3k. The dealership ended up charging me 1800 paying just the labor and toyota covered parts. I feel the same way I shouldnt have to pay anything. The problem was there and they ignored it and now its totally shot and out of warranty. Believe me its not over yet. We will see how toyota handles this

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is scary.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
You are saying 1800 dollars in labor to change a trans. What do they get for a labor rate. It shouldn't take 3 hr's to change a trans. Man do I have to go back to yanking wrenches.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Every day I read something like this.:mad:..My gas burner that sounds like a diesel when cold or hot, air pumps, clunking drive shafts,ALSD, front differentials, wheel bearings, sticking gas pedals..

I'm too old to put up with anymore...:cry3d: Which way to the nearest Ford dealership? I have never owned one but they are looking better & better each day...

Will not consider GM as long as it is owned by the Federal Reserve..

·
Registered
754 Posts
its scary I tell ya, but I believe we look for things and see what we want to see. Ford will give you just as much trouble. Fords customer service on warranty is worse than toyotas, go figure. IM not bashing ford, but those will have its issues also.....you read only one thread with transmission failures next thing you know another NEWBIE with his FIRST POST COMES IN HERE saying 'OH NOSE MY TUNDRS TRANSMISSION FAILED' and yet how can we believe this person. I believe in this day and age is to DOCUMENT EVERYTHING even if its a ford or gm...does not matter.
Every day I read something like this.:mad:..My gas burner that sounds like a diesel when cold or hot, air pumps, clunking drive shafts,ALSD, front differentials, wheel bearings, sticking gas pedals..

I'm too old to put up with anymore...:cry3d: Which way to the nearest Ford dealership? I have never owned one but they are looking better & better each day...

Will not consider GM as long as it is owned by the Federal Reserve..

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
While Ford's CS won't be any better (and more than likely worse than Toyota).. (We haven't had to use Ford's warranty in 4 new Ford vehicles) but, I have had to use it more than a few times for small details on the Tundra (nothing big), their PARTS will be cheaper. 9K grand for all that is ridiculous. You can get a rebuilt transmission for a Ford Diesel that will handle more power than you can ever imagine for like $5000.

-rockstate

·
Registered
13 Posts
God I cant believe people sometimes. Toyota does not have to do anything for you! You are out of warranty. Just because you mention your transmission during warranty does not mean that they own the transmission forever. If you are having a problem its your responsiblity to get your vehicle in the shop. Then bring it back if your still having a problem. IF you owned a chevy or ford you would not get anything. Toyota offers goodwill as a customer satisfaction. So be satisfied! Sorry dont mean to vent but be grateful that Toyota still has enough money to help customers in goodwill situations. Try that at GM LOL.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
The 3 fords that I owned, all the transmissions were gone by 100,000 miles, so not too impressed with their setups either. I still remember the commercials when the Tundra came out, talking about the ring gear, the brakes, and how you will have less maintenance on the TRANSMISSION. I guess they didn't account for complete failure. And what about the shift solenoid? Makes no sense that they wouldn't replace the solenoid first???? Well I guess you might have another 70,000 without problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its scary I tell ya, but I believe we look for things and see what we want to see. Ford will give you just as much trouble. Fords customer service on warranty is worse than toyotas, go figure. IM not bashing ford, but those will have its issues also.....you read only one thread with transmission failures next thing you know another NEWBIE with his FIRST POST COMES IN HERE saying 'OH NOSE MY TUNDRS TRANSMISSION FAILED' and yet how can we believe this person. I believe in this day and age is to DOCUMENT EVERYTHING even if its a ford or gm...does not matter.
This may be my first post but I have been around this industry for a long time. People can believe what they want. I just posted my senario up for people to see. And I believe you meant "OH NO MY TUNDRAS tRANSMISSION FAILED". Which obviously it did if it was at the dealership and getting replaced. Im not on here for drama just facts!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
God I cant believe people sometimes. Toyota does not have to do anything for you! You are out of warranty. Just because you mention your transmission during warranty does not mean that they own the transmission forever. If you are having a problem its your responsiblity to get your vehicle in the shop. Then bring it back if your still having a problem. IF you owned a chevy or ford you would not get anything. Toyota offers goodwill as a customer satisfaction. So be satisfied! Sorry dont mean to vent but be grateful that Toyota still has enough money to help customers in goodwill situations. Try that at GM LOL.
What exactly dont you believe or understand? The truck was taken in to the same dealer for troubleshooting a problem that was going on with transmission. They said everything was normal and that was how the tundra trans is supposed to be. YEA OK! All transmission shake going into gear and sometimes just clunk into gear. So the problem should have been takin care of while under warranty. Did you not read it was in there for that?? I have owned many toyotas and build a bunch of toyotas to race. Never have had problems with any others like I have with the new tundra. The reason toyota still is what they are is because they do build a good vehicle but dont make a crap peice and try to hide the problem. I am not you gas pedal bs story person. I am simply on here to state facts. And I would never own a GM!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 3 fords that I owned, all the transmissions were gone by 100,000 miles, so not too impressed with their setups either. I still remember the commercials when the Tundra came out, talking about the ring gear, the brakes, and how you will have less maintenance on the TRANSMISSION. I guess they didn't account for complete failure. And what about the shift solenoid? Makes no sense that they wouldn't replace the solenoid first???? Well I guess you might have another 70,000 without problems.
Yea the new tundra was all hyped up. Would have loved to see them taking the trailer up that ramp with my transmission when it failed. No they never said anything about just replacing the solenoids. That would make too much sense. Might actually save them some money. Yea i am hoping this transmission takes me a few more miles but we will see how it goes

1 - 20 of 49 Posts